New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 3 2009, 06:14 AM   #31
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Week 13: (Ending 04.04.93)
TNG: Starship Mine (Airdate 03.29.93)

...And then TNG comes back with another strong outing, reminding everyone who's still king of the castle when it comes to the franchise. Okay, I know Die Hard In Space has its detractors now, and definitely has its share of plot holes (what action movie doesn't, tho'?), but it was a fun bit of action sci-fi TV for the time, especially so for Trek.

Besides, it's wacky to see Russ and Tallman in these minor roles!

Weekly Winner
TNG

Next: Week 14
TNG - Lessons
Old May 3 2009, 05:13 PM   #32
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I do enjoy 'Starship Mine.' I know I shouldn't. But I do.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 05:18 PM   #33
Vulcan Princess
Rear Admiral

View Vulcan Princess's Twitter Profile

Starship Mine is one of my guilty pleasures. Plus, in retrospect, it's great fun to watch Picard deliver a Vulcan neck pinch to the terrorist played by Tim Russ.
Old May 5 2009, 06:25 PM   #34
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 14: (Ending 04.11.93)
TNG: Lessons (Airdate 04.05.93)

The annual 'Picard Gets Lucky' episode, although probably one of the better ones -for a change, Darren makes for a realistic love interest, and the ending is at least one of the more heartfelt resolutions to failed relationships in Trek. Still, I have to wonder how many folks tuned out after the first couple acts, thinking, "Oh man, not another Trek romance episode." Er, I know I would have had I seen it first run.

The flip-flopping continues, with TNG going into re-runs for a while now and DS9 coming back. Dammit, these two can't keep avoiding a confrontation forever. May Sweeps is coming up!

Weekly Winner
TNG

Next: Week 15
DS9 - Vortex
Old May 5 2009, 10:14 PM   #35
ltcmmanderdata
Lieutenant Commander

interesting topic. i liked starship mine too. starship mine had tim russ before star trek 7 and voyager.
ltcmmanderdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 11:42 PM   #36
Praetor
Vice Admiral

'Lessons' really isn't that bad. I appreciate the realism as well, which really makes it stand out as 'not just another romance episode.' Even I, as a kid, felt this way the first time it aired.

And the flip-flopping between rerun and first run is pretty funny. Performance anxiety much?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old May 6 2009, 09:51 AM   #37
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 15: (Ending 04.18.93)
DS9: Vortex (Airdate 04.18.93)

Okay, so DS9 hasn't made much of an impression for over two months now but it's the only new Trek this week, so I may as well check it out and- Oh, man, the beginning looks like another Quark-centric episode. May as well just tune out and- Huh? I should stay tuned? But why, it doesn't look like- Hey, this is actually about Odo and his origins. Hm, now this is interesting. Say, this is actually pretty good.

See, now this is how a new franchise show should be using its solo time while TNG is in re-runs, not using silly fluff like Move Along Home. S1 probably wouldn't have gotten the nasty rep it did had they slotted Vortex in that March sequence. Instead, it was quite the gulf between quality episodes that could draw in an audience.

Weekly Winner
DS9

Next: Week 16
DS9 - Battle Lines
Old May 6 2009, 05:54 PM   #38
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Yeah, 'Vortex' was an early gem.
Old May 7 2009, 03:14 AM   #39
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Praetor wrote: View Post
Yeah, 'Vortex' was an early gem.
It's remarkable how much this episode goes to describe Changling culture, even if it was probably unintentional at the time (was it?). After all, the audience is still left with as big of a mystery about Odo's origins as before, considering Croden's Changling stories were mostly just fanciful tales.

I'm rather surpised Vortex doesn't get many nods for the very short list of Must See S1 Episodes.
Old May 7 2009, 01:32 PM   #40
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I'm surprised too, Vortex was a very good episode and it ties in nicely with what we learn about the Founders later in the series. It is definitely one of my essential season 1 episodes along with Emissary, Captive Pursuit, Duet and In the Hands of the Prophets.
Old May 8 2009, 05:53 AM   #41
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

GodBen wrote: View Post
I'm surprised too, Vortex was a very good episode and it ties in nicely with what we learn about the Founders later in the series.
I guess it gets neglected because it came after a really dull stretch from DS9, so it's possible many just missed it.

Week 16: (Ending 04.25.93)
DS9: Battle Lines (Airdate 04.25.93)

Once again, DS9 scores a strong dark outing on its own, this time managing to really differ itself from TNG with quite the downer of an ending. I suppose some may have thought Sisko came off a little weak as a negotiator, especially compared to Picard, but then this wasn't that kind of episode, was it? I dunno. All I know is when I watched this way back when, Battle Lines managed to (briefly) recapture my interest in DS9, as it was an episode of Trek that I never thought I'd see.

All in all, DS9 managed to make better use of its third solo outing than the last time, but TNG's coming back next week, so we'll see which show's gonna come out on top during May Sweeps.

Weekly Winner
DS9

Next Week:
TNG - The Chase
DS9 - The Storyteller
Old May 8 2009, 07:19 PM   #42
Praetor
Vice Admiral

'Battle Lines' is another underrated episode.
Old May 9 2009, 06:38 AM   #43
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 17: (Ending 05.02.93)
TNG: The Chase (Airdate 04.26.93)
DS9: The Storyteller (Airdate 05.02.93)

In a very special episode of TNG, the crew set out on a mission that will have drastic implication on the very nature of our existence, plus undoubtedly annoy Creationists and Evolutionists equally.

Was this episode really necessary? I mean, sure, it has some nice moments in it, and it does shoot for a postive message regarding unity and somesuch, but I don't think folks were clamoring for a reason why aliens in Trek all look like humans with make-up (hint: it's the same reason aliens in b&w sci-fi movies look like humans). The annoying thing about The Chase is that, even in a fictional universe like Trek, discovering something like that would be profound, yet is treated as a kind of quaint "well, that explains that" sentiment, and promptly dropped even before the credits run. Um, hello, discovering all humanoid aliens are the product of a Master Race is GALACTIC SHATTERING NEWS!!!!!

Meanwhile, while the crew of the Enterprise-D are making one of the biggest discoveries ever -short of finding the God, I guess- O'Brien is having some silly hijinx on Bajor while Sisko is trying to deal with a headstrong young Bajoran leader and who cares about this stuff when it's just been discovered that all humanoid aliens are the product of a Master Race!!!!! Geez, I know DS9's backwoods and all, but surely they would have heard of this GALACTIC SHATTERING NEWS by now. You'd think someone was trying to keep that profound discovery secret or something. Hmm....

Which was the better episode? Well, The Storyteller's cute, but that's about it; it's hardly must-see, with nothing lost if you missed it. Meanwhile, The Chase is intriguing, but pulls such a doozy of an explanation for something that needn't be explained (seriously, we're perfectly fine with humanoid aliens on a TV budget!), and opens such a huge can of worms (which seems to be promptly shut again) that whether it was good or not is irrelevant.

In a nutshell, The Chase does something that The Storyteller does not: it sparks discussion. Success either way.

Weekly Winner
TNG

Next Week:
TNG - Frame Of Mind
DS9 - Progress
Old May 9 2009, 06:39 PM   #44
Praetor
Vice Admiral

'The Chase,' while it fumbles the otherwise interesting premise in some areas, does easily beat 'The Storyteller' in my book too; 'The Storyteller' ain't bad, but it ain't great either.
Old May 13 2009, 12:05 PM   #45
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

My hockey team's out of the playoffs. Finally got seeing the new Trek flick out of the way. Guess it's time to get back to Versus!

Week 18
: (Ending 05.09.93)
TNG: Frame Of Mind (Airdate 05.03.93)
DS9: Progress (Airdate 05.09.93)

It's a battle of the Number Ones this week!

Riker's put quite through the psychological wringer here, and the episode does a great job of ratcheting up the tension with bizarre twists, constantly keeping you guessing how it all pans out. Heck, even after all these years, I'm still left guessing what comes next. Remarkably, the plot and pacing never falls off the rails (er, even if Riker's means of escape seemed rather... convienient). While not a 'classic' episode, it's definitely a strong thriller.

Progress, on the other hand, at first seems like 'Another Bajoran Episode'. It's definitely a quiet one -you wouldn't think it would rate as highly as Frame Of Mind from the first couple of acts. Yet, the drama surrounding Kira's dilema is incredibly compelling, because it's a situation we all can relate to, and would have a hard time resolving if we were put into a similar circumstance. The Jake/Nog stuff is lightweight fluff in comparison, but amusing nonetheless.

Man, really tough call here. Both are good episodes -in fact, I think this is the first case of two strong episodes going head-to-head! However, I give the edge to TNG this week. It may not carry the same dramatic resonance as Progress, but it grabs your attention much quicker and doesn't let go.

Weekly Winner
TNG

Next Week:
TNG - Suspicions
DS9 - If Wishes Were Horses