Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 26 2009, 01:47 AM   #1351
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

BenRoethig wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
In the death of Star Trek, It is reborn into something different yet fundamentally the same. Which is what this movie is all about, and I cant help but hope the loss of Vulcan will ruin your enjoyment of what is essentially a brilliant movie.
That is the one hang up for me. I don't mind small changes, but this is an awfully big one that changes the dynamic of Star Trek completely.
Agreed, although I'm sure that's exactly the point.

What I'm worried about is how this will change Spock's friendship with Kirk. I know Spock is Vulcan, trained to logic, but will he see Kirk as a failure because Kirk and the Enterprise couldn't save Vulcan? I know it was Nero who actually destroyed the planet, but Kirk could have stopped him - and failed. Will Spock hold a grudge against Kirk? The emotional wallop of having your entire race pretty much wiped out could do that to anyone, even Spock.

Last edited by M'Sharak; April 26 2009 at 02:37 AM.
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 02:22 AM   #1352
GMDreia
Commander

The reboot makes sense to me. Alternate universe means that the current franchise can still exist and spawn stories and/or that the timeline can be righted. If it's true that Old Spock stays in NuTrek universe, then this forms the bridge between the two universes that makes us give a damn in the first place. Just suppose there hadn't been a reboot/alternate universe... OK, we KNOW everything is going to work out predictably, and that everyone is going to be okay... so then why should we even GIVE A DAMN? But it's been established that anything can happen. Nuking Vulcan creates more story potential, IMO. And no, I haven't seen the movie.
Old April 26 2009, 03:59 AM   #1353
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Someone on the TOS board just suggested that JJ should recast T'Pring for a sequel movie.

I made a comment about the hopes of something "unfortunate" happening to her in the new timeline before Spock's Pon Farr, then I realized...

With Vulcan being destroyed, wouldn't it be a SHAME if a certain someone didn't make it off the planet in time? (Throw Stonn in while you're at it, if you like.)
Old April 26 2009, 04:03 AM   #1354
ClayHefner
Commander

"Nuking Vulcan" should become a meme for something.
"You really nuked Vulcan on this one, Mr. Jones. You're fired"
ClayHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 06:42 AM   #1355
Strekrules
Fleet Captain

gastrof wrote: View Post
Could someone who's seen the movie answer a question for me?

I've just watched a few newly released clips linked to in another thread, and wondered about the shuttle launch from the Enterprise.

There didn't seem to be a good look at the shuttle bay; what I saw was a look up at the rear of the Engineering hull, with the bay doors open.

We've wondered about what's being depicted as being in the lower section of the ship now, and I'm wondering if there was a GOOD look at the bay at any point.

If there IS a good look at it, does the shuttle bay appear to be the same size as in previous versions of the 1701? Or at least the same PERCENTAGE of the lower hull? Larger? Smaller?
It's getting fuzzy already (since those scenes FLY by..) but I think it's a different configuration. The shuttles have doors that "hook up" directly to hallways, so you don't have to walk into a big shuttle bay directly. Once you're ready to lift off, the shuttle drops into the main bay and launches.

The Kelvin had about 15-20 shuttles (used to escape the ship...), so the Enterprise no doubt had the same number.

So yes, I would say the shuttlebay looks quite a bit bigger than the Prime E.
Strekrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 06:47 AM   #1356
mynameisgorn
Ensign

Ok, I haven't ventured here before, but I've been forced to. I got the girlfriend on board based solely on the cuteness of baby Spock. But in another thread, there were rumblings that baby Spock didn't make the final cut.

Without baby Spock, there will be hell to pay. Is my relationship over???
mynameisgorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 06:50 AM   #1357
Strekrules
Fleet Captain

fascinoma wrote: View Post
The reboot makes sense to me. Alternate universe means that the current franchise can still exist and spawn stories and/or that the timeline can be righted. If it's true that Old Spock stays in NuTrek universe, then this forms the bridge between the two universes that makes us give a damn in the first place. Just suppose there hadn't been a reboot/alternate universe... OK, we KNOW everything is going to work out predictably, and that everyone is going to be okay... so then why should we even GIVE A DAMN? But it's been established that anything can happen. Nuking Vulcan creates more story potential, IMO. And no, I haven't seen the movie.
I agree. And to quote new Spock "Earth is the only home I have left..."

Also, The Original Star Trek universe is dead. It died with Nemesis. JJ won't be making a TNG film. Ever. So unless CBS makes a direct-to-dvd TNG movie (it's possible...and works for Stargate), or new series based in the TNG-era (or a few years after) I doubt we'll ever see that reality again.

Although I guess that is an ineresting question...if Star Trek (11) takes off, will CBS green light a new series? And if so, when/where would it take place?
Old April 26 2009, 06:51 AM   #1358
Strekrules
Fleet Captain

mynameisgorn wrote: View Post
Ok, I haven't ventured here before, but I've been forced to. I got the girlfriend on board based solely on the cuteness of baby Spock. But in another thread, there were rumblings that baby Spock didn't make the final cut.

Without baby Spock, there will be hell to pay. Is my relationship over???
Hahahaha, You'll have to wait for the DVD.

There's no Baby Spock in the film!
Old April 26 2009, 09:26 AM   #1359
Neopeius
Admiral

Strekrules wrote: View Post
The Original Star Trek universe is dead.
This is untrue. In fact, it is a largely untapped resource, repository of a million untold stories. I don't think anyone can make money off of them or, at least, doesn't have the talent to tell them profitably. That's fine. There's always fan films and fan fiction and Star Fleet Battles and role playing games.

Old Trek lives on its own regardless of any new franchises. NuTrek is something different, neither good nor bad for being new. It will live or die on its own merits.

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 11:33 AM   #1360
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
You know on the Robert April thing. Um considering the promo for The Cage Remastered pretty much says Pike was the Enterprise's first Captain. Not only is he not in the new continuity, but itlooks like the old continuity dumped him as well.
indranee wrote: View Post
yes, he was pretty much fanon and part of some wishful thinking (and sort of a tribute to Gene Roddenberry).
Not entirely. He was a character in the Animated Series and he was in the Chronology; some novels, too, I think, but I'm not sure. None of these are canon, of course, but the character isn't just fanon.

I suppose we can consider the Animated Series another Alternate Universe. I wonder if a fan with an eye for detail can spot the Animated U and the Nu U among the little AUs that pop up in "Parallels."
Old April 26 2009, 02:23 PM   #1361
FarDreaming
Lieutenant

That's a pretty callous comment-- everyone is NOT going to be okay. And some of us do give a damn about killing an entire planet that has played a very important part in the mythos.
Old April 26 2009, 03:34 PM   #1362
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
BenRoethig wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
In the death of Star Trek, It is reborn into something different yet fundamentally the same. Which is what this movie is all about, and I cant help but hope the loss of Vulcan will ruin your enjoyment of what is essentially a brilliant movie.
That is the one hang up for me. I don't mind small changes, but this is an awfully big one that changes the dynamic of Star Trek completely.
Agreed, although I'm sure that's exactly the point.

What I'm worried about is how this will change Spock's friendship with Kirk. I know Spock is Vulcan, trained to logic, but will he see Kirk as a failure because Kirk and the Enterprise couldn't save Vulcan? I know it was Nero who actually destroyed the planet, but Kirk could have stopped him - and failed. Will Spock hold a grudge against Kirk? The emotional wallop of having your entire race pretty much wiped out could do that to anyone, even Spock.
Um from what I've heard Spock was in command of the Enterprise at the time, so under Trek Captain rules he'd be the one that failed.

gastrof wrote: View Post
Someone on the TOS board just suggested that JJ should recast T'Pring for a sequel movie.

I made a comment about the hopes of something "unfortunate" happening to her in the new timeline before Spock's Pon Farr, then I realized...

With Vulcan being destroyed, wouldn't it be a SHAME if a certain someone didn't make it off the planet in time? (Throw Stonn in while you're at it, if you like.)
Plus if Uhura and Spock stay together he's set for Pom Farr.

FarDreaming wrote: View Post
That's a pretty callous comment-- everyone is NOT going to be okay. And some of us do give a damn about killing an entire planet that has played a very important part in the mythos.
A planet that they visited maybe 3 or 4 times, yeah very important planet to the mythos.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 03:40 PM   #1363
indranee
Vice Admiral

apparently, Human women don't fare so well during Pon Farr
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 03:51 PM   #1364
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

FarDreaming wrote: View Post

The fact that you give a damn is the whole point they did it.

Christ, its basic Drama 101. The whole tedium of everything being just nice and left alone is the whole reason Trek died a death in the first place.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 03:53 PM   #1365
indranee
Vice Admiral

^exactly.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote