Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 17 2011, 05:23 PM   #1276
Seven of Five
Commodore

Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Yeah, Extreme Measures was a very disappoionting one. As an episode that was the last Section 31 outing, and also the last Bashir/O'Brien team-up, it should have had more to it. The trip into Sloan's brain was a pretty clichèd one, and it moved the focus of the story onto one of fluff.

But alas, it had some redeeming moments. Bashir trying to get O'Brien to admit how much he liked him was a hoot, and I quite enjoyed Sloan killing Sloan.

Warhead is a distinctly average episode, which is a shame as VOY's last three episodes were alright. It ruined its good run with this pap.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 05:26 PM   #1277
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

The preceding was VOY's only shot, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the Ferengi stuff in "Dogs of War" has received a mixed reception but the rest is ace and really sets up the finale quite well.

I like "Equinox, Part I" but I wouldn't put it above "Dogs of War"; no way.
Old February 17 2011, 05:33 PM   #1278
Seven of Five
Commodore

Nah me neither. Dogs of War is much better. I even like the Ferengi stuff in it! It helps that there isn't much of Zek or Ishka.

I did like Equinox though, or at least the first part anyway. It was good to see a Starfleet crew that was on the edge and breaking all the rules. I probably wanted to see Star Trek: Equinox more than Star Trek: Voyager by that point in the show's run.
Old February 17 2011, 05:36 PM   #1279
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Yeah, the first part of "Equinox" is definitely superior to the second part. I don't actually hate part two like a lot of folks seem to but it's just not as good.

And I liked the Ferengi stuff in "Dogs of War", too! It's just that I see it get trashed for being incredibly stupid all the time so I figured I'd throw its mixed reception out there.
Old February 17 2011, 05:44 PM   #1280
Seven of Five
Commodore

They're so hit and miss that's it's easy for people to either love them or hate them, I guess.

Episodes like Little Green Men, The Magnificant Ferengi and Body Parts are brilliantly done and I enjoy them. On the other hand though, you have dreck like Profit and Lace and Ferengi Love Songs that make me wretch, and thay are easily contenders for worst Star Trek episode of all time.
Old February 17 2011, 06:07 PM   #1281
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Sykonee wrote: View Post
This could have been the Reverse Inquisition! Heck, this could have even been DS9's take on Intersections In Real Time!!!! (that hour-long interrogation B5 episode)
An interesting idea. Bashir, O'Brien, Sloan, some handcuffs, a chair and a ceiling light, that's all this episode needed. Bashir gets obsessed, O'Brien brings him back from the brink. It would be a throwback to Hippocratic Oath, but this time Bashir would be interrogating someone rather than working on a cure.

But I'd still want the alternate episode to have the "I love my wife" scene, that's quality material.
Old February 17 2011, 06:10 PM   #1282
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

An awkward pause followed. When conversation resumed, it was Miles, whose face was filled with the expression of a man desperate to convince the whole damn universe. "I love my wife..."
Old February 17 2011, 06:13 PM   #1283
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

I knew Extreme Measures had a bad reputation when I saw it, but at first I couldn't see why. I thought the teaser and the first few scenes after that were really strong. Then I saw what people meant - after a certain point the episode totally lost it and became very generic. Perhaps the concept could have worked, but there was no real flair to this episode. Poor Miles, he's been ill-served by the writers for a while now and this turns out to be his last important role.

I don't remember much about Warhead except the basic concept. I guess it's fairly generic sci-fi too, but you expect that from Voyager. I'm not sure it's better than Extreme Measures, but it's less disappointing.

Next week, though, should be really interesting.
Old February 17 2011, 06:15 PM   #1284
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

I really don't overly dislike "Extreme Measures"; it's definitely the weakest link in The Final Chapter but I'm still entertained by it.

Maybe I'm just that into the characters, though. The plot itself is pretty standard-issue, no doubt, and surrounded by all the goodness of the rest of the arc that's pretty underwhelming. But Bashir, O'Brien, Sloan... I like that a lot.
Old February 17 2011, 07:08 PM   #1285
flemm
Fleet Captain

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
I thought the teaser and the first few scenes after that were really strong.
The teaser is excellent, but feels more like a coda to Tacking than a part of this episode. Then, as you say, the arrival of Sloan on the station feels like a prelude to awesomeness, but the episode makes the wrong plot choices from there on out.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 07:20 PM   #1286
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Funny thing, that.

Before I did my big TNG/DS9 rewatch last year, I kept remembering Bashir's 'it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...' thing totally incorrectly. I'd recall the line and plot twist but the whole thing sounded so TNG-esque to me that I'd convinced myself it was from an episode of TNG.

I was a bit surprised indeed to find it lurking in the middle of DS9's final string.
Old February 17 2011, 07:46 PM   #1287
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
An interesting idea. Bashir, O'Brien, Sloan, some handcuffs, a chair and a ceiling light, that's all this episode needed. Bashir gets obsessed, O'Brien brings him back from the brink. It would be a throwback to Hippocratic Oath, but this time Bashir would be interrogating someone rather than working on a cure.
They managed to work a bit of that into this episode, with Bashir briefly becoming obsessed with uncovering all of Sloan's secrets before O'Brien talks him out of it. Again, hinted possibility of awesomeness, but instead we get an 'action' scene with, as Jammer put it, a "bad actor with a gun". Why oh why...
Old February 17 2011, 07:48 PM   #1288
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Jammer.

Quoted on the internet by people doing more or less the same thing he did since 1996.

Old February 17 2011, 08:13 PM   #1289
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
Jammer.

Quoted on the internet by people doing more or less the same thing he did since 1996.

Bah, he never reviewed B5. That makes me (and, er, Godben too) better than him!
Old February 17 2011, 08:14 PM   #1290
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Huh. You're right.

I was actually on his site again like a week ago and noticed that, too. It's pretty depressing.