New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 17 2009, 05:12 AM   #31
Shaw
Commodore

Re: A Two-Thirds 33 inch Enterprise

I wanted to discuss an omission (error) from my 33 inch plans... the spine on the back of the primary hull. Part of the reason for this model is to help iron out details from the original model and find mistakes in the first version of my plans. And I'm bringing this part up because I just finished forming that piece even though it's real geometry is absent from my plans (and I'm still not sure how to draw it to convey it correctly).

Building it wasn't especially difficult. What I used was a BIC pen that I cut in half and sanded off to fit the contours of the hull. It is actually at an angle (sloping up as it goes forward), and is flattened out (or squared off) over the impulse engines.

On the pilot version that is all there is to it, but when modified for the series an additional raised line was added along the top (to better match the 11 foot model).

Here are some comparison images of my piece and the original... mine isn't finished yet and is just sitting on the model for these images.

It is interesting to note that in addition to the drilled holes on either edge of the original model's primary hull (which I noted in my plans) for hanging it (which were not drilled directly across from each other), a hole was drilled through it's spine too.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2009, 12:51 PM   #32
Albertese
Commodore

That's very interesting. How does this compare with the 11' model?

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2009, 09:56 AM   #33
Shaw
Commodore

Albertese wrote: View Post
How does this compare with the 11' model?
Well, the best way to describe the difference would be that the 11 foot model's spine is more boxy. This isn't that surprising as it is a removable cover for the primary hull nut and bolt. The best images of that part can be found here and here.

I've been finishing up some aspects of the primary hull and decided this was a good point at which to paint it to see how things are progressing (I haven't painted the underside yet)...

I'm pretty happy with the results, though I'm just happy that I've (for the most part) captured the shape of the model that I've wanted all these years.
Old April 19 2009, 03:36 PM   #34
Albertese
Commodore

^^^
Thanks!

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2009, 02:07 AM   #35
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

This is what I get for missing staff meetings--I had no idea you had released those blueprint reconstructions, Shaw. Beautiful work, both on the blueprints and the model

I think it is generally known that after the series ended it was given to Roddenberry (who displayed it on his desk throughout the 1970s), but was lost after it was loaned to someone in the early 1980s. The person (or persons) didn't return the model and Roddenberry claimed to have forgotten who it was that he loaned it to. It is still missing to this day.
I still say that Gene Jr. has it
Old April 23 2009, 03:36 AM   #36
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

He's been asked. No such luck.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2009, 04:12 AM   #37
Shaw
Commodore

Professor Moriarty wrote: View Post
This is what I get for missing staff meetings--I had no idea you had released those blueprint reconstructions, Shaw. Beautiful work, both on the blueprints and the model
Thanks!

Well, soon I'll have version 2.0 ready... which will include both the pilot and series configurations (rather than just the series version which I did before), so you'll have even better references (better meaning fewer errors ).

I forgot to post this here...

I've glued the nacelle supports to the nacelles. This was always going to be an interesting issue as I had removed the supports and covered up their original connection points on the nacelles themselves, and was going to need to figure out how to re-attach them.

My solution was to cut a paper clip and then bend it into a squared off "U" shape, cut two small holes in the nacelles at the new connection points, and have the ends stick out of the nacelles and into the opening on the supports.

Realizing that the straight wire might be an issue, I created a slight zig-zag in the length of them, and filled the end of the support with glue, put glue around the end of the edge of the support, and put them together (and let them sit for 24 hours). When the glue sets the zig-zag should help improve the anchoring of them (in theory).

Here are the early results...

The starboard nacelle seems to be just about perfect, the back end of the port nacelle is angled up a little. It should be something I can fix, so I'm not overly concerned with it. I think I'll need to have a solution worked out before I attempt to join the dorsal to the secondary hull as I'll want the nacelles and the primary hull to line up nicely. And to do that I'll need to know how the nacelles are going to sit in the final assembled model.

CaptainHawk1 wrote: View Post
BTW: if you have decals that have yellowed (say from that 15 year old Ertl kit you bought off of eBay), put them out in the sun for a couple of days and the yellowing should go away.
I gave this a try today (as I've been practicing putting decals on the Constellation), and it seems to be working. The yellowing seems like it is going away.

Thanks for the tip!
Old April 23 2009, 04:48 AM   #38
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Say, that's a clever way to fix the strut issue. I may have to make use of that on my broken one. Long story short: do not buy cheap display stands.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2009, 06:14 AM   #39
Shaw
Commodore

So far it has worked out as planned, but how it works in the long run is what matters. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on it.

At any rate, I've been making sure that I have all the parts together and that they are fitting the way they should. Here are some images of most of the major elements assembled, including all of the elements around the navigational sensor/deflector.

I used the red nacelle domes because they seemed to show up better when photographed at night (the gold ones work really nice in the day light).
Old April 24 2009, 02:02 AM   #40
Praetor
Vice Admiral

She's looking good, Shaw.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old April 29 2009, 08:08 AM   #41
Shaw
Commodore

Last weekend I put together a demo of how I scratch build things like models and props and I figured I'd add it to this thread as it is the same method I used for building the primary hull of my Enterprise model. For the demo I picked something non-Trek related because I felt it was important to see that this could be done for just about anything. So I chose the command module of a Space: 1999 eagle as the subject (as I know little about it). All told, this demo took about 2 days from beginning to where I stopped (with about two hours of actual work invested).

Resources and Materials

What I'll be using is pretty straight forward...
  • Foam Core Board
  • poster board, card stock
  • brown paper bag, standard paper, (wrapping) tissue paper
  • Elmer's Glue
  • AMACO Sculptamold (cellulose-based paper maché)

Foundation

As stated above, I know little about Space: 1999, so I hit the web to find a reference plan to work from. This isn't aiming for hyper accuracy, so low resolution diagrams were more than enough for what I needed here. I printed them out and then started cutting the top view to the shapes I needed for cutting the foam core board (mostly estimates of the shapes).

Once cut, I started gluing the pieces together to form my foundation.

Basic Shape

With the foundation made I now needed to build up the basic shape, which is what I use the Sculptamold for. You just add water to it until damp and start sculpting. This is non-toxic, so no worries molding it with your hands.

I generally take a few passes at it, letting the first rough application dry a little.

Then filling in the gaps a little more...

And finally ending up with a good general shape that can be sanded and carved to nearly the form I want.

Initial Sanding and Refinement

After letting it set for a little while more, I did some more sanding of the shape. I also added the first elements of card stock within the indentations.

One of my mistakes with the Enterprise primary hull was letting this stuff sit for too long... it gets harder over time, making it harder to sand out imperfections. Best to get that aspect done early (within the first few days).

Because this is mainly water based (both for the Sculptamold and glue) it helps to get the initial form made of foam core board as close to the final shape as possible so that it dries quickly. And it does generally dry quickly... at this point I'm less than 24 hours into this build.

Adding Detailing

I moved along faster on this than I normally would because I knew I was running out of time and this is just a demo of the technique. So between that and the fact that this isn't a shape I am overly familiar with, means I doubt this would measure up to the standard of those who follow Space: 1999.

One of the details that stood out (for me) when looking at images of the command module was the panels. The panels help turn it from an organic shape into one that feels more industrial. So it was that detail that I've started in on.

This is the first few panels, and I'll go back and sand them down to get rid of the raised areas I don't want. After all, the raised outer edges are what I'm after.

... And this is basically what we end up with.

From here I'd give it a couple coats of clear gloss latex enamel (which helps water proof it) and then start painting it. Those are steps which I may or may not do to this model as I think it has generally reached the stage where you guys can see what can be done with this technique.

So, that is it... hope this will be helpful to others.
Old May 7 2009, 09:06 PM   #42
Shaw
Commodore

I did a test painting of the secondary hull to see how well it is coming along... and it seems like it needs less work than I had thought. Here are a few images...

And here is the warts and all version of the progress on the model. These images are obviously much clearer and so you can make out flaws and unfinished sections much easier in them. At the same time you can get a better idea of how things were meant to look (like the nacelle domes) which just didn't show up that well in the other images. And of course the best measure of my progress is to compare it to the shot of the original model that I had wanted all my previous models to look like (but never did).

Even if it turns out to be a mediocre model, in the end it'll still be closer to what I've wanted for decades than any previous attempts.
Old May 8 2009, 03:07 AM   #43
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Lovely, I must say.

Where did you get your nacelle domes?
Old May 8 2009, 04:56 AM   #44
Shaw
Commodore

Thanks!

Praetor wrote: View Post
Where did you get your nacelle domes?
The clear domes were from Don's Lighting & Magic, but inside of them are these sparkly little pom-poms that I found. They make for a nice effect without having to add lighting (which the original model never had).

I plan on adding an extension to the back of the domes to house the pom-poms that will also hold the domes in place without gluing them in. This will let me switch between the red and gold ones on both models.
Old May 8 2009, 01:36 PM   #45
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Beautiful.