Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode
Excellent 12 24.49%
Above Average 26 53.06%
Average 9 18.37%
Below Average 2 4.08%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7 2009, 06:20 AM   #31
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Heroes 3x22 "Turn and Face the Strange" Discuss and Grade

A couple of things I've realized: One, I've never been in the situation to say for sure but if I knew someone fired a gun at me and I knew they'd do it again I would take.them.out. Second, I am getting tired of superheroes constantly on the run/under the thumb from the authorities/government. Not just here but in all media.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 06:36 AM   #32
Dream
Admiral

Pretty good. I loved Sylar playing mind games with Noah with his shape shifting.

I didn't like the whole Hiro and Ando with baby thing. Maybe now that they've found Matt the writers can give them something to do?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 07:47 AM   #33
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Does sylar morphing into a woman now make him transgendered if not a transvestite?
How is he able wear Sandra's or any other woman's clothes without it ripping? And uhh, does his junk kind of just go inward and outward when he does change? Has that question ever been discussed in any other medium, like X-men with Mystique or Morph?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 08:00 AM   #34
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I would assume that if he morphs into a woman his penis temporarily disappears and he grows a vulva and breasts.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 08:13 AM   #35
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Does sylar morphing into a woman now make him transgendered if not a transvestite?
How is he able wear Sandra's or any other woman's clothes without it ripping? And uhh, does his junk kind of just go inward and outward when he does change? Has that question ever been discussed in any other medium, like X-men with Mystique or Morph?
Yes, and it depends.

Some shapeshifters are anatomically correct and fully functional, even able to impregnate when in male form and become pregnant when in female form. Transformation while pregnant is not advised.

For others, it's just a surface change.

The most powerful have such total control over their physical structure that they are effectively both asexual and omnisexed, capable of reproducing without outside help, and of taking taking any role in any act of sexual reproduction without regard to species, or the number of sexes that the species has.

Anyway, I'd say that Sylar isn't transgendered, which implies a psychological identification as female, but could be considered a transsexual when transforming, though it is unlikely that he is fertile. Most likely, his internal organs and gonads remain unchanged.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 01:20 PM   #36
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

I was under the impression that Missy Peregrym(sp)'s character from Season 1 was a simple "hollow" image only shapeshifter due to the ease with which she shifted.

Sylar's current ability however looks physically painful and much more than a simple hologram projected to others, it looks like his body undergoes a physical change.
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 01:50 PM   #37
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile

In this episode Sylar told Danko about how he should get that mole checked you know where, which clearly indicates that this shape-shifting is a perfect physical copy with every single physical facet recreated, so I would say he absolutely grew a giney. Missy Peregrym's character only created a physic illusion.
Old April 7 2009, 02:25 PM   #38
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I would assume that if he morphs into a woman his penis temporarily disappears and he grows a vulva and breasts.
I hadn't thought much about it but there's whole avenues of unexplored territory associated with this power I think.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 05:22 PM   #39
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Fast nationals are in. It's official--the general public doesn't know or doesn't care about Brian Fuller: 6.05 million viewers. 2.6/6 in the 18-49 demo. Series low. Number 4 in the time slot. Only a repeat of OTH on the CW performed worse.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 7 2009, 06:24 PM   #40
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

^too bad, Ive really been enjoying the show since Fuller returned. I was pretty blah about it during parts of the 2nd season(anything with the twins) & the Villains chapter(God I hated Villains) a shame if it gets cancelled right when it seems to be heading on the right track again. Last night I only found the stuff with Hiro/Ando/baby Matt boring. They really need to stop with all this "Im a true hero-manchild" nonsense with Hiro, its gotten sooo old!
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 06:29 PM   #41
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

They need to write Hiro out. If Fuller did that, I'd be a true believer. Hiro, Mohinder, and their precious Claire should all go. Starpulse did an article a few days ago about 10 things to improve Heroes. Its author suggested killing Nathan and giving Claire a new BFF. Where's the vomit emoticon? Of course he also thought Sylar should shapeshift into a woman and stay that way, so none of the posters who commented were very impressed. No, the article was not dated April 1. He appeared to have been serious. Wanted Claire and her BFF to have a Thelma and Louise type adventure.

Hiro's child routine is no longer cute because kids are supposed to grow up. Masi is what? 34 or 35 years old? It gets pathetic after awhile. Hiro never learns. If Fuller kills off Nathan, I'm gone.

Old April 7 2009, 06:43 PM   #42
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

I gave it an above average mostly because everyone's favorite badass was finally played for a dupe and was at his wits end. It's not like I don't like Noah. It's just that his constant being two steps ahead was borderline Batman's "always has a plan" motif. Putting him at the receiving end of the con job makes him more human, therefore a more intertesting character. Now, with no Primatech or government to back up his badassery (and no wife), he now has to rely on the very people he's spent his adult life hunting down for help.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 07:03 PM   #43
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Of course he also thought Sylar should shapeshift into a woman
Sylar is no longer interesting as a villian. They need to write him out and move onto a fresher villian next season.
If Fuller kills off Nathan, I'm gone.
Pasdar is a good actor and is not bad to look at but I think his character has been so poorly handled with several cases of schizophrenic characterization that I don't think he can be taken seriously as a character with understandable motivations and attitudes. I know I can't. I see him simply as a plot device.

No, I think he needs to go. He hasn't added much to the show for the last two seasons. Hiro is annoying. I feel bad for Masi having to perform some of the cringe-worthy lines he has to deliver. What has Matt added to the show? Or Suresh? Or Tracy? Or Ando?

I'm telling you they need to scrap the whole cast with the exception of Angela.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 07:09 PM   #44
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

At least Nathan has some potential to salvage, thought, startrekwatcher. I hear what you're saying about how a cast turnover is needed. I still think there's rooting interest in trying to rebuild a fraternal relationship between Nathan and Peter. I'd get rid of Sylar before I'd get rid of Nathan. Sylar is played out as a villain. If I were the exec and really allowed to clean house, I'd keep four characters--Nathan, Angela, Peter and Noah. That's it. All four have great potential and possibilities. The Petrellis are a good solid base of characters to build around, and Noah is connected to them through Claire, who needs to attend college overseas somewhere.

Old April 7 2009, 07:29 PM   #45
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

At least Nathan has some potential to salvage, thought, startrekwatcher. I hear what you're saying about how a cast turnover is needed. I still think there's rooting interest in trying to rebuild a fraternal relationship between Nathan and Peter. I'd get rid of Sylar before I'd get rid of Nathan. Sylar is played out as a villain. If I were the exec and really allowed to clean house, I'd keep four characters--Nathan, Angela, Peter and Noah. That's it. All four have great potential and possibilities. The Petrellis are a good solid base of characters to build around, and Noah is connected to them through Claire, who needs to attend college overseas somewhere.
Anything is possible. Fuller could salvage them but I have kept giving the writers a chance to salvage these characters and I can't say my view has changed. Writers have a small window of opportunity to make the audience care for characters and they succeeded in season one and two but after this season I just have nothing but indifference for almost all of them.

Even when a once solid show starts a slip into a downward spiral I almost always can stick around to see the characters I care about even if the story sucks. But Heroes has managed to make me not care about characters I once did and for me I don't see that changing especially with all the erratic scripting they've endured. They are damaged goods.

They really just need to adopt the original idea Kring had of changing out the cast each season with all new characters. It would give Fuller a chance to jettison all the baggage and could truly start anew and only retain certain aspects of the show's ground-rules that make sense. New viewers could come onboard without needing to know everything from the first three seasons which was so inconsistent at times it is pretty worthless anyway.

But I know this isn't going to happen based on articles I've read from Fuller.
Starpulse did an article a few days ago about 10 things to improve Heroes. Its author suggested killing Nathan and giving Claire a new BFF. Where's the vomit emoticon? Of course he also thought Sylar should shapeshift into a woman and stay that way, so none of the posters who commented were very impressed. No, the article was not dated April 1. He appeared to have been serious. Wanted Claire and her BFF to have a Thelma and Louise type adventure.
The author of that article is over complicating things. What Heroes needs is what all good shows need--good writing with interesting characters and character arcs coupled with interesting well developed plot arcs--all of which are missing from Heroes right now.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote