RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 714
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 6 2009, 06:08 AM   #196
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Yeah, I know Fascination gets ragged on a lot, quite a bit of it well deserved. Even some of the actors despised it. I frankly can't explain why I don't have a problem with it. I just... find it funny.
Old September 6 2009, 07:12 AM   #197
Harvey
Admiral

Fascination isn't the series' finest hour, but it entertains. A Distant Star isn't anythign special, really. I think I rated it a C+ when I watched through the whole series last time. Hard to choose.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2009, 10:16 AM   #198
Bones
Commodore

I probably prefer Meridian to Fascination.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2009, 10:29 AM   #199
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Fascination is one of my guilty pleasures. I like it and don't see anything wrong with it. It's how Trek comedy is done well, with Past Tense coming up, I think a comedic show was needed, and if they'd just fallen back on Ferengi to make a comedic show every time they needed one, which was the case for a lot of the series, I would have probably not liked DS9 as much as I do. Ferengi could do some good stuff (The Magnificent Ferengi) but mostly it was horrible, boring farce (Profit and Lace). Episodes like Fascination probably saved DS9 from becoming totally depressing.

Then again, judging from people's reactions on this board, its one of those episodes you either love or hate.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2009, 05:14 PM   #200
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

God, I love Fascination! It's just ridiculously fun and the scene where Mrs Troi spins Odo around is brilliant. A Distant Star was also a good episode and the big spaceship was very cool, although I did find it a little hard to get over the fact that its captain was Dr Jacoby from Twin Peaks! Not relevant to this episode, but did anyone else miss original Na'Toth? Season 2 was definitely better than Season 1, but I do wish Caitlin Brown had been in it. This one's almost too close to call, but because Fascination was so entertaining and most people hate it I'm going to give it the prize.
Old September 6 2009, 05:25 PM   #201
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

The thing that works in Fascination -at least for those of us who enjoy it- is that it doesn't take itself seriously, so neither do we. It's rather like a comedy fanfiction ...which I s'pose makes the fact it was actually produced for TV somewhat unfortunate, but there it is.
Old September 6 2009, 05:29 PM   #202
TeutonicNights
Commander

but ... the Keiko bitching!
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 02:30 AM   #203
mattyhugh
Lieutenant Commander

TeutonicNights wrote: View Post
Is par the course for Keiko and not just contained to the episode in question. So you really can't condemn it solely on that.
mattyhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 08:27 AM   #204
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Strange, that I thought that Caretaker would have had aired around the same time as The Search...
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 11:08 AM   #205
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

USS Fardell wrote: View Post
Strange, that I thought that Caretaker would have had aired around the same time as The Search...
Nope, it aired around the time Past Tense, Part 2 was being filmed, which is why Voyager Season 1 is a lot shorter than DS9 Season 3.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 12:50 PM   #206
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Voyager's premier was held back until January, possibly because they were waiting for UPN to launch, or maybe because they had to wait for filming on Generations to finish so that they could build the Voyager sets. Either way, Voyager season 1 had 19 episodes (20 if you count Caretaker as 2 episodes) and 4 of them were held back for the beginning of season 2.
Old September 7 2009, 06:23 PM   #207
TeutonicNights
Commander

mattyhugh wrote: View Post
TeutonicNights wrote: View Post
Is par the course for Keiko and not just contained to the episode in question. So you really can't condemn it solely on that.

Hehe, true. But it was extremely bad in that episode imo.
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2009, 03:09 AM   #208
Harvey
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Voyager's premier was held back until January, possibly because they were waiting for UPN to launch, or maybe because they had to wait for filming on Generations to finish so that they could build the Voyager sets. Either way, Voyager season 1 had 19 episodes (20 if you count Caretaker as 2 episodes) and 4 of them were held back for the beginning of season 2.
And weren't some episodes of season two then held back for season three? I seem to recall that Basics was filmed back to back, rather than holding off the second part until after the hiatus.

Old September 8 2009, 08:03 PM   #209
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Sacred Ground, False Profits, Flashback and Basics Part 2 were all season 2 episodes which were held back to air in season 3. I heard somewhere that it was an experiment Jeri Taylor wanted to try because she didn't like having an end of season cliff-hanger with no resolution as it hung over the writers' heads all summer as to how they were going to resolve it. Unfortunately it didn't work out because three of those episodes were fairly bad.
Old September 9 2009, 03:04 AM   #210
Harvey
Admiral

I thought it worked out. Basics has a resolution that makes sense, and is able to keep around all the actors from the previous part without any gaps in continuity. From a standpoint of wanting to make strong cliffhangers with logical resolutions, it was a good strategy. Of course, the other three episodes were just standalones that were held over, so they have little do with her thought.