TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 12 2009, 02:59 AM   #106
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: New clip with Scotty

Classic Fan wrote: View Post
Viewer beeps and scanners and doors, holy crap.

Never ever EVER thought they would include those kinds of sounds on the new bridge. Heres to post production geeks -
There was an article several months ago (can't find it now, of course) in which one of the team talked about the bridge sound effects. I think they said that none of the actual original sounds were used, but in a number of cases they opted to reproduce the originals almost exactly.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2009, 11:44 PM   #107
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Classic Fan wrote: View Post
Viewer beeps and scanners and doors, holy crap.

Never ever EVER thought they would include those kinds of sounds on the new bridge. Heres to post production geeks -
There was an article several months ago (can't find it now, of course) in which one of the team talked about the bridge sound effects. I think they said that none of the actual original sounds were used, but in a number of cases they opted to reproduce the originals almost exactly.
I think i remember something similar somewhere.

And i guarentee those reproduced sounds are hidden away or so subtle only the eagle eared fan will spot them.

I just love the new interpretation of them, its clever. Especially the viewer beeps, instead of just singular pings, they have almost exacflty recreated the multi ping sound the viewer sometimes had. Maybe we will hear the single ping and scanners. Genius. The only movie recently to my knowledge to use the sounds of classic bridge were TFF and Gen (for the Ent-B).
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 12:11 AM   #108
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I hope Scotty doesn't always act this goofy throughout the film. He's supposed to be an experienced command officer as well as an engineer. I hope they don't abandon that.
Old April 13 2009, 12:20 AM   #109
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
I hope Scotty doesn't always act this goofy throughout the film. He's supposed to be an experienced command officer as well as an engineer. I hope they don't abandon that.
Thats my fear. However, this scene is obviously a tongue in cheek introduction. Scottys a genius who manages to beam them aboard the Enterprise while they at warp speed. I understand the need for comic relief, but i do hope it isnt just thrown out there for the sake of Pegg being a comedy veteran.

Im hoping that Pegg wouldnt have let it happen, and also the writers.

Yeah, thats how he looks in the clip and trailer, but hopefully not all through the movie. J.J. should know better.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 01:55 AM   #110
datas_cat_spot
Captain

He looks pretty serious in the group shot released early on. Given his situation prior to him ending up on the Enterprise, I can understand a little goofyness when he gets on board.
Old April 13 2009, 02:09 AM   #111
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

ian_tee wrote: View Post
I am a huge Simon Pegg fan. However does anyone else think his Scottish accent sounds just like his normal accent? Decidedly not Scottish. This clip has only 2 brief Scotty lines so maybe he will sound more Scottish in the context of the entire film.
Simon Pegg is a scot, isn't he? therefore his normal accent is a scots accent, isn't it?

Between this clip "is Scotty asking for a towel perhaps a not to Hichhiker's Guide?) and the clip where McCoy recites his litany of why going to space really sucks, I am now really looking forward to this movie.
Old April 13 2009, 02:16 AM   #112
indranee
Vice Admiral

he does sound a bit English to me in that clip.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 02:26 AM   #113
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Mysterion wrote: View Post
I am a huge Simon Pegg fan. However does anyone else think his Scottish accent sounds just like his normal accent? Decidedly not Scottish. This clip has only 2 brief Scotty lines so maybe he will sound more Scottish in the context of the entire film.
Simon Pegg is a scot, isn't he? therefore his normal accent is a scots accent, isn't it?
Pegg is from England, it's his wife who is Scottish. In fact IIRC, she helped him with his Scotty accent.
Old April 13 2009, 02:41 AM   #114
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I don't think we have much to worry about. It's been noted in several articles that Pegg worked with Doohan's son on-set to "perfect" Scotty. Also, we have have a very small handfull of lines to go off of, and there has only been one or two goofy ones, IMO.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 02:51 AM   #115
igrokbok
Commodore

What lens flares? Too busy watching a great scene to notice.
igrokbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 02:59 AM   #116
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Pegg is from England, it's his wife who is Scottish. In fact IIRC, she helped him with his Scotty accent.
I stand corrected.
Old April 13 2009, 04:25 AM   #117
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

I stand corrected.
Here's an article about that, from back in September, containing excerpts from a larger interview here.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote