Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 22 2009, 09:57 PM   #151
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I think what happened is initially Zoe-A failed to fully integrate with the proto-Cylon and her program was dormant, like a subconcious. During the demonstration, I think that was the proto-Cylon utilizing the new chip, but I don't think Zoe-A was in control. Later, in the lab, Zoe-A was able to more fully "wake up" and take control; the shots of the proto-Cylon looking at its hands made me think it was the first time Zoe-A was fully "awake".

I agree, though, if Graystone isn't aware Zoe-A is in there and just starts copying the chip, he might be inadvertently copying her subconcious from Cylon to Cylon.
Horrific thought. A tragedy beyond measure when you consider that Zoe created Zoe-A because she envisioned her bringing people closer to God. She's going to change all that. Little did she know the legacy of destruction she'd leave behind. I doubt Zoe envisioned a scenario like the centurions cutting into the unanasthesized people from the captured Diana--or of Helena Cain's little sister being abducted on the last day of the cylon war. God knows what happened to her. Obviously the final five didn't save her. Maybe her genetic code went into the pot to help create the seven models. Zoe-A, or some corrupted form of her duplicated consciousness, made it all possible. The road to hell being paved with good intentions doesn't begin to cover it.
Of course, if she's sufficiently zealous, she could just chock the whole thing up to the will of God, since it apparently is.
Old April 22 2009, 11:36 PM   #152
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
Yeah, I thought of that, as well. A nice side effect of using this pre-fab premise.

Does anyone have a quick link to the premise of this show before it was wrapped in BSG window-dressing and co-opted? I just wonder how much it has been altered.
Que? Now where's this coming from? I hadn't heard anything about the Caprica premise having been taken from some other property.
Old April 23 2009, 01:03 AM   #153
V
Commodore

I'm pretty curious to see what direction this thing will take. How long is it until the first Cylon war starts? Since the show proper starts a good year plus after this DVD pilot, will the show jump a bit in time as well? I didn't expect to see any of the first cylon war in the show after hearing about it, but after viewing it, if the show isn't canceled I could see it showing it, or leading into another miniseries/spinoff about it.

That's the funny part...the thing I've been trying to tell everyone since first we heard actual news about "Caprica" and I knew it would be a failure:

it's not actually ABOUT "the First Cylon War". You hear "BSG prequel" and you think "Cylon War".......it might END with the start of the Cylon War, but William Adama is 9 years old, he's not really a character.........there's NOTHING

***I think it kind of works as a miniseries, but as a series...run by Jane Espenson?

God help us all.
Old April 23 2009, 01:47 AM   #154
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
Yeah, I thought of that, as well. A nice side effect of using this pre-fab premise.

Does anyone have a quick link to the premise of this show before it was wrapped in BSG window-dressing and co-opted? I just wonder how much it has been altered.
Que? Now where's this coming from? I hadn't heard anything about the Caprica premise having been taken from some other property.
From what I understand, someone pitched an idea for a show about the development of artificial intelligence, then Sci Fi (or whoever) suggested that it be set in the BSG universe. It then became the story of the development of cylons, set 50 years before the events in Battlestar Galactica.
Old April 23 2009, 01:53 AM   #155
Harvey
Admiral

^^
That's exactly what happened. Remi Aubuchon pitched the idea to what was then the Sci-Fi Channel (now SyFy...I know, big whoop), and the executives there liked it, but felt it would make a good prequel to Galactica. Ronald D. Moore agreed, and revised the script to accomplish that goal.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old April 23 2009, 02:29 AM   #156
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

WOW!

I just watched my Netflix copy and I can't believe how good this was. I was seriously surprised. Even without the Battlestar connection it was just riveting!!

While it's at times reminiscent of the Matrixes and Terminators, it's way more in depth.

BTW, anyone notice that when Joseph tells Little William their family name and hugs him the music is a version of the ole Apollo-Adama 'celtic' theme from BSG?
Old April 23 2009, 02:58 AM   #157
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Antediluvian wrote: View Post
cultcross wrote: View Post
Michael Chris wrote: View Post
I am 21, not tempted to have sex so much as lust or become aroused.
Which given that it is a subconscious response beyond your control, is a problem why exactly?

Anyway, just watch it thinking "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day" over and over. You'll be fine.
He's probably a fundamentalist Christian.

Which means he has to be a troll, because any fundamentalist christian i've seen would never watch bsg. The very IDEA behind the show, especially the ENDING (the colonials/cylons being the missing link in our evolution) would make them rage beyond scope.

Gotz to be a troll.
Thanks for demonstrating your obvious lack of life experience. There are, in point of fact, several conservative, evangelical Christians who watched BSG. I'm one of them. There are some others here too. Indeed, Steve Hays and Patrick Chan at www.triablogue.blogspot.com did as well. When you gain some more life experience, get back to us. Thanks.
Old April 23 2009, 03:26 AM   #158
ncc74302
Captain

Send a message via AIM to ncc74302 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ncc74302 Send a message via Yahoo to ncc74302

Aha. I start listening to the commentary track and not 2 minutes in, and they make the declaration that the location of the V-club is in fact the same theater where they filmed the opera house scenes in BSG.
Old April 23 2009, 03:30 AM   #159
Antediluvian
Ensign

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
cultcross wrote: View Post
Which given that it is a subconscious response beyond your control, is a problem why exactly?

Anyway, just watch it thinking "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day" over and over. You'll be fine.

Which means he has to be a troll, because any fundamentalist christian i've seen would never watch bsg. The very IDEA behind the show, especially the ENDING (the colonials/cylons being the missing link in our evolution) would make them rage beyond scope.

Gotz to be a troll.
Thanks for demonstrating your obvious lack of life experience. There are, in point of fact, several conservative, evangelical Christians who watched BSG. I'm one of them. There are some others here too. Indeed, Steve Hays and Patrick Chan at www.triablogue.blogspot.com did as well. When you gain some more life experience, get back to us. Thanks.
Well then you aren't being very good Christians are you? Watching such utter filth and blasphemy that clearly spits on the bible in various places?

You don't even have the strength of your own convictions, you're just a coward.

Or wanting to bust out of your repressed ways.

Gods, you christfags are so easy to troll
Old April 23 2009, 04:17 AM   #160
cbspock
Rear Admiral

ncc74302 wrote: View Post
Aha. I start listening to the commentary track and not 2 minutes in, and they make the declaration that the location of the V-club is in fact the same theater where they filmed the opera house scenes in BSG.

I downloaded the movie in itunes, the DVD has commentary?

-Chris
Old April 23 2009, 04:24 AM   #161
JCBos
Commander

Yes, the DVD has commentary from Ron Moore, David Eick and director Jeffrey Reiner, as well as deleted scenes.
Old April 23 2009, 04:30 AM   #162
Michael Chris
Admiral

Well then you aren't being very good Christians are you?
sigh
Old April 23 2009, 04:50 AM   #163
ATimson
Rear Admiral

JCBos wrote: View Post
Yes, the DVD has commentary from Ron Moore, David Eick and director Jeffrey Reiner, as well as deleted scenes.
So is Moore still executive producer and developer of the new Battlestar Galactica?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old April 23 2009, 05:19 AM   #164
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Peacemaker wrote: View Post

Gotz to be a troll.
Well then you aren't being very good Christians are you? Watching such utter filth and blasphemy that clearly spits on the bible in various places?

You don't even have the strength of your own convictions, you're just a coward.

Or wanting to bust out of your repressed ways.

Gods, you christfags are so easy to troll
Thanks for the admission that you're the troll. Note that for the public record, you accused somebody else of being a troll because, in your opinion, he's a fundamentalist Christian, yet here you admit to being a troll. Kudos, and you're only at the rank of Ensign. Your time on this board doesn't bode well for you.

You're confusing biblical Christianity with moralism and legalism. Biblical Christianity doesn't preclude "watching stuff that utterly spits on the Bible in some places." Of course, if you actually understood the views that you're trolling you'd know that, but you don't, a shining example of self-reinforcing ignorance.
Old April 23 2009, 05:32 AM   #165
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
^^
That's exactly what happened. Remi Aubuchon pitched the idea to what was then the Sci-Fi Channel (now SyFy...I know, big whoop), and the executives there liked it, but felt it would make a good prequel to Galactica. Ronald D. Moore agreed, and revised the script to accomplish that goal.
I kind of feel sorry for the dude. In one of the video blogs on the DVD, he says something to the effect of:

"What I... What Ron and I really wanted to make sure we did..."

It's pretty clear that this was his baby and that now he has to act like it was he and Ron's idea. Then again, if it wasn't attached to BSG, it's possible that it would never have been made at all.