Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 10 2009, 11:40 AM   #16
Jono
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9 Kitbashes

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
I think the Centaur is a pretty neat looking design. Exploring that one more would have been very cool.
Me too. I like to think it's the non-canon Mediterranean class.
Yeah, I can see the similarities, if that's the ship class you're talking about. But I think the Centaur looks more streamlined and elegant. And I somehow think Centaur is a pretty good name for it. Don't ask me why, I just think it is ...
The Mediterranean class was only mentioned in the Star Trek Encyclopaedia and has never appeared in canon. I'd guess that that image is a fan creation.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 04:48 PM   #17
Praetor
Vice Admiral

rofeta wrote: View Post

Yeah, I can see the similarities, if that's the ship class you're talking about. But I think the Centaur looks more streamlined and elegant. And I somehow think Centaur is a pretty good name for it. Don't ask me why, I just think it is ...
The Mediterranean class was only mentioned in the Star Trek Encyclopaedia and has never appeared in canon. I'd guess that that image is a fan creation.
It is indeed... The Centaur is more elegant to me too. I think the Centaur is to Excelsior what Miranda is to Constitution... although no doubt in smaller numbers. The similarity to the fan-created Mediterranean makes it all the more easy for the 'real' one to take its place, IMO.

I'd be very happy to be able to fit most of those kitbashes to those names from the Encyclopedia... not sure that it's very feasible, though. I would quite like to make a table of the ships from the 'pedia, then compare it to the canon info from Memory Alpha and then try to reconcile that with the kitbashes...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 05:28 PM   #18
nx1701g
Admiral

rofeta wrote: View Post

I believe that the class name was present on the Starship Operations screen in the Conference Room.

Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 06:40 PM   #19
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Really? It's not on this one, but others are. I'd like to assume as much 'speculative info' from the Encyclopedia as canon as possible, except where we know better.

I wonder what other names might have appeared on displays...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 03:45 AM   #20
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

I don't even know what a 'kitbash' is.

But anyway, I really LOVE your avatar, NCC-1701. One of the more creative DS9 avatars I've seen in a while.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 03:54 AM   #21
M
Vice Admiral

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
Yeah, I didn't know either before I joined the board and visited the Trek Art forum. It does apparently mean that you're using parts of different commercially available model kit to build a new model.

But anyway, I really LOVE your avatar, NCC-1701. One of the more creative DS9 avatars I've seen in a while.
Aww, thanks, PK! It's a nice image, isn't it? Somehow it reminds me of my own childhood. It also brings back nice memories of early DS9. It's kind of an iconic image for DS9, methinks. I was inspired by one of the caps in the Trek Screencap Game thread in General Trek. I just had to transform it into an animation.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 03:55 AM   #22
miraclefan
Commodore

It's when they buy a ton of AMT trek kits and use parts from differant ships to make a new class of vessel, they were quite common in DS9. I prefer to call them what they ''really'' are. The Frankenstien Fleet!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 04:09 AM   #23
Jono
Rear Admiral

^ A kitbash is where you take a model kit/s and rearrange the parts into a new design, eg sticking Galaxy class nacelles on a Constitution class, that type of thing.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote