TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 24 2009, 10:33 PM   #1
protocida
Lieutenant Junior Grade

James T. Kirk: Green Lantern of Sector 2814?

Hey.

I've been reading Geoff John's Green Lantern: Secret Origins and watching the Star Trek trailers and TV spots and just noticed something: John's Hal and Abram's Kirk are VERY similar! Check it out:

1°: They're both conceived, reckless, sarcastic, womanizing young men who also have a big heart and a natural sense of leadership.

2°: They're both affected by the death of their parents, especially the father.

3°: They both meet future important friends on a bar fight.

4°: They're both convinced to join a intergalactic protection force by a older member of the said force.

5°: They're both guided by an older member of the said force, who becomes their mentor.

6°: They both face off an enemy who comes back later on, more powerful than ever and eager to get revenge.

etc, etc...

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2009, 11:58 PM   #2
the Dagman
Commodore

Re: James T. Kirk: Green Lantern of Sector 2814?

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=86065
Old April 25 2009, 05:53 PM   #3
protocida
Lieutenant Junior Grade

This isn't about Pine's casting call.
protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 12:28 AM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's true, though, that Pine is playing a rebellious young guy who has to grow up and accept great responsibility in Star Trek and that is very much like Hal Jordan.

My guess as far as his actual casting is concerned is that if Warners were serious they'd have hurried up and made him an offer before Trek premieres - there's been nothing in the industry buzz for the last several months to suggest that his asking price is going to go down on May 9th.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 01:09 AM   #5
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Do you think what happened to Hal in Emerald Twilight could happen to Kirk? Alter his character in the same way, meaning?
Old April 26 2009, 02:34 AM   #6
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Being a big Hal Jordan fan who didn't like "Emerald Twilight" and favors the "space bug" retcon from Rebirth, I'd say, "No."

I don't see a case where James T. Kirk would kill/wound Starfleet Officers to satisfy some insane plan to take his fight to insanely powerful figures, like Trelane or the Organians.

I think the closest thing to "Emerald Twilight" for Kirk was Spock's death. He faced loss (as was later pointed out, his first time doing so) and attempted (somewhat selfishly, if it's possibly to do something selflessly for selfish reasons) to "fix" the problem.

The events of Star Trek III is the furthest I see Kirk going, where the total "casualties" to Starfleet crew involved two guards being knocked unconscious and a third Starfleet officer locked in a closet. Oh and the sabotage of the Excelsior.

In fact, that was carried out by Kirk's friends, who aided him, while Hal went to Oa alone.

Not to harp on a 15 year old story, but I still feel "ET" disregarded Hal's character and was a poor reason for moving him off the stage (compared with Gerard Jones' original idea, which also would have resulted in Hal being something other than a Green Lantern, paving the way for a Kyle Raynor-ish character to take over the title of Earth's GL).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote