RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,167
Posts: 5,344,761
Members: 24,601
Currently online: 558
Newest member: Capt_n_Admiral

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Born to Run"
"I'll be back." (Excellent) 85 77.27%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 19 17.27%
"Thank you for explaining." (Average) 6 5.45%
"If we stay the course we are dead. We are all dead!" (Below Average) 0 0%
"You are TERMINATED." (Poor) 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 11 2009, 07:18 AM   #181
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral
 
Samuel T. Cogley's Avatar
 
Location: Hold still, Jim.
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
Fingers crossed for a third season, no matter how unlikely that is. (My guess is that we'll quietly hear that it's been cancelled about a week after Salvation opens.)
Most likely. At the moment though it is not cancelled.
Not publically, anyway.

Didn't BAG already commit to a leading role an an upcoming new show? Sounds like maybe he knows something that we don't know.
__________________
"If I didn't keep getting distracted by an avatar showing a sombrero'd dog getting his engineering hull penis substitute cut off I'd probably say that the above post was a point well made." - ITL
Samuel T. Cogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:20 AM   #182
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
Fingers crossed for a third season, no matter how unlikely that is. (My guess is that we'll quietly hear that it's been cancelled about a week after Salvation opens.)
Most likely. At the moment though it is not cancelled.
Not publically, anyway.

Didn't BAG already commit to a leading role an an upcoming new show? Sounds like maybe he knows something that we don't know.
^ TVGuide's article about it says that its a secondary contract. That means that if Terminator is renewed he is called back to it.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:24 AM   #183
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral
 
Samuel T. Cogley's Avatar
 
Location: Hold still, Jim.
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post

Most likely. At the moment though it is not cancelled.
Not publically, anyway.

Didn't BAG already commit to a leading role an an upcoming new show? Sounds like maybe he knows something that we don't know.
^ TVGuide's article about it says that its a secondary contract. That means that if Terminator is renewed he is called back to it.
Well, since his Derek Reese character is like 20 years in the future now, I don't see why he can't do both shows. The timelines are no longer conflicting.
__________________
"If I didn't keep getting distracted by an avatar showing a sombrero'd dog getting his engineering hull penis substitute cut off I'd probably say that the above post was a point well made." - ITL
Samuel T. Cogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:26 AM   #184
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain
 
hyzmarca's Avatar
 
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

Ryan wrote: View Post
hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Furthermore, Cameron's chip will not have the raw clockrate that John Henry's servers have.
Are you kidding? Her chip is from 20 years in the future. Look how far we've come in 20 years; a freakin' PS3 is over 1000 times more powerful than a Cray-2 super computer from 1989. And that wasn't even built by a super advanced AI that has no problem tackling things like liquid metal machines and time travel.

For me the biggest problem with the scene was that there's no way to get the chip from Cam to John Henry without both of them having to be shut down at the same time.
The PS3's Cell architecture both a highly parallel architecture and a highly specialized architecture. It includes a "PPE", which is essentially a hyperthreading single core general purpose processor and eight "SPEs", RISC floating point vector processors, only six of which are enabled at any one time, two are redundant failsafes. In terms of clockrate, it is 3.2 GHz, which is pretty much the hard limit on reliable commercial processors these days, though one can overclock much high using extreme cooling methods, these are unreliable.
The SPEs are great for certain types of operations, and crappy at others, which is why you have to very specifically write your programs to spawn the correct threads on the correct cores at the correct times, and it's best to do so in assembly, which is one of the reasons writing for the PS3 is fairly difficult.




Currently, parallel processing is the prefered method of increasing processing power. New chips have more and more cores, and they're more efficient, but they don't have any high clockrates than the previous two generations of chips.
The issue is Ohms Law, and certain related facts. Current = Voltage/Resistence.
Resistence = (Length*resistivitity)/cross sextional area
Power = Current*Voltage
Waste Heat = Power in - Power out

As manufacturing processes become smaller, more transistors can be fit onto a single die, and archetectures can be made more efficient. However, smaller transistors means thinner transistors, and thinner transistors have greater resistence.

In order to perform at higher clockrates, a chip must be supplied with more current, which means more power, which means more waste heat. As the transistors become thinner and thinner, the amount of current they can withstand without burning becomes less and less. But, more imporantly, with all of those transistors packed tightly together, the more power that is fed into them the more waste heat will be produced, and if this heat is not removed in a timely manner the whole chip will melt. Which is why very fast chips have giant heatsinks with giant fans, and overclocked chips tend to to use absurdly complicated and expensive cooling methods.

Terminators don't have giant fans in their heads, that I'm aware of. And their chips are very small but contain massive amount of storage as well as processors. For this reason, I must assume that they use a very small fabrication process and rely on architecture efficiency and simultaneous multi-threading instead of raw clockspeed. This would allow them to ourperform any modern hardware in terms of operations per second, while still having a realatively low clockspeed. And this is great for any native program running on the hardware. The problem lies in emulation. A quick and dirty hardware emulator would not be able to take advantage of greater archetecture efficiency to simulate greater clockspeed. A very well written one might be, but I'm not sure about that. I've never actually seen someone try to emulate a procesor with a very high clockrate a processor that can complete more Ops but which has a lower clockrate. There isn't much call for it these days.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:26 AM   #185
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

^ Um I'm not really sure how to answer that one... One show is on CW and is called The Body Politic where he'll play a policy analyst. The other is Terminator... Both have tight shooting schedules and are for different studios.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:28 AM   #186
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Ryan wrote: View Post
hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Furthermore, Cameron's chip will not have the raw clockrate that John Henry's servers have.
Are you kidding? Her chip is from 20 years in the future. Look how far we've come in 20 years; a freakin' PS3 is over 1000 times more powerful than a Cray-2 super computer from 1989. And that wasn't even built by a super advanced AI that has no problem tackling things like liquid metal machines and time travel.

For me the biggest problem with the scene was that there's no way to get the chip from Cam to John Henry without both of them having to be shut down at the same time.
The PS3's Cell architecture both a highly parallel architecture and a highly specialized architecture. It includes a "PPE", which is essentially a hyperthreading single core general purpose processor and eight "SPEs", RISC floating point vector processors, only six of which are enabled at any one time, two are redundant failsafes. In terms of clockrate, it is 3.2 GHz, which is pretty much the hard limit on reliable commercial processors these days, though one can overclock much high using extreme cooling methods, these are unreliable.
The SPEs are great for certain types of operations, and crappy at others, which is why you have to very specifically write your programs to spawn the correct threads on the correct cores at the correct times, and it's best to do so in assembly, which is one of the reasons writing for the PS3 is fairly difficult.




Currently, parallel processing is the prefered method of increasing processing power. New chips have more and more cores, and they're more efficient, but they don't have any high clockrates than the previous two generations of chips.
The issue is Ohms Law, and certain related facts. Current = Voltage/Resistence.
Resistence = (Length*resistivitity)/cross sextional area
Power = Current*Voltage
Waste Heat = Power in - Power out

As manufacturing processes become smaller, more transistors can be fit onto a single die, and archetectures can be made more efficient. However, smaller transistors means thinner transistors, and thinner transistors have greater resistence.

In order to perform at higher clockrates, a chip must be supplied with more current, which means more power, which means more waste heat. As the transistors become thinner and thinner, the amount of current they can withstand without burning becomes less and less. But, more imporantly, with all of those transistors packed tightly together, the more power that is fed into them the more waste heat will be produced, and if this heat is not removed in a timely manner the whole chip will melt. Which is why very fast chips have giant heatsinks with giant fans, and overclocked chips tend to to use absurdly complicated and expensive cooling methods.

Terminators don't have giant fans in their heads, that I'm aware of. And their chips are very small but contain massive amount of storage as well as processors. For this reason, I must assume that they use a very small fabrication process and rely on architecture efficiency and simultaneous multi-threading instead of raw clockspeed. This would allow them to ourperform any modern hardware in terms of operations per second, while still having a realatively low clockspeed. And this is great for any native program running on the hardware. The problem lies in emulation. A quick and dirty hardware emulator would not be able to take advantage of greater archetecture efficiency to simulate greater clockspeed. A very well written one might be, but I'm not sure about that. I've never actually seen someone try to emulate a procesor with a very high clockrate a processor that can complete more Ops but which has a lower clockrate. There isn't much call for it these days.
Terminator: Neural Net CPU
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:33 AM   #187
Ryan
Commodore
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

nx1701g wrote: View Post
It actually isn't much of a problem if you think about it. Cromartie's chip port is currently vacant on John Henry. John Henry was being controlled through the redundant memory port on the back of the skull assembly.
I'm pretty sure the redundant chip is in Cromartie's chest and John Henry was connected through the empty chip slot in Cromartie's head.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:34 AM   #188
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral
 
Samuel T. Cogley's Avatar
 
Location: Hold still, Jim.
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ Um I'm not really sure how to answer that one...
Well, the response I was going for was:

__________________
"If I didn't keep getting distracted by an avatar showing a sombrero'd dog getting his engineering hull penis substitute cut off I'd probably say that the above post was a point well made." - ITL
Samuel T. Cogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:36 AM   #189
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain
 
hyzmarca's Avatar
 
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ Um I'm not really sure how to answer that one... One show is on CW and is called The Body Politic where he'll play a policy analyst. The other is Terminator... Both have tight shooting schedules and are for different studios.
If the future scenes are filmed on location in the actual future, twenty years from now, BAG could just set the temporal displacement equipment to return him with plenty of time to film The Body Politic.

Lower clockrate, more efficient architecture, and such extreme architecture differences that John Henry must be running in a hastily-coded self-made x86 emulator.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:37 AM   #190
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

^ Cromartie's primary CPU port is vacant (they are located near the right temple) because Sarah confirmed she smashed his chip. They showed in the episode where John Henry was hacked that the fiber optics are connected near the back of his neck.

Though, from behind the scenes sources and confirmed on the DVD, the T-888 has three CPU ports.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:38 AM   #191
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ Um I'm not really sure how to answer that one... One show is on CW and is called The Body Politic where he'll play a policy analyst. The other is Terminator... Both have tight shooting schedules and are for different studios.
If the future scenes are filmed on location in the actual future, twenty years from now, BAG could just set the temporal displacement equipment to return him with plenty of time to film The Body Politic.
I want a Temporal Transporter. Maybe then I would make it to places on time...
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:55 AM   #192
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

nx, your avatar rocks man, excellent work and great idea
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 07:59 AM   #193
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
The PS3's Cell architecture both a highly parallel architecture and a highly specialized architecture. It includes a "PPE", which is essentially a hyperthreading single core general purpose processor and eight "SPEs", RISC floating point vector processors, only six of which are enabled at any one time, two are redundant failsafes. In terms of clockrate, it is 3.2 GHz, which is pretty much the hard limit on reliable commercial processors these days, though one can overclock much high using extreme cooling methods, these are unreliable.
The SPEs are great for certain types of operations, and crappy at others, which is why you have to very specifically write your programs to spawn the correct threads on the correct cores at the correct times, and it's best to do so in assembly, which is one of the reasons writing for the PS3 is fairly difficult.

Currently, parallel processing is the prefered method of increasing processing power. New chips have more and more cores, and they're more efficient, but they don't have any high clockrates than the previous two generations of chips.
The issue is Ohms Law, and certain related facts. Current = Voltage/Resistence.
Resistence = (Length*resistivitity)/cross sextional area
Power = Current*Voltage
Waste Heat = Power in - Power out

As manufacturing processes become smaller, more transistors can be fit onto a single die, and archetectures can be made more efficient. However, smaller transistors means thinner transistors, and thinner transistors have greater resistence.

In order to perform at higher clockrates, a chip must be supplied with more current, which means more power, which means more waste heat. As the transistors become thinner and thinner, the amount of current they can withstand without burning becomes less and less. But, more imporantly, with all of those transistors packed tightly together, the more power that is fed into them the more waste heat will be produced, and if this heat is not removed in a timely manner the whole chip will melt. Which is why very fast chips have giant heatsinks with giant fans, and overclocked chips tend to to use absurdly complicated and expensive cooling methods.

Terminators don't have giant fans in their heads, that I'm aware of. And their chips are very small but contain massive amount of storage as well as processors. For this reason, I must assume that they use a very small fabrication process and rely on architecture efficiency and simultaneous multi-threading instead of raw clockspeed. This would allow them to ourperform any modern hardware in terms of operations per second, while still having a realatively low clockspeed. And this is great for any native program running on the hardware. The problem lies in emulation. A quick and dirty hardware emulator would not be able to take advantage of greater archetecture efficiency to simulate greater clockspeed. A very well written one might be, but I'm not sure about that. I've never actually seen someone try to emulate a procesor with a very high clockrate a processor that can complete more Ops but which has a lower clockrate. There isn't much call for it these days.
seriously

you are comparing it to a PS3 or whatever, um, ok, yeah.... I think your comparisons are way off and don't really apply considering we are talking about FICTIONAL FUTURE TECHNOLOGY that is way more advanced than what we have now
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 08:12 AM   #194
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain
 
LutherSloan's Avatar
 
Location: Doing the Federation's dirty work
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

I can't even imagine the level of technology it would take to create something like a T-1001..

The only possibility I can come up with has something to do with highly-advanced nano-machines.
__________________
Deputy Director, Section 31

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 08:32 AM   #195
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Terminator-222 "Born to Run" - Season Finale <SPO>

^ That's what they are. Nanites.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
terminator

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.