Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 3 2010, 11:00 AM   #796
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Week 3: (Ending 09.21.97)
VOY - Day Of Honor (Airdate 09.17.97)

The show continues to shake shit up, forcing the issue with regards to the kinda-sorta relationship between Tom and B'Elanna. I have to admit it's the first time I've ever seen an 11th hour "I love you" handled in this way: stranded in space. Perhaps what's best about this episode though, is it takes a page from what's made DS9 so consistently good for a while now, that being the Character Episode. Granted, VOY's had a number of them as well, but too often they're victims of plot-heavy scenarios, and we don't get to learn much about a character in the process. Here, however, the plot is merely the setup to get to the character moments. Plus, when you end the episode like that, there's no way you can hit a Reset Button. Continuity rules!

Oh, and Seven gets another b-plot all to herself. Okay, I guess we need this time to get to know the character, but let's not this become a trend, eh? There are other people in the credits, y'know.

Weekly Winner
VOY

Next:
VOY - Nemesis
Old May 4 2010, 06:28 AM   #797
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

Week 4: (Ending 09.28.97)
VOY - Nemesis (Airdate 09.24.97)

Saw the twist coming a mile away. The "Ugly Alien Is The Nice Alien" one that is. Hey, it's a sci-fi staple, especially when the purpose of the story is a propaganda allegory. Didn't see the brainwash twist tho'. Seems to be a bit of a complicated way to conscript potential Defenders, but you can't argue the results.

The fancy thesaurus speak seemed kind of pointless, the writers simply trying to come up with another Darmok alien language. Meh, nitpicky nigglings. This was a solid enough episode in the end, though quite stand alone after VOY had a decent run of continuity between episodes for while.

That's VOY's solo time over, and their ship kept steady throughout. DS9's back next week though, and considering how that show ended last season, you just know (or really, really hope) they'll have something great in store for us here. Will VOY be able to offer competition, or will it just throw it like they did last year with a Ferengi episode? Well, we're going to have to find out much later, as I'm going on a little vacation for the rest of the week. Ciao!

Weekly Winner
VOY

Next:
DS9 - A Time To Stand
VOY - Revulsion
Old May 4 2010, 12:42 PM   #798
Kai Winn
Captain

do not expect too much from ds9 next time, it's not great, but what did you say above, 'sci-fi staple'. voyager is not exactly awesome either, but they try something seen not frequently on star trek, an old-fashioned horror story. quite scary, and probably more memorable than the ds9 episode.
Old May 4 2010, 12:55 PM   #799
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
do not expect too much from ds9 next time, it's not great, but what did you say above, 'sci-fi staple'.

voyager is not exactly awesome either, but they try something seen not frequently on star trek, an old-fashioned horror story. quite scary, and probably more memorable than the ds9 episode.
It's so memorable I can't even remember what it was about.

OK, I looked it up on Wikipedia: that's the one with the creepy hologram serial killer on another ship? You prefer that to the absolutely awesome Dominion occupation arc? Whatever. Your taste is obviously so much different from mine that I just can't understand your reasoning at all.

(Oh, and I think Sykonee knows exactly what to "expect"... )

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 09:50 PM   #800
mattyhugh
Lieutenant Commander

do not expect too much from ds9 next time, it's not great, but what did you say above, 'sci-fi staple'. voyager is not exactly awesome either, but they try something seen not frequently on star trek, an old-fashioned horror story. quite scary, and probably more memorable than the ds9 episode.
For someone with a DS9 related avatar and username you do seem to piss on it a lot.
mattyhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 08:13 PM   #801
Seven of Five
Commodore

I haven't posted in here for so long. I'm sorry, and I'll sacrifice something to the Prophets later. Liked your season comparison anyway, and would say DS9's fifth season was just as strong as B5's fourth, just in different ways. Both blew away VOY's third season though, which was very hit and miss.

I really enjoyed the first few episodes of VOY's fourth season though. Seven was introduced and Kes was gone. I think Kes had plently of untapped potential, and I wish to this day it had been Harry, Neelix or even Chakotay had gone instead. Aside from that though, Seven was a very good character that mixed up the show successfully. At the time I remember thinking that the show was a bit more tense, which was probably to do with all the CGI fights the ship was suddenly getting into all the time.

