Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS version]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 7, 2009.

1. CordrazineOD

CordrazineOD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS vers

IGN review [MINOR SPOILERS]: http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/973/973956p1.html

I skipped a paragraph or two, one of which was going into detail about Kirk and Spcok at the Academy.

The review is ultimately positive (3.5/5--"Fresh" on RottenTomatoes.com), but reviewer has problems with the plotting. This bit of criticism left me incredulous:

Independence Day?! Get the fuck outta here! That's one of his standards?! OK, it was entertaining, at least until the weak, contrived climax where they blow the mothership with a computer virus, but that movie overall is so shallow, so unoriginal, so typically dumbed-down. Star Trek damn well better compare favorably to Independence Day. I refuse to believe J.J. would produce and direct something inferior in any way to Independence Day. I hope it's just the reviewer being off his rocker.

2. CordrazineOD

But does the opening outshine the rest of the movie and make it pale in comparison in an anticlimactic sort of way? Some people had that criticism of First Contact because the Borg cube was destroyed in the opening action sequence.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If any big budget actioner can deliver "great character interaction and genuine humanity" I'll spot them a humdrum fistfight or two - so few "crowd pleasers" can do the former and the likes of Michael Bay can pay off one more m-f-ing action sequence in their sleep.

4. CordrazineOD

Yes, that's my attitude exactly. There's no reason why they can't integrate more big budget action into a Trek movie as long as the characters are respected and are driving the story.

5. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

He also says that Star Trek is just as bad as Iron Man. I don't know about you, but I thought Iron Man was one of the best superhero movies ever (only beaten by The Dark Knight).

6. msbae

msbae Commodore

Iron Man was okay. I think this critic is talking out of his ass.

7. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if Star Trek is as bad as Iron Man, and we accept that Iron Man is actually good, then Star Trek is therefore as good as Iron Man.

Gah, nuspeak hurts.

8. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

ID4?! geez :lol: :lol:

9. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I mean the first Independence Day was bad enough; to compare it to ID4 is just insulting.

10. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

Hey, at least 'Independence Day' was a better modern remake of 'War of the Worlds' than that Spielberg-Cruise abortion from a few years back.

(There, I said it. :p)

11. CordrazineOD

I also thought Iron Man was OK. It was solid, but I was kinda ready for it to be over before the last half hour and I remember not being so impressed with the battle at the end. I like TDK more. And I actually like Batman Begins at least as much as TDK.

12. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Iron man was great!

The bad guy was a bit underwhelming and I'm expecting the same thing with Nero, so maybe the parallels do exist.

13. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

^^ True. But for me, Iron Man was really about the character. And much as I dislike Robert Downey jr., this was a perfect role for him. Much like Peter Parker in the first (actually ALL) Spider-Man films, I found him more entertaining outside of the superhero persona.

That said and back on topic, these are three more reviews that bode well for Star Trek. Let's hope many people read these and go see the film so that we all can get a sequel.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Star Trek is like Iron Man and nowhere near Independence Day. Fine by me.

15. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

one mild spoiler not important to the plot./
    spoiler about interaction between characters..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  16. Civil Shadow

Civil Shadow Lieutenant Red Shirt

*brain break*

It's still a significant character moment, so...umm, it's between the first two pictures and the next one for those who can actively not read stuff.

17. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IGN: Star Trek is very good, but the plot is a mess

Star Trek UK Review by IGN

Opinions?

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

Re: IGN: Star Trek is very good, but the plot is a mess

Fair enough.

An unequivocal success is something good, no?

As for their misgivings about the plot, the same can be said for many a summer blockbuster, yet it has never really hurt any of them. The reviewer said he was never on the edge of his seat. Others disagree. The point, ultimately, is that according to him, the film works as far as the characters are concerned. It has heart. That may connect more strongly to audiences than a plot-driven film. He compares ST with Iron Man, about which I agree with him. Star Trek could do worse than be likened to a solidly entertaining film that brought in strong numbers and two Oscar nominations.

20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: IGN: Star Trek is very good, but the plot is a mess

Interesting, the reviewer didn't like Urban's performance.

From the reviews so far, it seems the plot will be shallow and could be the movie's Achilles Heel, keeping it from even greater box office heights than it may achieve.

From all accounts, Orci and Kurtzman seem to have the characters down cold, but one hopes they either mature as story tellers by the time they start the sequel, or they bring in an outsider to help them. They seem to be about 85 percent there in having truly electrified the franchise. Wouldn't it be great to see some of the better sci-fi writers of the day being called to submit treatments for the next movie and take things over the top?