RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 393
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 8 2009, 03:56 AM   #1
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
How should "Law & Order" end?

Since we have a thread talking about shows that didn't get finales, I'm wondering how you think Law & Order should end when it finally does end. It would seem like a difficult show to end because it's never been about character development. It's been about the formula of the weekly mysteries. So how do you do a finale that maintains the formula yet feels like a proper end?

My idea: Open the show with one of Jack McCoy's former ADAs--either Jamie Ross, Abbie Carmichael, or Serena Southerlyn--going into Jack's apartment to meet him for dinner, only to find Jack shot dead on the floor. The rest of the episode is about trying to solve the murder of Jack McCoy, complete with tons of cameos from past characters, including Mike Logan, Rey Curtis, & Ed Green putting in some extra detective work; Ben Stone, Adam Schiff, & Arthur Branch offering Cutter some extra legal advice; and Paul Robinette as the defense attorney. I've even got an idea for how to work in a Claire Kincaid cameo in a dream sequence.

What do you think would be a fitting finale for this long-running, cast-of-thousands TV series?
Old April 8 2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: How should "Law & Order" end?

That's the beauty of L&O. It doesn't have to end.

It's actor-proof. By being gloriously unconcerned with characterization, actors and characters are replaceable on a whim. That should allow the show to last nearly forever, because there's always actors who are willing to join the cast.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 04:20 AM   #3
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

^It doesn't have to end. But some of the ratings over recent years have indicated that the end may be nigh (although it did survive the Friday night death slot). Criminal Intent has been moved off of NBC to USA and is pretty much on life support. And frankly, I think Law & Order has been short on gravitas ever since Joe Fontana left.

Although, if the show were to keep going, I've always wanted to see Nana Visitor as a regular on the series. I kinda picture her as a female Lennie Briscoe.
Old April 8 2009, 04:21 AM   #4
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

They should go out with a bang and finally abolish crime in New York.
Old April 8 2009, 04:25 AM   #5
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Oooh! Oooh! I know. Lupo & Bernard get called over to a Special Victims Unit crime scene to investigate the deaths of Benson & Stabler. Ultimately, it's discovered they died of a fatal overdose of sexual tension.
Old April 8 2009, 04:27 AM   #6
Aragorn
Admiral

A two-hour series finale crossover with Heroes. Jack McCoy goes after Sylar!
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 04:27 AM   #7
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
That's the beauty of L&O. It doesn't have to end.
It does if NBC ever decides that it's sick of shelling out the money for it, which was the primary factor behind the most recent cast changes -- Sam Waterston had to take a pay cut and a reduced role, Linus Roache came cheap, et cetera. It's pretty costly to do all that on-location shooting, too. Considering that Law & Order's ratings are still pretty comatose, I'll be stunned if the show is on the air two seasons from now.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 04:33 AM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

JKTim wrote: View Post
Considering that Law & Order's ratings are still pretty comatose, I'll be stunned if the show is on the air two seasons from now.
At least then, it will have broken Gunsmoke's record.

And I think its current cast has some of the best actors (Roache, Sisto) L&O has ever had.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 06:03 AM   #9
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Some kind of big case with a moral dilemma that ends with something big for McCoy (who, although only one of many on the show, is the main attraction for many people). Either he retires, gets promoted, or wins something, I don't know. Maybe something good for Van Buren as well (promotion, maybe?). The cast regulars celebrate, but the cops get called out to investigate the case and the ADAs get ready to join in, showing that life goes on in New York City. Then they pan out to show the entire city and it fades to black.

Part of the advantage of this is they could revive it any time they want and it doesn't seem unrealistic. But, if they give closure to the characters who have been on the show the longest, it'll feel like something a bit more substantive.
Old April 8 2009, 07:43 AM   #10
Mordock
Commander

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Since we have a thread talking about shows that didn't get finales, I'm wondering how you think Law & Order should end when it finally does end. It would seem like a difficult show to end because it's never been about character development. It's been about the formula of the weekly mysteries.
Stop. Right. There. Unlike so many other major dramas of its era and later, L&O isn't about stunts and couples and tearjerking, it's all about the business of solving crimes. It should just end with a solid regular episode.

-Abraham Lincoln
Mordock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Dun! Dun!
Old April 8 2009, 07:48 AM   #12
Skywalker
Admiral

Whatever they do, I hope they don't end it in mid sen
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 08:39 AM   #13
Christopher
Writer

Mordock wrote: View Post
Stop. Right. There. Unlike so many other major dramas of its era and later, L&O isn't about stunts and couples and tearjerking, it's all about the business of solving crimes. It should just end with a solid regular episode.
Agreed. L&O is a show in the vein of the episodic dramas of decades past, and those almost never had any kind of finale. There's no arc to the series; hell, it's practically an anthology with essentially interchangeable characters. It should end in a way that's true to itself: another case, another trial, another day on the job.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 10:40 AM   #14
Delta1
Fleet Captain

After a grueling investigation, the detectives are called to the courthouse to testify. The ADA gets the conviction, and the two "separate but equally important" groups meet McCoy outside the courthouse. He says something pithy, then everyone is run over by a bus driven by Jill Hennessy.
Delta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 01:54 PM   #15
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

A case where the head of the Masucci Crime Family finally gets his just desserts. McCoy probably has a massive file on them with all the cases he's tried and lost.

Or as others have said. Just another day at the office.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote