Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 21 2010, 11:36 AM   #91
Shaw
Commodore

Re: A Two-Thirds 33 inch Enterprise

Psion wrote: View Post
Is there any chance to see video of part of the creation/forming process?
It is such a slow process that I'm not sure a video would make a good format for showing it. Plus I don't have a video camera (the good pictures are taken with a friend's camera).

I'm considering doing it again (this summer) for the 18" model, so I'll try to figure out a better way of documenting what I do then.

Also, a few months ago, you mentioned having pictures from the delivery day of the 11-footer. Can you share them?
Sure...

It is interesting in that Datin is wearing a black shirt in the images above, and seems to be wearing a black shirt in the 33 inch model delivery images (his arm is the one holding the model in the top set) as well.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2010, 08:07 PM   #92
Albertese
Commodore

Interesting. It just occurred to me that these may be the only pictures I've ever seen of the 11' model in natural sunlight. hmm...

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2010, 10:56 PM   #93
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Thank you, Shaw.

Do you know if these images were photographed at an exhibit? The second, and perhaps the first show what seems to be a reflection of the photographer.

I certainly understand about the difficulty of providing a how-to video for your technique. However, some 3D artists use a timelapse trick to record a build. It's fascinating to watch any detailed, prolonged process this way, and I bet you'd be able to put together a popular YouTube or Vimeo video from five or six frames per second ... there's even software for driving some still cameras via computer this way.

I'm in no way trying to suggest this is the way you should approach your next project -- that's certainly your business. I just marvel at your results and would love to understand how you achieve them.
Old March 21 2010, 11:24 PM   #94
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Using those photos and a few other facts, I managed to track down the location on Google Maps.

Is the weather in that part of the country so nice that these folks are likely to standing around in short sleeved shirts on a late December evening?!
Old March 22 2010, 12:14 AM   #95
Shaw
Commodore

Is the weather in that part of the country so nice that these folks are likely to standing around in short sleeved shirts on a late December evening?!
I grew up in San Diego... Yeah, it is that nice.

Though it should be noted that that December (in 1964) was one of the more rainy months in Southern California, so the fact that it was clear and dry on both the 14th and 29th is pretty amazing.

Do you know if these images were photographed at an exhibit? The second, and perhaps the first show what seems to be a reflection of the photographer.
I believe the second is from the Smithsonian... those three were the highest resolution versions of each I had collected (though I have multiple versions of the first two, I have only one of the last).

I'll put some thought into a video demo like that when I use the technique again this summer.

Last edited by Shaw; March 22 2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: added reply
Old March 22 2010, 01:14 AM   #96
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

It's extraordinary down in San Diego.

It just rained and everyone thinks the world is ending.

By coincidence, my pa has a copy of one of those photos - he got a few Volmer Jensen-related materials when he was working on his hang-gliding documentary film.
Old March 22 2010, 04:44 AM   #97
Wingsley
Commodore

Those photos from '64 sparked some interest here. Check out those old cars!

See how many you an identify...
Old March 22 2010, 06:49 AM   #98
Shaw
Commodore

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
It just rained and everyone thinks the world is ending.
Yeah... there is good reason for it.

If it doesn't rain for months (which is often the case in San Diego), the oils from the cars collect on the roads and freeways. For the first few hours after a rain, the roads won't absorb the water and they become really slippery.

It is pretty scary because even the slightest rain can cause it.

And then my wife wonders why I drive as if there is ice on the ground when it rains here.

By coincidence, my pa has a copy of one of those photos - he got a few Volmer Jensen-related materials when he was working on his hang-gliding documentary film.
That has to be awesome. I only wish they had taken some while they were building it.

Of course, building it in three weeks most likely didn't leave a lot of time for things like taking pictures.
Old March 26 2010, 10:14 PM   #99
publiusr
Commodore

Have you ever thought about drawing the flat saucer 33-incher as the USS Constitution "as built." (First pilot style, with the very flat bottom) above Masao's nice drawing of the Constitution "as proposed."

Enterprise would thus be your first 33-inch attempt as it was modified to stand atop Flint's desk from that episode, since it's bottom is a bit rounder. That would be Enterprise "as built," and Casimiro's drawings to show the rest of the TOS series look. The Constitution "as built" drawing would then evolve to Aridas Sofia's Constitution II or Tikopai class (Phase II) send ups since those designs have that same saucer bottom in some respects...

Vektor's design might be the Enterprise from Killing Time or the Mirror Universe refit (STTMP's refit would be delayed a bit) and Deg 3Ds Enterprise would be how the old girl looked right before its refit in the standard TOS Universe.

This deserves to be included in the Haynes manual compared to the revised timeline JJprise, or perhaps in a newer version of Mr. Scott's guide to the Enterprise. I think bad health and Pocket getting out of the oversized Tech Manual type books put a temporary kibosh on that--but Haynes might be open to including some of these fan designs.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Mr._...the_Enterprise
publiusr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 09:34 AM   #100
Shaw
Commodore

Finally finished off this model, and I'm now researching how to build a one-to-one scale version made of wood that will match the original. In the mean time I have this to look at from across the room.

Old August 27 2010, 12:14 PM   #101
The Axeman
Commodore

A 1-to-1 scale USS Enterprise! You'll be able to move in to it when it's done.
Old August 27 2010, 03:31 PM   #102
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Awesome model
Old August 27 2010, 03:43 PM   #103
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

The Axeman wrote: View Post
A 1-to-1 scale USS Enterprise! You'll be able to move in to it when it's done.
I don't want to come off as humor-challenged, but he meant 1:1 with the 33 inch model. You knew that, right?
Old August 28 2010, 01:27 PM   #104
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Albertese wrote: View Post
Interesting. It just occurred to me that these may be the only pictures I've ever seen of the 11' model in natural sunlight. hmm...

--Alex
It's the white light that reveals the true colour of the ship. The unfortunate aspect is that the white light of the sun may be somewhat distorted by the time of day it was taken. Those long shadows suggest the sun was low on the horizon. Clouds, pollution, et c, may be affecting the colour we see.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2010, 07:42 PM   #105
Mytran
Fleet Captain

This is a truly stunning model.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote