Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 31 2009, 03:17 PM   #1
davidant32
Commodore

Question for Dominion War Space Battle Buffs

DS9 is never on tv anymore and I don't have the dvds so I must ask this question here:

Did we see any Intrepid class starships in any of the conflicts, or even throughout the series?

I'm trying to remember all the classes of Federation starships that were shown onscreen during the battles: Excelsior-, Akira-, Defiant-, Nebula-, Miranda-, and Galaxy-class ships were shown.

IIRC, we never saw Sovereign-, Constitution-, Constellation-, Oberth-, Nova-, Prometheus-, or Intrepid-class ships.

The reason I ask is because I was trying to imagine what Voyager's role in the war would've been if they'd made it back in time (or never left)... either fighting with the "bigger" ships or some support/supply role (perhaps with other smaller ships). Wasn't the size of the Intrepid class comparable to the Miranda class, also in terms of firepower?
Old March 31 2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Timo
Admiral

Re: Question for Dominion War Space Battle Buffs

The only time we saw an Intrepid that wasn't the Voyager was in "Inter Arma Enim Silet Leges", where a USS Bellerophon ferried some VIPs to Romulus and back for an important wartime conference. Outside that, the producers of both DS9 and VOY must have made a conscious decision not to use the model or computer graphic of the Intrepid class for any purpose.

We might take this to indicate that this ship class doesn't fare well in combat - but we saw far sorrier ships in the big battles.

We might also choose to believe that this ship fares best in things other than big battles, and is never wasted on such battles for just this reason. This rather makes sense: the ship was stated to be superfast and supermaneuverable in "Caretaker" already, so perhaps reserving her for ferry missions or long range solo operations would be the smart thing to do. Forcing the ship to maneuver at the pace of older and clumsier ships would be wasteful.

Or we might simply choose to say that Starfleet never built many of these ships, and thus simple statistics would dictate that we never saw them in battle.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 03:33 PM   #3
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Intrepid class images were seen on computer screens on the Defiant in Sacrifice of Angels, What You Leave behind etc. Although the orbital complex from The Motion Picture was also seen as well.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I thought the Bellerophon was actually named as Ross' flagship? I was under the impression it was chosen for the Intrepid's ability to cheese it in the event of an overwhelming Dominion victory.

We see a few other classes the OP doesn't mention, like the Curry class (heh) and whatever the Centaur was supposed to be (pseudo-Miranda-thing, although good looking).

We didn't see any Ambassador class ships, which I felt was unfortunate.

It is of course a very wrongheaded shame that they wanted to hoard the Sovereign for the films.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

There were six hundred starships in the Operation Return fleet. More than enough such that various starship classes could be there and simply not seen. For example, apparently the Centaur was there (Captain Reynolds was referenced in dialogue) and was seen mustering before they left Starbase 375, but we didn't actually see her in battle.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

^We can definitely assume that dozens to hundreds of Sovereigns took part in the war (for that matter all the available Ambassadors). I'm just saying it's a pity that they didn't want to "waste" the E-E's cachet on pitiful ol' DS9.

Old March 31 2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Timo
Admiral

I thought the Bellerophon was actually named as Ross' flagship?
Not in any episode, no (although I'd guess Diane Carey's novelization might make that claim).

As far as we can tell, Ross was merely a onetime passenger aboard that ship, without any access to the bridge or anything.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
I thought the Bellerophon was actually named as Ross' flagship?
Not in any episode, no (although I'd guess Diane Carey's novelization might make that claim).

As far as we can tell, Ross was merely a onetime passenger aboard that ship, without any access to the bridge or anything.

Timo Saloniemi
Except the briefing room.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2009, 01:03 AM   #9
brianbeercan
Lieutenant Commander

I'm pretty sure any admiral would have access to pretty much any bridge in the fleet.
Old April 1 2009, 01:13 AM   #10
davidant32
Commodore

^^ unless it had an illegal cloak, like the Prometheus
Old April 1 2009, 02:07 AM   #11
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

The only time we saw an Intrepid that wasn't the Voyager was in "Inter Arma Enim Silet Leges", where a USS Bellerophon ferried some VIPs to Romulus and back for an important wartime conference. Outside that, the producers of both DS9 and VOY must have made a conscious decision not to use the model or computer graphic of the Intrepid class for any purpose.
I have to admit, if this is more or less the case, I'll never understand this view. I think of all the series, VOY and ENT really suffered to an extent from Executive Meddling. Why does showing another ship of the same class "take away" from the hero ship that belongs to that class?

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2009, 02:20 AM   #12
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

You get that a lot, though. It's a big sci-fi/fantasy trope. Mass production is always worse than a single prototype in fiction. The Sovereign thing is a watered-down version of this same notion (we know, abstractly, that there at least two and maybe hundreds, but as long as the only one we see is the E-E, it's still special and mystical).

Funny, that they didn't do that so much in TNG and TOS. We see Constitutions all over the place, and a Galaxy sister in Contagion and Where Silence Has Lease. DS9, however, while fine with showcasing a dozen Galaxies, didn't want to mass-produce its hero ship, either... so instead of whole wings of Defiants, we get whole wings of Mirandas led by the Defiant.

Old April 1 2009, 03:19 AM   #13
SoM
Commander

Well, the fact that the Bellerophon became an Intrepid was almost wholly down to the fact that they had no money for a new set, so they asked the VOY showrunners if they could borrow their sets for the shooting [If they'd demurred, it would have been a Defiant-class]

As for "mass-production"... I do seem to recall that the DS9 showrunners weren't entirely happy about multiple Defiant-class ships appearing in "Message in a Bottle", but they weren't consulted about it. I'll look it up later when I get the chance.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2009, 05:09 AM   #14
Jono
Rear Admiral

davidant32 wrote: View Post
It was the Pegasus not the Prometheus.

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
You get that a lot, though. It's a big sci-fi/fantasy trope. Mass production is always worse than a single prototype in fiction. The Sovereign thing is a watered-down version of this same notion (we know, abstractly, that there at least two and maybe hundreds, but as long as the only one we see is the E-E, it's still special and mystical).

Funny, that they didn't do that so much in TNG and TOS. We see Constitutions all over the place, and a Galaxy sister in Contagion and Where Silence Has Lease. DS9, however, while fine with showcasing a dozen Galaxies, didn't want to mass-produce its hero ship, either... so instead of whole wings of Defiants, we get whole wings of Mirandas led by the Defiant.
In TOS we see almost nothing but Constitutions, there's no variety. So TNG shows Galaxy sister ships in two episodes, well DS9 equals that with Call to Arms and Valiant and if you count mirror universe Defiant as a sister ship you also have Shattered Mirror and The Emperor's New Cloak and Sao Paulo, you also then have Dogs of War and What You Leave Behind.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2009, 10:02 AM   #15
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

rofeta wrote: View Post
davidant32 wrote: View Post
It was the Pegasus not the Prometheus.

Myasishchev wrote: View Post

In TOS we see almost nothing but Constitutions, there's no variety. So TNG shows Galaxy sister ships in two episodes, well DS9 equals that with Call to Arms and Valiant and if you count mirror universe Defiant as a sister ship you also have Shattered Mirror and The Emperor's New Cloak and Sao Paulo, you also then have Dogs of War and What You Leave Behind.
The thing with Call to Arms is that if you don't squint, then you'll see the other Defiants. The Valiant, well, y'know what happened to the Valiant

From a narrative point of view, having the hero ship be unique makes it easier to track in those huge chaotic battles and further elevates the main cast above the rest of the combatants. It was a trick that Voyager and Enterprise also employed, but probably to less controversy since they would join with non-Starfleet fleets.