RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,352
Posts: 5,354,787
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 666
Newest member: Cultiste

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old April 23 2009, 06:58 AM   #166
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral
 
WeAreTheBorg's Avatar
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Just got around to watching this... my hopes were mild to say the least, but boy, it was actually really great. The texture of the 12 colonies is just so great... and it all felt very BSG despite being so different in concept and in setting. When Joe Adama was talking to William and Bear's score that he always used for Adama/Lee scenes popped up I almost teared up a little, because at that moment I realized that BSG is... in a sense... living on. Which is a funny little idea considering the theme of this pilot.

I guess we're also seeing how the one true god concept got started by centurions. Zoey is a Cylon!

One nitpick: The suggestion that the human brain only holds 300 megabytes of information... isn't that kind of absurd? The human brain holds a vastly superior pool of information than any computer ever could, our only limitations are access... and even that is vast. Also the kind of "information" in the human brain cannot be so easily translated into a computer term like bytes... it's apples and oranges.

Oh and finally: Turns out Bill Adama was 47 years old as of the miniseries, and therefore just 51 in Daybreak. I thought he was older than that... I would have guessed around 58-60 (i.e. 54-58 in the mini)
__________________
"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - GK Chesterton
WeAreTheBorg is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 07:29 AM   #167
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
Oh and finally: Turns out Bill Adama was 47 years old as of the miniseries, and therefore just 51 in Daybreak. I thought he was older than that... I would have guessed around 58-60 (i.e. 54-58 in the mini)
Eh? Bill is 11 in Caprica, and it's set 58 years before the Fall. So at the time of the Cylon attack against the colonies, he was 58+11=69 years old.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 07:30 AM   #168
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral
 
WeAreTheBorg's Avatar
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
Oh and finally: Turns out Bill Adama was 47 years old as of the miniseries, and therefore just 51 in Daybreak. I thought he was older than that... I would have guessed around 58-60 (i.e. 54-58 in the mini)
Eh? Bill is 11 in Caprica, and it's set 58 years before the Fall. So at the time of the Cylon attack against the colonies, he was 58+11=69 years old.
....

Wow, how did I make that mistake? I subtracted instead of adding. Smrt.
__________________
"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - GK Chesterton
WeAreTheBorg is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 07:38 AM   #169
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain
 
hyzmarca's Avatar
 
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
Just got around to watching this... my hopes were mild to say the least, but boy, it was actually really great. The texture of the 12 colonies is just so great... and it all felt very BSG despite being so different in concept and in setting. When Joe Adama was talking to William and Bear's score that he always used for Adama/Lee scenes popped up I almost teared up a little, because at that moment I realized that BSG is... in a sense... living on. Which is a funny little idea considering the theme of this pilot.

I guess we're also seeing how the one true god concept got started by centurions. Zoey is a Cylon!

One nitpick: The suggestion that the human brain only holds 300 megabytes of information... isn't that kind of absurd? The human brain holds a vastly superior pool of information than any computer ever could, our only limitations are access... and even that is vast. Also the kind of "information" in the human brain cannot be so easily translated into a computer term like bytes... it's apples and oranges.

Oh and finally: Turns out Bill Adama was 47 years old as of the miniseries, and therefore just 51 in Daybreak. I thought he was older than that... I would have guessed around 58-60 (i.e. 54-58 in the mini)
Since the brain is analog, measurement in terms of bytes is meaningless, but storage is finite, particularly in memory. It's also very unreliable, as we augment our finite memory capacity with our imaginations. Most of us quickly forget unimportant details, only remembering the broad strokes of important events.
hyzmarca is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 07:42 AM   #170
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral
 
WeAreTheBorg's Avatar
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

hyzmarca wrote: View Post

Since the brain is analog, measurement in terms of bytes is meaningless, but storage is finite, particularly in memory. It's also very unreliable, as we augment our finite memory capacity with our imaginations. Most of us quickly forget unimportant details, only remembering the broad strokes of important events.
Okay, but it's fairly well known that any memory of your life can be recovered with perfect detail under the right psychological conditions. There are people who have suffered strokes or traumas or that were born with brain defects that have infinite memory of their entire life and every fact they encounter. I surmise from this that the difference is we cannot access everything, but it is still there.

But I'm not a neurologist, so maybe I'm way off.
__________________
"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - GK Chesterton
WeAreTheBorg is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 08:10 AM   #171
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Antediluvian wrote: View Post


Gods, you christfags are so easy to troll
Here's an equally easy warning for trolling.
__________________
"Love means never having to say you're ugly."
- Dr. Phibes
Spaceman Spiff is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 08:15 AM   #172
Bishbot
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Peacemaker wrote: View Post

Thanks for the admission that you're the troll. Note that for the public record, you accused somebody else of being a troll because, in your opinion, he's a fundamentalist Christian, yet here you admit to being a troll. Kudos, and you're only at the rank of Ensign. Your time on this board doesn't bode well for you.

You're confusing biblical Christianity with moralism and legalism. Biblical Christianity doesn't preclude "watching stuff that utterly spits on the Bible in some places." Of course, if you actually understood the views that you're trolling you'd know that, but you don't, a shining example of self-reinforcing ignorance.
I understand that not everything you watch has to gel with your beliefs - that makes sense and is sensible - no-one agrees 100% with everything they watch or read. You have to admit it is a bit strange, however, that Michael Chris watched the whole of BSG, which had some scenes very comparable to what we got in Caprica, but has now decided to throw in the towel?
Bishbot is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 08:59 AM   #173
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral
 
Jim Steele's Avatar
 
Location: Croydon
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

I loved it and I really wasn't expecting to. Don't know where they're going to go with a series but I'm looking forward to finding out.


Off topic, fuck me I'm glad to be an atheist.

Oh wait... that means I can't enjoy Caprica now.
__________________
Ghost of TrekBBS past.
Jim Steele is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 10:00 AM   #174
cultcross
Say my name...
 
cultcross's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Bishbot wrote: View Post
Peacemaker wrote: View Post

Thanks for the admission that you're the troll. Note that for the public record, you accused somebody else of being a troll because, in your opinion, he's a fundamentalist Christian, yet here you admit to being a troll. Kudos, and you're only at the rank of Ensign. Your time on this board doesn't bode well for you.

You're confusing biblical Christianity with moralism and legalism. Biblical Christianity doesn't preclude "watching stuff that utterly spits on the Bible in some places." Of course, if you actually understood the views that you're trolling you'd know that, but you don't, a shining example of self-reinforcing ignorance.
I understand that not everything you watch has to gel with your beliefs - that makes sense and is sensible - no-one agrees 100% with everything they watch or read. You have to admit it is a bit strange, however, that Michael Chris watched the whole of BSG, which had some scenes very comparable to what we got in Caprica, but has now decided to throw in the towel?
I think it was more the fact that Caprica actually opened with a scene of gratuitous (for TV) sex and violence. I have to admit, it had me thinking "" and I'm no prude. I could understand why it would put people off, especially as the opening v-club sequence goes on for some time. The trick, of course, is to stick with it and understand that the reaction you had is exactly the one they were trying for.
__________________
This post terminates here. Please do not attempt to board.
cultcross is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 01:41 PM   #175
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral
 
Mutenroshi's Avatar
 
Location: Mutenroshi
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Funny how some viewers went with those two tiny scenes when I went :niiiiice: instead.
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 01:51 PM   #176
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

ncc74302 wrote: View Post
Aha. I start listening to the commentary track and not 2 minutes in, and they make the declaration that the location of the V-club is in fact the same theater where they filmed the opera house scenes in BSG.


Do they share some info on the Greystone Residence as well? I could swear it's Baltar's house again, although the interior looks bigger.
Ayelbourne is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 02:12 PM   #177
Gregsmack
Captain
 
Gregsmack's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

^ I don't think it's Baltar's house but I'm not completely sure. From what I saw, it looked similar, and is probably a house in some neighborhood where all the rich, genius scientists go to live.

A fan more observant to this kind of thing will probably be able to tell you for sure, though.
__________________
"Lay off the Greeks. They invented civilization."
Gregsmack is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 02:18 PM   #178
backstept
Rear Admiral
 
backstept's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse
View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
ncc74302 wrote: View Post
Aha. I start listening to the commentary track and not 2 minutes in, and they make the declaration that the location of the V-club is in fact the same theater where they filmed the opera house scenes in BSG.


Do they share some info on the Greystone Residence as well? I could swear it's Baltar's house again, although the interior looks bigger.
it may be the same place, shot from different angles, or it could be a house nearby, or even all on a soundstage with the exterior shots comped in with plates shot somewhere at Lion's Bay
__________________
| Hi I'm Gauis Blatar lol
| backstept.blogspot.com | about.me
backstept is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 03:43 PM   #179
cultcross
Say my name...
 
cultcross's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Given that both houses are in Caprica City, odds are its the same lake. I don't know why everyone's surprised by it, actually. The interior of the house looks completely different, the similarity is it has a balcony, big windows, and the lake outside. There could easily be a 30 mile road of such buildings in Caprica City along the shore.

Daniel is after all in very similar position to Baltar at the start of BSG. He's a well respected and well off scientist with ties to the defence department.
__________________
This post terminates here. Please do not attempt to board.
cultcross is offline  
Old April 23 2009, 04:37 PM   #180
backstept
Rear Admiral
 
backstept's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse
View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept
Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

cultcross wrote: View Post
Given that both houses are in Caprica City, odds are its the same lake. I don't know why everyone's surprised by it, actually. The interior of the house looks completely different, the similarity is it has a balcony, big windows, and the lake outside. There could easily be a 30 mile road of such buildings in Caprica City along the shore.

Daniel is after all in very similar position to Baltar at the start of BSG. He's a well respected and well off scientist with ties to the defence department.
though Baltar seemed to be a consultant and celebrity genious like Einstein, and Greystone is a famous inventor sort of like Steve Jobs
__________________
| Hi I'm Gauis Blatar lol
| backstept.blogspot.com | about.me
backstept is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
caprica, grading & discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.