RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 512
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 9 2010, 12:40 PM   #1186
Kai Winn
Captain

Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

yes, season for season ds9 promised to start action at long last, but what you get is nog dealing with ptsd. how comes he can spend day and night on the holodeck because he's a bit sulky, but molly got a few hours only, even though her removal caused real trauma? bashir tinkered a new brain for bariel not long ago, but can't make a leg for nog, so he had to go to a starbase?
Old November 9 2010, 03:28 PM   #1187
Seven of Five
Commodore

Nog was 'a bit sulky' because he had his leg blown off? Anyway I would imagine that Nog was transferred to the nearest medical facilty after his injury, as opposed to waiting for a ride back to DS9 just to have Bashir give him a new leg.

I really appreciate Paper Moon - it's a brilliant episode highlighting Nog's troubles. He hid away in the holodeck, not wanting to let go the cane he didn't physically need any more, and hit out against his friends when they tried to help him. His struggling to move on from what happened and live continued to add a more realistic tone to the ongoing war.

I would give DS9 the win over B5 really. I agree that the movie is miles better than the dreck that was Thirdspace and River Of Souls. I certainly enjoyed the story, and it's a shame that the potential laid down here was not fully realised in a full series of Crusade. It was, however, setting up a new series, and was busy introducing new characters and a mission. It doesn't have the emotional pull that Paper Moon did.
Old November 9 2010, 03:54 PM   #1188
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Seven Of Five wrote: View Post
Nog was 'a bit sulky' because he had his leg blown off?
Some people apparently learn about the psychology of warfare from Monty Python.

I'd also give the win to It's Only a Paper Moon, it's a fantastic story for Nog and utilised Vic really well. Both of them were really dodgy characters when first introduced, so the fact that there's a meaty, character-based episode centred around the two of them shows just how good DS9 could be.

A Call to Arms is okay as an action movie, but it's let down in several areas (the music and Galen mostly). On an emotional level, it doesn't compare to DS9.
Old November 9 2010, 07:54 PM   #1189
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Sykonee wrote: View Post
Not as good as In The Beginning, but much better than the other two.
I don't really agree with this - I'd definitely rank Thirdspace ahead of this one and possibly The River of Souls as well. It has good features - nice effects, good direction, a nice central performance from Bruce Boxleitner, Tony Todd showing up - but I think it rather bites off more than it can chew. One of the great things about the series was how it built up these epic conflicts and got us emotionally invested in them and the characters. This worked a lot better in an episodic TV format than as a 90 minute special (excluding In the Beginning, which, as a prequel, is a special case). It can't possibly match the impact of The Long Twilight Struggle, Severed Dreams or Endgame. Plus there's the problem that there aren't really that many Babylon 5 characters in it - Sheridan, Garibaldi, Lochley, Zack and I think that's it. I like all those people, but I miss the days when you could rely on Londo, G'Kar or Delenn appearing to spice things up!

I give this week to DS9. It's Only a Paper Moon, despite seeming to have all the ingredients for disaster (it's a holodeck episode about Nog and Vic Fontaine, yay!) is actually really cool. It's an excellent follow-up to The Siege of AR-558 and a unique and affecting story.
Old November 23 2010, 12:20 AM   #1190
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

Week 14: (Ending 01.10.99)
DS9 - Prodigal Daughter (Airdate 01.06.99)

Has it been 11 days since I last did this? Uh, um... what excuse can I give here? Heavy school load? Nope, that's never delayed me so long. Work? Nah, nothing's changed there. Distracted by new DVD box sets? Mm, a bit, but surely I could squeeze in just one DS9 episode in the meantime, right? But wait, it's this episode. Man, I don't want to watch that one right now. Maybe later. And later, and later, and later...

Y'know, Prodigal Daughter isn't bad-bad; it's no Meridian. It's just... so frightfully dull. Hands up over who's interested in an Ezri backstory? Well, that might be okay, but who's interested in Ezri's family troubles? Yeah, thought so.

I'm actually quite surprised that this one was universally derided by the writers and production crew as the worst of S7 - the actors do a decent enough job given the material. I'd think the next DS9 episode would earn that honor. However, we won't find out about that for a little while yet. Heh, no, I'm not going on yet another unexplained hiatus. VOY's just returning for a couple solo weeks first.

Weekly Winner
DS9

Next:
VOY - Latent Image
Old November 23 2010, 12:33 AM   #1191
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Very rarely have I been so bored watching DS9 as I was during Prodigal Daughter.
Old November 23 2010, 03:26 AM   #1192
Geck
Rear Admiral

I didn't mind it much when it originally aired - certainly not great, but I didn't think it was that bad or even boring. However, I've been unable to sit through it even once in the 12 years since... The handling of the O'Brien plot always bugged me. I wish we could have followed that instead.

The biggest novelty of the episode for me now is seeing a young Kevin Rahm, who I've enjoyed in many things since.
Geck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 07:52 AM   #1193
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 15: (Ending 01.24.99)
VOY - Latent Image (Airdate 01.20.99)

Aww, they flashback to the Kes years without giving us a glimpse of Lien again. I'm a Sad Sykonee...

VOY keeps up its somewhat greying of the series, bringing up the moral implications of Doc's nature. At first I thought this might be a retread of Measure Of A Man, but rather than focusing entirely on whether he has a living soul and, as such, his rights, we're given the opportunity to see him dwell on paradoxic philosophical quandaries that gives him no peace of mind. Okay, this is VOY, so chances are this won't be brought up again; still, I was surprised the episode didn't tidily wrap up at the end credits. Doc's still in the throes of every late-night stoner's worst nightmare (erm, yes, I've been there before), yet provides just enough of a window of hope for him to get out of that philosophical feedback loop. Either that, or the hash finally started to wear off. Doc's gotta stay outta the medicinal from now on, if y'know what I mean.

Weekly Winner
VOY

Next:
VOY - Bride Of Chaotica!
Old November 25 2010, 11:14 AM   #1194
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Latent Image is probably my favourite episode of Voyager. I love how the Doctor agonises over having saved his friend rather than a mere acquaintance and the scene where he has a breakdown in the mess hall was very memorable.

Oh, and I really liked how what we'd tend to assume are the Doctor's paranoid delusions actually turn out to be true. The other characters really are conspiring against him!

Last edited by Pemmer Harge; November 25 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Pemmer Harge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 11:35 AM   #1195
Bones
Commodore

Voyager's bloody brilliant.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 02:45 PM   #1196
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Latent Image would be a fantastic episode if only it had an ending.
Old November 25 2010, 11:55 PM   #1197
Seven of Five
Commodore

Latent Image is Top 10 VOY for me, though it's yet another EMH episode without follow-up. And yes, a mention of Kes would have been nice. All in all though, a million times better than Prodigal Daughter.
Old November 26 2010, 10:10 AM   #1198
Kai Winn
Captain

Sykonee wrote: View Post
VOY keeps up its somewhat greying of the series, bringing up the moral implications of Doc's nature. At first I thought this might be a retread of Measure Of A Man, but rather than focusing entirely on whether he has a living soul and, as such, his rights...
a shame you will quit this thread before author, author, which is the remake of measure of a man, but way better.

don't forget to point out that the doc isn't wearing his mobile emitter in bride of chaotica.
Old November 26 2010, 05:20 PM   #1199
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Latent Image is one of VOY's best episodes.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 06:45 AM   #1200
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 16: (Ending 01.31.99)
VOY - Bride Of Chaotica! (Airdate 01.27.99)

Silly. Goofy. Charming. Just like any scene featuring Captain Proton, really. Dunno if putting the ship in jeopardy was really necessary, but how else would you be able to convince Janeway to play the part? Ain't no way she's gonna put up with rationed "Coffee. Black." anymore.

It's a fun episode, but there's nothing to analyze here, 'specially so without any competition this week. Movin' on.

Weekly Winner
VOY

Next:
DS9 - The Emperor's New Cloak
VOY - Gravity