As for the next bout of DS9 vs. VOY, it's no contest really. An epic Dominion war episode vs. a pedestrian horror VOY style.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 12:48 AM   #802
Kai Winn
Captain

mattyhugh wrote: View Post
For someone with a DS9 related avatar and username you do seem to piss on it a lot.
it's solid handicraft and i liked it better than voy or b5 back in the nineties. which were a romantic time, the cold war over, ideological loyalties not so important, the economy running strong. things were looking up.
then we had the hypocritical wars on terror, iraq, and the religious fanatics pressing you against the wall, and asking if you are saved are all over the place. i can't agree anymore with a show that justifies, glorifies religion, war, and destruction.
Old May 6 2010, 12:55 AM   #803
apenpaap
Commodore

So why do you keep the same avatar?
Old May 6 2010, 01:01 AM   #804
Kai Winn
Captain

do you believe it promotes ds9?
Old May 6 2010, 01:19 AM   #805
apenpaap
Commodore

No, but if you don't like the show anymore, then why do you wear an avatar from the show?
Old May 6 2010, 01:44 AM   #806
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

it's solid handicraft and i liked it better than voy or b5 back in the nineties. which were a romantic time, the cold war over, ideological loyalties not so important, the economy running strong. things were looking up.
then we had the hypocritical wars on terror, iraq, and the religious fanatics pressing you against the wall, and asking if you are saved are all over the place.
Tee hee hee. You think the 90s were peaceful? How silly.

An IRA technique used in the early 1990s was the "proxy bomb", a type of involuntary suicide bomb where a victim was kidnapped and forced to drive a car bomb to its target. In one operation in Derry in October 1990, the Provisional IRA chained a British Army cook to a car laden with explosives, held his family hostage and forced him to drive to an Army checkpoint where the bomb exploded, killing himself and five soldiers.
Terrorism and religious extremism didn't start on September 11th 2001, I'm sorry if an insular and self-absorbed media made you think otherwise.

i can't agree anymore with a show that justifies, glorifies religion, war, and destruction.
You should have no problem with DS9 then, it didn't glorify war at all, they had whole episodes dedicated to pointing out that war is grisly and all-round bad. But DS9 was also right to say that war is sometimes necessary.

Now Star Wars, there's a franchise that glorified war and religion (The Force). Why don't you go to a Star Wars forum, call yourself "Han Solo rulz" and troll the members there for a bit?
Old May 6 2010, 02:05 AM   #807
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
then we had the hypocritical wars on terror, iraq, and the religious fanatics pressing you against the wall, and asking if you are saved are all over the place.
Tee hee hee. You think the 90s were peaceful? How silly.

An IRA technique used in the early 1990s was the "proxy bomb", a type of involuntary suicide bomb where a victim was kidnapped and forced to drive a car bomb to its target. In one operation in Derry in October 1990, the Provisional IRA chained a British Army cook to a car laden with explosives, held his family hostage and forced him to drive to an Army checkpoint where the bomb exploded, killing himself and five soldiers.
Terrorism and religious extremism didn't start on September 11th 2001, I'm sorry if an insular and self-absorbed media made you think otherwise.
Exactly. For some of us, like yours truly, the 2000s are the boring peaceful decade after the war decade that the 1990s were. There was plenty of war, genocide, terrorism, assassinations and religious fanaticism to go around... just like in any decade. There are places where conflicts have been going on for decades. Your perception only depends on whether it happened where you live or it was far away and you didn't really care.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
i can't agree anymore with a show that justifies, glorifies religion, war, and destruction.
You should have no problem with DS9 then, it didn't glorify war at all, they had whole episodes dedicated to pointing out that war is grisly and all-round bad. But DS9 was also right to say that war is sometimes necessary.
I suppose Kai is following the logic that every show "glorifies" its subject matter? Well, VOY might be glorifying getting lost in the Delta Quadrant but I really don't see how anyone can say that DS9 glorifies war and destruction.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 05:11 AM   #808
mattyhugh
Lieutenant Commander

mattyhugh wrote: View Post
then we had the hypocritical wars on terror, iraq, and the religious fanatics pressing you against the wall, and asking if you are saved are all over the place. i can't agree anymore with a show that justifies, glorifies religion, war, and destruction.

Yeah, God forbid Star Trek actually resemble a realistic future. Warts and all. I don't think it glorifies anything.
mattyhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 11:03 AM   #809
Seven of Five
Commodore

Did you watch DS9? It never glorified war, and there were several episodes that did the opposite and showed the horrors that often happen. Necessary? Yeah, sometimes, but it was never pretty.

I would also disagree with the viewpoint of the 90s being peaceful. There were many violent encounters throughout the decade over the whole planet.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 01:44 PM   #810
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I suppose Kai is following the logic that every show "glorifies" its subject matter? Well, VOY might be glorifying getting lost in the Delta Quadrant
Nah, Voyager glorified the human race being drones in a cyborg collective, it glorified the Phage that ruined the Vidiian civilization, and remember that time it glorified it actions of Captain Ransom on the Equinox? I can't believe they got away with showing things like that back in the peaceful and romantic 90s.