Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 13 2009, 03:49 PM   #31
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: episodes that are part of two different TV series

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
I'd name the Homicide: Life on the Street / Law & Order crossovers if I was more literate in both shows. There's a few. I think they made it onto the complete series box for Homicide, but aren't on the regular season releases.
There are three crossover episodes (and a cameo earlier, although I forget in which show). I'm not sure the DVD situation. For some reason, I had thought they only appeared on the Law and Order DVDs, but I could be wrong.
Old April 13 2009, 04:33 PM   #32
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

^ The Homicide/L&O crossover eps were included in the complete Homicide box set.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 04:43 PM   #33
wamdue
Admiral

this sounds like a crossover thread.

ill give some UK examples

TheBill & MIT epsidoe 1, on the Bill one of the cast was killed, and in the first episode of MIT, the MIT cast investigated who killed him.

Holby City & Holby Blue, in an episode of Holby City a doctor was attacked and it looked like she killed her attacker, in the first episode of Holby Blue S2, the Holby Blue cast investigated the crime.

there is a Sarah Jane Adventures episode " The Last Sontaran" that follows on from the evens of the Doctor Who episode The Sontaran Stratagem/Poison Sky.

Same goes for Torchwood episode Cyberwoman, that follows up the events of Doomsday.

I used to have a list of UK crossovers & spin-offs but I lost it

The Voyager episode "False Profits" is a sequel to the TNG episode, The Price

Last edited by wamdue; April 13 2009 at 05:01 PM.
wamdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 07:29 PM   #34
Mistral
Vice Admiral

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Extrocomp wrote: View Post
I just want to clear something up. I'm asking for examples of episodes that were released in two different Complete Season DVD collections. I know it's not really the same thing as being part of two different series, so perhaps I should've given this thread a better title.

By the way, I really hate the website poobala.com/crossoverlist.html. The guy considers the slightest cameo or name-drop to be a crossover and makes the ridiculous assertion that if two shows have one crossover they must exist in the same universe. IMO, there should be at least two crossovers.
Yes, of course, it all makes sense. TWO crossovers, that's the ticket.

Catholics and Protestants kill each other over less....
"...side hurts...please stop...can't catch breath...LMAO!"

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 08:15 PM   #35
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Crossing Jordan/Las Vegas had multiple crossovers.
Old April 13 2009, 08:26 PM   #36
selina
Fleet Captain

Galactic Squirral wrote: View Post
angel and buffy? think they crossed over or something

pretty sure i saw angel in a few buffy episodes after the angel series started
Yes, they did some cross-overs:

Buffy - season 4, episode 3 - "The Harsh Light of Day" and
Angel - season Season 1, episode 3 - "In The Dark".

Also:
Buffy - season 5, episode 7 - "Fool For Love" and
Angel - season 2, episode 7 - "Darla"

The story continued in both series.
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 08:49 PM   #37
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Shirley, Joni Love Cachi and Happy Days all took place in the same universe (the previous three all spining off from Happy Days, though Mork only appeared in Happy Days as a dream and obviously took place many years after Happy Days.)
Negative, Mork was NOT a dream on Happy Days.

Richie thought he was dreaming, after he woke up from his nap he heard a radio report talking about a flying saucer really being a weather balloon. Right after this Robin Williams shows up knocking at the door asking for directions to a highway, Richie wigs out and Robin Williams leaves.

Outside on the porch, it's revealed that Robin Williams really WAS Mork, since he starts talking to Orson and telling him about the 1950s. Orson then tells Mork that he'll be visiting 1978 next.
Old April 13 2009, 08:53 PM   #38
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Shirley, Joni Love Cachi and Happy Days all took place in the same universe (the previous three all spining off from Happy Days, though Mork only appeared in Happy Days as a dream and obviously took place many years after Happy Days.)
Negative, Mork was NOT a dream on Happy Days.

Richie thought he was dreaming, after he woke up from his nap he heard a radio report talking about a flying saucer really being a weather balloon. Right after this Robin Williams shows up knocking at the door asking for directions to a highway, Richie wigs out and Robin Williams leaves.

Outside on the porch, it's revealed that Robin Williams really WAS Mork, since he starts talking to Orson and telling him about the 1950s. Orson then tells Mork that he'll be visiting 1978 next.
Hmmm. Been ages since I've seen that episode. I must've forgotten/mis-remembered the last bit. I just remember Mork "freezing" everyone/not being able to overcome Fonzie's "cool" and then Richie (or was it Fonzie) being lead away by Mork.
Old April 13 2009, 09:35 PM   #39
ClayinCA
Commodore

And Mork revisited both Fonzie and Laverne DeFazio in a flashback scene in the first episode of Mork & Mindy, and went back to Happy Days again a year or so after his first appearance (I think the episode was called "Mork Returns" or something like that, but I don't remember for certain).
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2009, 01:50 PM   #40
Extrocomp
Captain

It looks like my thread has been completely hijacked.
Oh well, I have only myself to blame. I shouldn't have said anything about the poobala site or about my unorthodox 2-crossovers-required rule.

In defence of my opnion, ff a crossover happens only once, then it's only a gimmick or a joke, especially if it only happened in one scene. I'm thinking of Ray Barone appearing in The Nanny, Kramer appearing in Mad About You and one of the Ghostbusters appearing on Casper. The average viewer is likely to forget that such a crossover happened, and the two TV shows will go their separate ways, free to contradict each other or even refer to each other as fictional TV shows.

If there are two crossovers which happen more than a year apart, then the producers take seriously the idea that two shows exist in the same universe and the average viewer is more likely to notice.

To put it another way, the first crossover introduces the idea that two series might exist in the same universe and the second crossover confirms that idea.

As for my real topic being too limited, not all topics are designed to inspire heated debates. Some are just simple questions that require simply answers.

I started a crossover discussion a while ago here:
http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=82054
Old April 16 2009, 01:56 PM   #41
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Las Vegas and Crossing Jordan.

They had multiple cross over episodes.

Can't really understand why though, as when I tried to watch Crossing Jordan it seemed to have a very fidderent tone to Las Vegas.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2009, 02:23 PM   #42
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Pindar wrote: View Post
Las Vegas and Crossing Jordan.

They had multiple cross over episodes.

Can't really understand why though, as when I tried to watch Crossing Jordan it seemed to have a very fidderent tone to Las Vegas.
Nah, nah. I beat you to that one. They were both marginal shows at the time and NBC decided to build in excitement by crossing them over. For Vegas the move was to move more towards the serious of its first season. For Jordan a more comedic slant. It also gave the Jordan leads a different romantic target so they had another excuse to sloew the Woody/Jordan ship.
Old April 16 2009, 03:47 PM   #43
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
It also gave the Jordan leads a different romantic target so they had another excuse to sloew the Woody/Jordan ship.
When did Woody join Crossing Jordan?
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2009, 03:52 PM   #44
Odo's_Bucket
Commander

Extrocomp wrote: View Post
I just want to clear something up. I'm asking for examples of episodes that were released in two different Complete Season DVD collections. I know it's not really the same thing as being part of two different series, so perhaps I should've given this thread a better title.

By the way, I really hate the website poobala.com/crossoverlist.html. The guy considers the slightest cameo or name-drop to be a crossover and makes the ridiculous assertion that if two shows have one crossover they must exist in the same universe. IMO, there should be at least two crossovers.
Such a theory makes little sense.

Back in the day almost all NBC sitcoms took place in the same universe, really the same New York City. Mad About You, Caroline in the City, Friends and The Single Guy and Seinfeld all took place in the same universe.

It was revealed in a MaY episode that Paul Buchman subleted his old apartment to Kramer (of Seinfeld), Jamie Buchman (of Mad About You) once appeared on Friends -showing up in Central Perk, Caroline (of Caroline in the City) once showed up on Friends and Ross (from Friends) showed up on "The Single Guy." NBC once did a "Black Out Thursday" where 3 of the night's shows (Mad About You, Friends, and The Single Guy) all suffered from the same blackout caused in MaY. (Seinfeld declined to participate in the TV event.)

All shows too place "in the same universe" though there's contradictions, Seinfeld for example made reference to "Mad About You." Though it's possilbe "a Mad About You" exsisted in Seinfeld's universe just not necessairly the exact same one *we* saw in the real world. (I believe The Single Guy also made reference to the show "Friends" existing in their universe. Again, it's like a show called "Friends" exsists but not necessairly the same Friends we all saw in the real world.)

Man, TV and sitcoms were fun in the 90s.

But the OP's "intent" with this thread is thin. A TV series' episode appearing on another series' box set doesn't make that episode "part of that series."

Crossovers between series can only make each series "part of that series" in a abstract sense even if the two series don't share the same DVD set.

All of the CSIs take place in the same universe as each new one was spun off the previous one through a cross-over episode.

Cheers, Frasier and the Tortellis all take place in the same universe (the last two spinning off Cheers.)

So this can really be a convoluted topic.

Don't forget. The character Phoebe on Friends had a twin sister Named Ursula which was the dumb waitress on Mad About You. It was clearly stated on the show friends and the character Ursula was shown on Friends quite a bit. Of course both characters where played by the same actress. Lisa Kudrow.

Also. Lance Henriksen Played Frank Black in a show called Millennium. It was created by the same guy who created X - Files I believe. There was an X-Files episode with Lance Henriksen as Frank Black.

Last edited by Odo's_Bucket; April 16 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Odo's_Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2009, 04:26 PM   #45
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Pindar wrote: View Post
Star Wolf wrote: View Post
It also gave the Jordan leads a different romantic target so they had another excuse to sloew the Woody/Jordan ship.
When did Woody join Crossing Jordan?
I was more of the Vegas fan, isn't Crossing cop's name Woody?