Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 22 2009, 03:16 PM   #136
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

One thing I would like to see in Caprica is how do the colonies interact with one another. The impression each colony is an independent nation, and the President and Quorum of the 12 are more like the United Nations or the European Union.

-Chris
Old April 22 2009, 03:35 PM   #137
anti-matter
Rear Admiral

BHUT BHUT BHUT WHADTTTTTT?

I thought Caprica was supposed to be a new Sci-Fi TV show? Kind of ruins the fun out of watching the show all at the same time and commenting on it.

...just say'en since the end of nBSG I've not been myself and have been avoiding this place. Not that I'm fracked up or anything serious...but since the end of that show I've changed. If I had to put my finger on it I'd have to say I'm way less happy than I use to be otherwise things are fine.
Old April 22 2009, 04:43 PM   #138
cultcross
Say my name...

Kokomo wrote: View Post
Were there any Colonial Vipers seen in the DVD? Any Mark I's?
No, There's only one shot which includes some people in military dress and they're seemingly deliberately out of focus. There are no space scenes at all.

Michael Chris wrote: View Post
In a way. I have no desire to do violence, but I certainly have a desire to have sex. Therefore it represents temptation, the vast majority of BSG did not. I imagine most aren't interested in committing wanton acts of violence, but would be tempted by sex. That is why I have a problem with it. I expected to enjoy the show, but now I really can't watch unless they edit it for TV and even then I will know what they did show. It's highly depressing.
How old are you? You can't watch TV without being tempted, 'monkey see monkey do' style by a couple of pairs of breasts? The club was like it was to show the levels of depravity the virtual world had got to, helping to explain why the 'one true god' crowd didn't like it.
But the scenes on the club floor make up at most 6 minutes of the show. I wouldn't worry, you can close your eyes.
Old April 22 2009, 04:46 PM   #139
Michael Chris
Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
How old are you? You can't watch TV without being tempted, 'monkey see monkey do' style by a couple of pairs of breasts?
I am 21, not tempted to have sex so much as lust or become aroused.
Old April 22 2009, 05:22 PM   #140
cultcross
Say my name...

How old are you? You can't watch TV without being tempted, 'monkey see monkey do' style by a couple of pairs of breasts?
Which given that it is a subconscious response beyond your control, is a problem why exactly?

Anyway, just watch it thinking "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day" over and over. You'll be fine.
Old April 22 2009, 05:38 PM   #141
Antediluvian
Ensign

Which given that it is a subconscious response beyond your control, is a problem why exactly?

Anyway, just watch it thinking "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day" over and over. You'll be fine.
He's probably a fundamentalist Christian.

Which means he has to be a troll, because any fundamentalist christian i've seen would never watch bsg. The very IDEA behind the show, especially the ENDING (the colonials/cylons being the missing link in our evolution) would make them rage beyond scope.

Gotz to be a troll.
Old April 22 2009, 05:44 PM   #142
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I want to see how Zoe-A's consciousness contributes to the development of monotheism in all the centurions. Are they all a copy of her? Is Daniel copying his daughter's memory patterns into each centurion without knowing it? I'm assuming that was Zoe-A doing the shooting in the last demonstration and afterwards she was inactive, lying on the table. It feels so strange to refer to a centurion as a "she."

Does Zoe's consciousness degrade with each copy? Does she go mad and become psychotic? Does the warring between the colonies enrage her to the point where she actively foments rebellion and it gets out of hand? The real Zoe obviously wasn't a suicide bomber. That's not what she wanted. She was just incredibly naive. Does her copy get to the point that she doesn't care because her contempt for humanity has grown to a violent degree? She just wants to be human again so badly that she just doesn't care--and she trasmits the rage to the other centurions? Anger at their oppression? All these questions I want to see answered.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 22 2009, 05:46 PM   #143
Antediluvian
Ensign

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I want to see how Zoe-A's consciousness contributes to the development of monotheism in all the centurions. Are they all a copy of her? Is Daniel copying his daughter's memory patterns into each centurion without knowing it? I'm assuming that was Zoe-A doing the shooting in the last demonstration and afterwards she was inactive, lying on the table. It feels so strange to refer to a centurion as a "she."

Does Zoe's consciousness degrade with each copy? Does she go mad and become psychotic? Does the warring between the colonies enrage her to the point where she actively foments rebellion and it gets out of hand? The real Zoe obviously wasn't a suicide bomber. That's not what she wanted. She was just incredibly naive. Does her copy get to the point that she doesn't care because her contempt for humanity has grown to a violent degree? She just wants to be human again so badly that she just doesn't care--and she trasmits the rage to the other centurions? Anger at their oppression? All these questions I want to see answered.
Pretty sure thats how its going to get.

I think eventually her sentience will remain, but her identity will somehow be lost, whether on purpose or not.
Old April 22 2009, 06:02 PM   #144
ncc74302
Captain

Send a message via AIM to ncc74302 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ncc74302 Send a message via Yahoo to ncc74302

Antediluvian wrote: View Post

He's probably a fundamentalist Christian.

Which means he has to be a troll, because any fundamentalist christian i've seen would never watch bsg. The very IDEA behind the show, especially the ENDING (the colonials/cylons being the missing link in our evolution) would make them rage beyond scope.

Gotz to be a troll.
Never mind, this isnt even worth the effort of responding to.

Last edited by ncc74302; April 22 2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Decided I didn't particularly care to get banned today.
Old April 22 2009, 07:18 PM   #145
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The scenes in the v-club weren't supposed to be stimulating and you would have a hard time finding it stimulating unless you were a 15 year-old boy who hasn't seen tits before. The very point of those shots was that you were supposed to be disgusted by the society created by these immature teens. You were supposed to have the reaction that you had, and as somebody who does not consider sexual thoughts to be corruptible I had a similar reaction to the one you had.

The scene wasn't glorifying sex, it was condemning the immaturity of these people. I hope this helps you watch the rest of the pilot because it is pretty good.
Old April 22 2009, 07:29 PM   #146
JCBos
Commander

I want to see how Zoe-A's consciousness contributes to the development of monotheism in all the centurions. Are they all a copy of her? Is Daniel copying his daughter's memory patterns into each centurion without knowing it? I'm assuming that was Zoe-A doing the shooting in the last demonstration and afterwards she was inactive, lying on the table.
I think what happened is initially Zoe-A failed to fully integrate with the proto-Cylon and her program was dormant, like a subconcious. During the demonstration, I think that was the proto-Cylon utilizing the new chip, but I don't think Zoe-A was in control. Later, in the lab, Zoe-A was able to more fully "wake up" and take control; the shots of the proto-Cylon looking at its hands made me think it was the first time Zoe-A was fully "awake".

I agree, though, if Graystone isn't aware Zoe-A is in there and just starts copying the chip, he might be inadvertently copying her subconcious from Cylon to Cylon.

I also noticed that when Graystone was copying Zoe-A to the proto-Cylon, the "data stream" and code that was flashing was very similar to the glyphs we saw on Cylon baseships in BSG.
Old April 22 2009, 07:45 PM   #147
cbspock
Rear Admiral

JCBos wrote: View Post
I want to see how Zoe-A's consciousness contributes to the development of monotheism in all the centurions. Are they all a copy of her? Is Daniel copying his daughter's memory patterns into each centurion without knowing it? I'm assuming that was Zoe-A doing the shooting in the last demonstration and afterwards she was inactive, lying on the table.
I think what happened is initially Zoe-A failed to fully integrate with the proto-Cylon and her program was dormant, like a subconcious. During the demonstration, I think that was the proto-Cylon utilizing the new chip, but I don't think Zoe-A was in control. Later, in the lab, Zoe-A was able to more fully "wake up" and take control; the shots of the proto-Cylon looking at its hands made me think it was the first time Zoe-A was fully "awake".

I agree, though, if Graystone isn't aware Zoe-A is in there and just starts copying the chip, he might be inadvertently copying her subconcious from Cylon to Cylon.

I also noticed that when Graystone was copying Zoe-A to the proto-Cylon, the "data stream" and code that was flashing was very similar to the glyphs we saw on Cylon baseships in BSG.

I thought something was up with the Cylon when it went over to the disabled target and put an extra shot into it to make sure it was dead.

-Chris
Old April 22 2009, 07:47 PM   #148
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Horrific thought. A tragedy beyond measure when you consider that Zoe created Zoe-A because she envisioned her bringing people closer to God. She's going to change all that. Little did she know the legacy of destruction she'd leave behind. I doubt Zoe envisioned a scenario like the centurions cutting into the unanasthesized people from the captured Diana--or of Helena Cain's little sister being abducted on the last day of the cylon war. God knows what happened to her. Obviously the final five didn't save her. Maybe her genetic code went into the pot to help create the seven models. Zoe-A, or some corrupted form of her duplicated consciousness, made it all possible. The road to hell being paved with good intentions doesn't begin to cover it.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 22 2009, 07:51 PM   #149
cbspock
Rear Admiral

If she wants to be human again, does this lead to the cylon's quest to create the skinjobs but they only get as far as the hybrids.

-Chris
Old April 22 2009, 09:44 PM   #150
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
If she wants to be human again, does this lead to the cylon's quest to create the skinjobs but they only get as far as the hybrids.
Yeah, I thought of that, as well. A nice side effect of using this pre-fab premise.

Does anyone have a quick link to the premise of this show before it was wrapped in BSG window-dressing and co-opted? I just wonder how much it has been altered.