Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2 2009, 07:45 PM   #241
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Immolatus wrote: View Post
it possible. he could have gone on to college after high school. it's not like he (or rather his father) didn't have connections and not get into college or put off the draft (if they had one) until his schooling was over
The math still doesn't add up--he'd be done with college eight years before the end of the war.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old May 3 2009, 12:38 AM   #242
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Well, that's what happens when you have to fix things. IIRC, the original script said Caprica was set 52 years before the fall, with an eight-year-old Willy Adama. Then they remembered that, wait, 52 years was when the war started (and when the colonies federalized as a result), not when they cylons were built, and they also got an actor who was too big to pass as eight. So, the opening text gets altered, and the dialogue gets tweaked, and now we suddenly have a Bill Adama who's eight years older than makes any sense.

Ideally, they'll figure out some more artful way around it when the show goes to series, hopefully without completely cutting the Young Willy (they better start calling him "Billy" soon) character completely. Maybe mention an infant William, and that the twelve-year-old is Adama's older brother. Just dub his name over.
Old May 3 2009, 04:21 AM   #243
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

It's funny how all the reviews kept stating this show took place 50 years before BSG when the movie clearly opens with a caption that puts it at nearly 60 years before BSG.

I know the series bible stated that Adama fought in the last year of the war but I have a feeling they might retcon that. Just like they retconned Tigh not fighting in the war when they made him a Cylon. I can't see Bill Adama staying out the war for years on end. That doesn't fit his character and I also don't see him as some kind of anti-military type in his youth. Though I've never believed that Razor Miniepisodes establishing that his fighting in the original war consisted of one insignificant battle on the last day of the conflict.
Old May 3 2009, 04:37 AM   #244
ATimson
Rear Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
It's funny how all the reviews kept stating this show took place 50 years before BSG when the movie clearly opens with a caption that puts it at nearly 60 years before BSG.
So they rounded with a bigger unit than a decade. Boo hoo.

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I know the series bible stated that Adama fought in the last year of the war but I have a feeling they might retcon that.
It's not just the series bible, though; it's Razor as well, as you referenced. Theoretically, he could have fought on the ground or possibly aboard a capital ship earlier, just not in a snubfigher.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old May 3 2009, 11:20 PM   #245
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
Ideally, they'll figure out some more artful way around it when the show goes to series, hopefully without completely cutting the Young Willy (they better start calling him "Billy" soon) character completely. Maybe mention an infant William, and that the twelve-year-old is Adama's older brother. Just dub his name over.
Why bother, 11YO 58 years before the fall makes Bill Adama a believable 69 in the mini-series and 73 come the end of the show. With futuristic healthcare and a healthy lifestyle all quite logical.

Any minor references that bother you you cna just rationalise with rounding and estimation. I don't always get years right talking about my life and I'm nowhere near Adama's age.
Old May 4 2009, 03:05 AM   #246
Scout101
Admiral

"Futuristic healthcare"? Did we watch the same series? BSG was pretty ghetto even by 2009 standards...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old May 4 2009, 03:23 AM   #247
Harvey
Admiral

The fleet didn't have futuristic healthcare, to be sure, but Caprica was probably far better off. We already know that the colonies had possession of anti-radiation medication that doesn't exist in the present day.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old May 4 2009, 10:39 PM   #248
Scout101
Admiral

I'll check out the first couple episodes, but after watching the pilot, I don't love it. Seems like just trading on the names/characters to try and beat a dead horse. None of the stuff I liked about the series is in this one, and even seems like the stuff they're including screws with what was already established, so might end up just taking a pass on this...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old May 5 2009, 02:53 PM   #249
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
The fleet didn't have futuristic healthcare, to be sure, but Caprica was probably far better off. We already know that the colonies had possession of anti-radiation medication that doesn't exist in the present day.
Why do you think their healthcare was not futuristic? It might have been basic compared to the presumably advanced and amazing hospitals of the colonies, but even basic healthcare in the hnow is better than any healthcare in the 18th century.

The science in BSG is deliberately made to look basic, but they are way, way in advance of 21st century Earth. Therefore even Cottle's limited resources probably give him abilities we would find pretty impressive.

The colonies may be 200 years ahead of us in terms of medical technology, they seem to be in every other field of technology. They do however seem to have not cured cancer, or be able to work miracles with Gaeta's infected leg.

Its a lovely mish-mash IMHO. In some ways they look primitive by our standards but they also have FTL travel! I would rationalise a similar advance in medical tech as in space-travel tech, but your mileage may vary.
Old May 5 2009, 03:58 PM   #250
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Folks, maybe Caprican live 20 or so years longer than ordinary humans. Some people age better than others. Bill Adama just has good genes is all.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old May 5 2009, 04:05 PM   #251
Harvey
Admiral

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Why do you think their healthcare was not futuristic? It might have been basic compared to the presumably advanced and amazing hospitals of the colonies, but even basic healthcare in the hnow is better than any healthcare in the 18th century.
As far as Cottle's facilities go, there was nothing in them that would have struck me as extraordinary in the present day. As far as I can recall, anyway. Thus, the RTF didn't strike me as possessing futuristic health care.

You're right in stating that it makes sense that they would have medical advances over us, but outside of Hera's miracle cure and Helo's anti-radiation meds, we didn't see them.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old May 6 2009, 03:09 AM   #252
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for keeping the thread going till I got to the party!

I'll give it an Above Average. Not a thrill a minute like BSG, but certainly a very nice evocation of an alternative society - what Kings was trying to do, I guess, but didn't take it nearly far enough. The characters interest me enough to keep me watching and I appreciate this show being actually about sci fi issues, rather than using aliens and spaceships etc as a backdrop for telling an essentially non-sci-fi story, which is a true rarity on TV. Original Zoe seemed like a stupid little brat, but she's dead and her VR sister is much more sympathetic. Eric Stoltz is a great actor, and when Esai Morales gets some more intensive scenes, I'm sure he'll come through as well.

Quibbles:

-How are they going to keep Joe Adama central to this storyline? It's really about Graystone and his obsession. Joe can participate by things like arranging murders, I guess, but it's not really what the show is about, and he's supposed to be the central character.

-It's implausible that Tamara and Joe's wife could ever be adequately resurrected using data that people leave behind in life - that doesn't tell you enough specifics about their personality that you could create believable reactions that would pass muster with family members. Zoe downloaded her actual memories into her avatar; that's what's required for a believable doppleganger. Even sci fi has to have some level of plausibility.

But I suppose VR Tamara might not have been a good copy - just an approximation that Greystone programmed to be hysterical (not to mention terrible at acting, yikes!) and upset her father enough that he would leave the VR room before realizing the whole thing's a fraud. Good way to manipulate the guy.

-Why do you need a self-aware robot in order to shoot a target effectively? That seems like a skill where self-awareness and intelligence is irrelevant - it's all about spatial awareness, reaction time and predicting the target's path. I can see the use of self-aware robots in more sophisticated war scenarios, requiring adaptation, strategy and judgement, but that wasn't the test they were giving the Cylon. Plus, if that's the kind of solider you want, why not use the "soldierboy" idea from Forever Peace and have the Cylons remotely controlled by human minds? Caprican society seems fully capable of that level of technology.

-There was no way that final scene was ever going to be anything but unintentional comedy. Here's hoping Zoe gets a "better" body soon or I'm going to have a hard time suppressing the giggles. And speaking of that...

-How long could it possibly be before the skinjobs naturally will emerge? They've already done the hard part, making a self-aware robot mind. Reasonably believable humanoid bodies should be far easier, especially if there's no need to make them indistinguishable (genetically) from real humans. Even a mannequin-looking Zoe would be far less upsetting than a frakkin' Cylon.

If Greystone really wants Zoe back, he should take a few strands of hair from her hairbrush (or cells from her corpse, if there was anything of her left, she was awful close to that bomb) and clone a new body for her. It would be a baby, but it'll grow. Maybe they can speed up the growth process or just be patient. Which raises the interesting issue of the "rights" of the clone not to have her memories overwritten (or forestalled) by VR Zoe. But Caprican society certainly must be capable of cloning. Maybe they'll establish that it's been outlawed or something (which wouldn't stop Greystone).

Hopes for the future:

-Not sure how Tigh, Anders et al figure into this genesis story for the Cylons, but I'm certainly holding out hope for some guest shots...

The thing I found odd was that the big talking point for the producers has been how this was supposed to be accessible in ways that Galactica wasn't. If anything, this is weirder. Which is fine by me, but I wonder who else is going to watch it?

It's also evident from some comments in this thread and others I've read around the web that the space setting that the producers thought was so prohibitive to BSG was probably all that was holding some some of the dwindling audience's interest.
Yeah, I think the allure of space battles held the attention of some of the BSG audience who aren't going to have the patience for extended investigation into the technology and morality of virtual reality and robotics. I'm in for the duration, but I wonder how long that duration will really be?
Old May 6 2009, 03:16 AM   #253
David cgc
Vice Admiral

The Final Five arrived at the Colonies just before the end of the first Cylon War, so assuming one in-story year to a season, we should see the Tighs, Anders, Tyrol, and Tory make their guest appearances somewhere around season eighteen. Take that, Doctor Who!
Old May 6 2009, 03:18 AM   #254
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
The Final Five arrived at the Colonies just before the end of the first Cylon War, so assuming one in-story year to a season, we should see the Tighs, Anders, Tyrol, and Tory make their guest appearances somewhere around season eighteen. Take that, Doctor Who!
Damn, no chance of time travel?
Old May 6 2009, 03:52 AM   #255
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The show could always jump ahead a few years.