RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,691
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 809
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 5 2009, 09:56 PM   #91
thedude
Lieutenant Commander

Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Dark Page should win JUST because it's full of Kirsten Dunst... even pre-pubescent Kirsten Dunst > all things DS9. Just the sheer acting potential she showed in that episode probably made every TNG cast member re-think their careers... ;-)

Neither episode really that great in my book... I actually usually skip over Dark Page when watching TNG... the whole Troi story-line episode (aside from when she's taking the commander test) just didn't do anything for me.

Early Prediction- Attached in a LANDSLIDE. Probably a top 5 episode for both Patrick and Gates.
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 06:36 AM   #92
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

thedude wrote: View Post
I agree with you on the core of the definition of the word, but just because she comes from a race that exists in low gravity doesn't mean she's disabled by the common convention of the term. She's completely "normal" by her races standards, however appears to "function" perfectly, just not so well in what we consider normal gravity. I just don't see that as a disability, or a handicap... just a difference! BTW, the glass is always half full :-)
She may not match the dictionary definition of 'handicapped,' but it IS very fair to say that she is at a severe disadvantage in Federation standard gravity. Though she's normal for her race, it sets her very much apart from standard Starfleet officers and Federation citizens. Yeah, it may not be a perfect analogy to the handicapped people in our twenty-first century society, but it had been established that what we consider traditional handicaps have been for the most part fixed by the twenty-fourth century, so no analogy would be perfect.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 01:37 PM   #93
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

Week 8: (Ending 11.14.93)
TNG: Attached (Airdate 11.06.93)
DS9: Necessary Evil (Airdate 11.14.93)

I don't know why, but for some stupid reason, the thing that stands out the most for me in Attached is the African-American Prytt. Jus' sayin'. Um, anyhow...

Shippers week! Although not exactly expected, was it?

Oh, sure, there were tons of people looking forward to a Picard/Crusher storyline that got to the crux of their relationship. Unfortunately, despite forcibly getting it out in the open, it's handled in such a wishy-washy manner that it feels like nothing was gained from this storyline, thus nothing changes. Granted, they would explore it again at the end of the season, but we didn't know that at the time; instead, things remain unresolved, with their relationship more-or-less returning to status quo. Par for the course with TNG I guess.

Meanwhile, on that far-flung space station that people seemed to have forgotten about, an unexpected new wrinkle has developed in the relationship between Kira and Odo. The whole murder investigation is engrossing itself, but the way the final scene plays out is brilliant on far too many levels to briefly detail here. Simply put, it left the nature of their relationship wide open in such a way that it gave the writers plenty of maneuvering room should they be bold enough to explore it (which they did, yay!). Given how unexpected this must have been at the time (I doubt nearly anyone even considered a Kira/Odo 'ship could develop, especially after the events of the Circle Trilogy), Necessary Evil's boldness delivers a knockout blow to Attached's cautiousness.

Weekly Winner:
DS9

Next:
TNG - Force Of Nature
DS9 - Second Sight
Old June 6 2009, 02:24 PM   #94
VDCNI
Captain

Two weeks where I do like both TNG stories - particulaly Attached but mainly because they give my two favourite characters (Troi & Crusher) something to do. However I'd have to agree that the DS9 episodes in both weeks are stronger.

I didn't realise that Force Of Nature & Second Sight were on in the same week, I have sympathy for you having to sit through one of them let alone both!
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 06:09 PM   #95
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I like "Attached" for finally addressing P/C in such a fashion, but "Necessary Evil" wins for me too. It's an all-around more entertaining episode, I think.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2009, 06:08 PM   #96
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

VDCNI wrote: View Post
I didn't realise that Force Of Nature & Second Sight were on in the same week, I have sympathy for you having to sit through one of them let alone both!
I was half-tempted to just flip a coin, but then my reputation as a music reviewer might be in jeopardy if word got out that I cheated.

Week 9: (Ending 11.21.93)
TNG: Force Of Nature (Airdate 11.15.93)
DS9: Second Sight (Airdate 11.21.93)

TNG had a HUGE Event Episode this week. I do believe this is the first time that Spot is referred to as 'she', which means in the time between this and Spot's last episode, the cat had a sex change! This is astounding!! No wonder Data has begun having even more difficulty than ever in training him/her -all those wackily imbalanced hormones and such. Oh, and there was some other stuff involving the engines on the Enterprise-D: they apparently run 0.1% more efficient than the Intrepid's engines, which I'm sure will have important ramifications down the road.

Huh? Oh, that whole second-half 'technology is environmentally bad' bit? Balderdash! DS9's episode totally debunked that assumtion this week. Seyetik's "crowning achievement" has renewed the enviornment of the Epsilon 119 system; where there was just a cold, dead region of space, now there is a life-giving star! And he did it with freakin' protomatter, which is... um, really hazardous stuff, or something. Still, Second Sight proves technology totally kicks ass, man!

Huh? Oh, that whole 'Sisko finds love' bit? Um, well, I guess they finally gave him something to do outside of being the station's commander, but falling back on a love story isn't exactly the best way for the audience to warm up to the character; you have to first define who he is as a person before you can care about whether he finds romantic happiness, and he's still quite undefined beyond what we learned about him way back in Emissary. It unfortunately makes for a dry love story.

So, how do I compare the two? Spot's sex-change vs. Sisko's dream girl? Or 'technology is potentially bad' vs. 'technology is fuckin' wicked awesome'? Yeah, I'll give DS9 the nod here.

Weekly Winner:
DS9

Next:
TNG - Inheritance
DS9 - Sanctuary
Old June 10 2009, 01:34 AM   #97
Praetor
Vice Admiral

"Second Sight" was definitely better. A nice if slightly kitschy emotional story for Sisko.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old June 10 2009, 01:41 PM   #98
VDCNI
Captain

They are both very poor episodes but yes I would go for Second Sight if only because it was an attempt to tell a story that didn't quite work while Force Of Nature was an attempt to sell a message without any thought as to whether it made a good episode.
Old June 11 2009, 03:41 AM   #99
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I agree, VDNCI.
Old June 11 2009, 06:41 PM   #100
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 10: (Ending 11.28.93)
TNG: Inheritance (Airdate 11.22.93)
DS9: Sanctuary (Airdate 11.28.93)

Good ol' Echevarria. He always seems to take an incredibly simple premise ("Data meets his mother, who's also an android") and turn it into a compelling character story. Certainly doesn't hurt that Flanagan brings a lovely performance here.

Inheritance is highly underrated. Perhaps it can't be helped, as it comes after a string of sub-par episodes from TNG, mired at the tail-end an overall lackluster November from the Trek franchise, and the last thing folks want at this point is a character story (especially so if you've never cared for Data). It's quiet, understated, admittedly easily skippable... but still better than DS9's offering this week.

Sanctuary isn't outright awful, but never seems to gel as an episode. With so many separate plot-points, it feels like this was meant to be a two-parter that was condensed into a single hour. I'm not even sure what the message is supposed to be here, that the Bajoran's are at fault for being somewhat xenophobic after Cardassian occupation? Um, didn't we resolve all this with the Circle Trilogy? Frankly, I'm more annoyed at the Skrreean's arrogance and holier-than-thou attitude at the end of the episode.

And with that, DS9 heads into winter re-runs, with TNG following very shortly after. However, the competition should definitely pick up when the shows return in January, as B5 finally makes its proper debut. The plot thickens...

Weekly Winner:
TNG

Next:
TNG - Parallels
Old June 11 2009, 10:17 PM   #101
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Totally agreed, Sykonee. And "Inheritance" really is underrated - I can't help but think that people who haven't seen it read the description and go "That sounds stupid."
Old June 12 2009, 07:18 PM   #102
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 11: (Ending 12.05.93)
TNG: Parallels (Airdate 11.29.93)

Nothing much to add here. Good episode; like the parallel universe angle; fun seeing eternal straight-man Worf in such a situation. Fine way for the franchise to head into winter re-runs, though obviously no where near the level of previous season's Chain Of Command.

TNG wins by default, although it's odd that DS9 didn't have a new episode for the week. Don't tell me we're going to start doing that whole 'flip-flop' thing again come January...

Weekly Winner:
TNG

Next:
DS9: Rivals
Old June 12 2009, 11:23 PM   #103
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I've always loved "Parallels." It's hilarious how freaked out Worf is by the time he figures out what's going on.
Old June 13 2009, 08:29 AM   #104
VDCNI
Captain

Love "Parallels" - Worf was a good choice as he tends to react in a less straightforward way than the others. I was never a big fan of his in TNG but that's partly because his spotlight episodes were always heavy in Klingon lore which I've never been particularly interested in. In a way it reminded me of "Cause And Effect" - Crusher didn't need to be the focal character but she was and it was nice to see her outside her usual doctor role and here it's nice to see a Worf episode which isn't all about honour!

I would have gone for "Sanctuary" the week before though. "Inheritance" is a decent Data story but at the time I was just bored of Data stories. I quite liked the lack of certainty at the end of the DS9 episode as well - something we'd see more of later on.
Old June 13 2009, 08:34 PM   #105
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

VDCNI wrote: View Post
I would have gone for "Sanctuary" the week before though. "Inheritance" is a decent Data story but at the time I was just bored of Data stories. I quite liked the lack of certainty at the end of the DS9 episode as well - something we'd see more of later on.
It wasn't a happy ending, but it felt like a retread of Duet, what with the Bajorans forced to deal with their prejudices again and all; unfortunately it lacked the same dramatic punch.

Week 12: (Ending 01.02.94)
DS9: Rivals (Airdate 01.02.94)

I know there aren't many who like this episode, but I've always enjoyed the 'Day In The Life' angle; there doesn't have to be something weighty every time out, does there? Perhaps not the best episode to return to after re-runs (you can just see yet another drop in DS9 viewership here), but as light fodder to soothe your post New Year's hangover, Rivals is alright.

DS9 wins by default. Must be those devices giving it some good luck to not have any competition this week.

Weekly Winner:
DS9

Next:
DS9 - The Alternate