Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20 2009, 05:29 PM   #271
Middle Earther
Commodore

View Middle Earther's Twitter Profile
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

I was a bit leery of this at first and made an impulse buy to get it. I was pleasantly surprised by how it drew me in. I'm looking forward to the series!

I especially like the idea of the 16yo trapped in the Cylon prototype. The origins of the Cylon's monotheism seems less solid that in was in BSG. Is it just silliness? No, but wait, this god actually did bring Starbuck back and guided the colonial fleet. No, but wait... I think that kind of discussion demonstrates how complelling this show is. It brings up more questions than answers, which is perfect for a new series to start with. Just the length of this thread testifies that there is something good beginning.

I also like the mob connection for the Adama family. Perhaps Bill was involved in the gangster life when he got older and decided to join the Colonial Fleet to escape that lifestyle? There's a lot of interesting ideas that could come out of that.
Old June 22 2009, 01:53 PM   #272
Q2UnME
Commodore

I received "Caprica" yesterday as a Father's Day present from my boys. Last night, Mrs.Q2 and I sat down and watched it. The first 10 min. or so was .

As others have mentioned, we thought it was a bit slow in the beguinning, but picked up nicely from the mid-point on. We liked it. When the end credits rolled, Mrs. Q2 turned to me and said "Is that it? Put on the next one!". I guess RDM did his job on this one too!

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Old June 25 2009, 02:56 AM   #273
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

It was okay. The pilot did a decent job of establishing parameters for the series, but it was nowhere near as transcendent as the BSG miniseries.
Old June 26 2009, 06:38 PM   #274
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
It was okay. The pilot did a decent job of establishing parameters for the series, but it was nowhere near as transcendent as the BSG miniseries.
But the miniseries was double the length of this so it is tough to compare.
Old June 30 2009, 05:44 PM   #275
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I especially like the idea of the 16yo trapped in the Cylon prototype.
As do I. I love it. All of the cylons we see are remnants of Zoe Graystone's consciousness--a spoiled 16 year old with technological genius, who's quick to judgment because she lacks maturity, and has no real wisdom or life experience.....sounds like a child race of beings we all know very well. Plus, the prototype has Zoe-A's fear and loathing of humanity. Talk about a recipe for catastrophic disaster.

Are people really like that? she asked Zoe.....and then Zoe was dead the next day. Humanity's already dead. They just don't know it. Personally, I think what's left of Zoe and Zoe-A will literally go mad being trapped.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old July 2 2009, 03:12 AM   #276
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Having finally listened to the very good commentary track for Caprica, one interesting bit of information is that the V Club is the same building as the Opera House.
Old July 4 2009, 10:48 PM   #277
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

After seeing Virtuality, I'm happy that Caprica is the "virtual reality based series" that now has the chance to go to series. I just think the characters and the actors in Caprica, as well as the premise, has a lot more going for it.

They should dragoon the guy who played the VR villain (Jimmi Simpson) into Caprica, as anything but a creepy villain. It's weird that the actor I liked best was playing the most loathsome character, but I get the sense the guy has the versatility to play any role, and I really like actors like that (and hate to see them typecast just because they're really good a certain type of role).

I also liked the stand-in for Baltar, actually the anti-Baltar since he turned out to be one of the most sympathetic characters - James D'arcy. And the doc, played by Omar Metwally. All three seem like they'd fit the Caprica style wonderfully.

So, since Virtuality is almost certainly toast, any chance that RDM will decide to write for Caprica now?
Old July 5 2009, 04:02 AM   #278
Mr Light
Admiral

I finally got to see Caprica. I dunno if I could watch it as a weekly series I think I would get too bored, but it was interesting to see the origin of the Cylons.

--Where does this story fit into the pre-established timeline of the Final Five arriving at the Colonies and hooking up with the Cylons? They arrived at the end of the First Cylon War, right? So the Final Five had nothing to do with the creation of this Cylon iteration and will not appear in the series?
--Was Zoey and this monotheist cult supposed to be the invisible hand of Not-God creating yet another Cylon iteration until it's experiment is successful? Did Zoey's specialness and her special avatar sentience after death mean she's an angel like Head-Six and Head-Baltar?
--Were all the boobies and teenage girls making out with each other REALLY necessary?
--This one from my better half: were the human sacrifices in the sex club the same method that the mobster uses to execute Cancer Man? Was that supposed to be a literal connection or just teenagers aping mob executions?
--They ever talk about the Tauron mob in the BSG series?
--I thought that the BSG series established Pappa Adama as a saintly civil rights lawyer. But here he's a mob lawyer delivering threats to politicans and arranging corporate theft. Is it just that he became a good guy after these earlier transgressions and Lil'Adama was never aware of his dark past?
--I really liked the friendly little scooter robot. Particularly when they were fleeing in terror from the Cylon and getting gunned down!
--Was the Cylon with Zoey's avatar in it the same one that successfully passed the shooting range test?

Old July 5 2009, 05:13 AM   #279
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

--Where does this story fit into the pre-established timeline of the Final Five arriving at the Colonies and hooking up with the Cylons? They arrived at the end of the First Cylon War, right? So the Final Five had nothing to do with the creation of this Cylon iteration and will not appear in the series?
Not unless the series lasts until the end of the first cylon war, which is several years away at present. This story takes place apprx. 10 years before the start of the first cylon war. Yes, the final five arrived at the end of the first war. They were the ones who convinced the monotheistic, mechanical cylons to pull back and declare a ceasefire. The final five created the skinjobs (while the mechanicals had stalled out with the hybrids) and gave them resurrection technology. The final five created resurrection technology The final five thought they were doing the right thing, but Cavil hijacked everything years later.

Was Zoey and this monotheist cult supposed to be the invisible hand of Not-God creating yet another Cylon iteration until it's experiment is successful?
No. Not-God just kind of hangs back and observes. It allows humanity to destroy itself.

Did Zoey's specialness and her special avatar sentience after death mean she's an angel like Head-Six and Head-Baltar?
Most definitely not. She's a sixteen year old, spoiled immature human girl with little wisdom, but with inestimable computer genius that she inherited from her father, Daniel. She thinks she can change the worlds for the better, but her legacy is humanity's destruction instead. As Sister Clarice said to Zoe in a deleted scene, "Sometimes fate is a victim of chance." Humanity's fate--to be destroyed--was a victim of chance--Ben blowing up the train with Zoe and Zoe-A being discovered by her distraught father and being used for purposes not intended by Zoe. Zoe-A isn't Zoe. She's a frightened copy of her who de-rezzes when she becomes overwhelmed. Who knows what will go in the cylon mind once Zoe-A grows more agitated at being trapped and being used for warlike purpose? Nothing good for humanity. Does Zoe-A's mind deteriorate? My guess is yes. Had Zoe Graystone lived she might have grown out of her monotheistic beliefs, and Daniel certainly wouldn't have hijacked Zoe-A for download. Zoe's death doomed humanity.

This one from my better half: were the human sacrifices in the sex club the same method that the mobster uses to execute Cancer Man? Was that supposed to be a literal connection or just teenagers aping mob executions?
Just a bunch of teenagers being sick and twisted.

They ever talk about the Tauron mob in the BSG series?
Nope. Doesn't mean it didn't exist, but the colonies became united after the first cylon war.

I thought that the BSG series established Pappa Adama as a saintly civil rights lawyer. But here he's a mob lawyer delivering threats to politicans and arranging corporate theft. Is it just that he became a good guy after these earlier transgressions and Lil'Adama was never aware of his dark past?
Romo Lampkin implied to Lee that Joseph wasn't as saintly as he was perceived to be. It's never been established exactly what Bill did or did not know, but I expect he became privvy to many secrets as he grew older. He recognized Leoben as a cylon at Ragnar station (before the humans knew that cylons could look human). Think about that for a minute. It always struck me as strange. Methinks that young William will become aware of Tamara and Zoe Graystone's fate at some point. Daniel still has access to Tamara's avatar.

Was the Cylon with Zoey's avatar in it the same one that successfully passed the shooting range test?
Yes.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old July 5 2009, 08:13 AM   #280
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I thought that the BSG series established Pappa Adama as a saintly civil rights lawyer. But here he's a mob lawyer delivering threats to politicans and arranging corporate theft. Is it just that he became a good guy after these earlier transgressions and Lil'Adama was never aware of his dark past?
Romo Lampkin implied to Lee that Joseph wasn't as saintly as he was perceived to be.
Lee already knew. He mentioned that he didn't really know what to make of his grandfather, since he would swing between bravely defending civil rights and getting murderers freed. The season 3 finale was actually written not long after the script to Caprica was completed, so that was a direct allusion to Joseph's mob connections. There was also another line that didn't make much sense to me until I saw Caprica, when Lampkin listed off questions of human nature that Joseph wanted to find the answers to. Most of it was basic stuff, "why we hurt the ones we love, but show mercy to our enemies," but the last, most pointed one, "why we create machines to make up for our own shortcomings," that one doesn't really make much sense as a driving question of human nature until you see the context of Joseph getting wrapped up in Daniel's quest to resurrect his daughter.

It's never been established exactly what Bill did or did not know, but I expect he became privvy to many secrets as he grew older. He recognized Leoben as a cylon at Ragnar station (before the humans knew that cylons could look human). Think about that for a minute. It always struck me as strange. Methinks that young William will become aware of Tamara and Zoe Graystone's fate at some point. Daniel still has access to Tamara's avatar.
I'd credit Adama's intuitive leap about Leoban more to what he saw in "Razor" with the experiments grafting human bodies to cylon machines. (I like to think that also accounts for a small part of his "That's not very damn funny" reaction when he was asked if he was a [mechanical] cylon during his polygraph test.)
Old July 5 2009, 11:43 AM   #281
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Was the Cylon with Zoey's avatar in it the same one that successfully passed the shooting range test?
Yes.
Um, you sure? Isn't it the Cylon who fell apart in Daniel's lab when he first implanted the chip instead?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old July 5 2009, 02:55 PM   #282
Mr Light
Admiral

I thought the chip he put in the Cylon WAS Zoey's Avatar? That's why he freaks out because he thinks he killed his dead daughter again and he runs into the VR and can't find her... because she's still in the Cylon.

Old July 5 2009, 05:45 PM   #283
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post

Yes.
Um, you sure? Isn't it the Cylon who fell apart in Daniel's lab when he first implanted the chip instead?
It didn't fall apart, it fell over. They probably only had the one demo prototype cylon, and even if they didn't, he definitely only had the one stolen processor. Daniel doubtless loaded in the combat AI programming into the processor, thinking that Zoe-A had crashed totally, unaware that her program was still in the processor, sitting right next to the fighting AI.
Old July 20 2009, 12:51 PM   #284
Sagart
Fleet Captain

I watched it last night and thought it was very good. It's promises much; here's hoping they can follow it through. I don't get all the 'it was boring' comments though. Sure, it's very talky but that's not a bad thing.
Old July 20 2009, 02:40 PM   #285
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I thought the chip he put in the Cylon WAS Zoey's Avatar? That's why he freaks out because he thinks he killed his dead daughter again and he runs into the VR and can't find her... because she's still in the Cylon.
Because despite being an IT-Genius he apparently doesn't know the difference between Cut&Paste and Copy&Paste.

That's the one thing that really bugs me about the movie.