Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 11 2009, 03:56 AM   #736
Iano
Lieutenant

Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Neftoon wrote: View Post
Pines performance in the kobayashi maru was awesome, karl urban was also good in that seen.
I can already tell that Karl Urban is gonna be one of the best actors in this whole film. From what I've seen, he absolutely NAILED the persona of Dr. McCoy. (Especially in that one shuttle scene.) I think De Kelley would be proud.

I'm already trying to work out when the Blu-Ray is likely to be released.
Agreed! He nails it on several occasions and so do many of the other actors and actresses. I was very impressed on how well the cast resembles the original crew in persona.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 03:58 AM   #737
Neftoon
Lieutenant

Pines performance in the kobayashi maru was awesome, karl urban was also good in that seen.
I can already tell that Karl Urban is gonna be one of the best actors in this whole film. From what I've seen, he absolutely NAILED the persona of Dr. McCoy. (Especially in that one shuttle scene.) I think De Kelley would be proud.

I'm already trying to work out when the Blu-Ray is likely to be released.
Urban is fantastic in the film, in my opinion he had the hardest job of all the actors in replacing de, and he does a fine job.
Old April 11 2009, 03:58 AM   #738
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

As long as they leave it somewhat openended at the conclusion of the film (as to whether Pike can once again assume command), I'm okay with it. Strange as it may sound, I'm not a Pike fanboy, nor do I have anything against Kirk as a character. I guess I'm just too attached to the regular chain of command. The idea of a cadet - any cadet - going straight to a permanent captaincy, of a major ship of the line no less, does not exactly fire me up. If Pike retains command of the ship, but decides to keep Kirk on the crew and eventually - after several years - does give him the job permanently, I can believe that. I hope the film allows for that possibility. (It would be interesting, as I don't believe Kirk and Pike ever actually served together in TOS.) But in the meantime, let Kirk spend some time - no matter how short - as an Ensign, LT JG, Lieutenant, LCDR, and CDR before he makes Captain. Doesn't that make sense?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 04:04 AM   #739
Neftoon
Lieutenant

As long as they leave it somewhat openended at the conclusion of the film (as to whether Pike can once again assume command), I'm okay with it. Strange as it may sound, I'm not a Pike fanboy, nor do I have anything against Kirk as a character. I guess I'm just too attached to the regular chain of command. The idea of a cadet - any cadet - going straight to a permanent captaincy, of a major ship of the line no less, does not exactly fire me up. If Pike retains command of the ship, but decides to keep Kirk on the crew and eventually - after several years - does give him the job permanently, I can believe that. I hope the film allows for that possibility. (It would be interesting, as I don't believe Kirk and Pike ever actually served together in TOS.) But in the meantime, let Kirk spend some time - no matter how short - as an Ensign, LT JG, Lieutenant, LCDR, and CDR before he makes Captain. Doesn't that make sense?
It does and it is open ended in the film so you don't have to worry, going to have lunch and watch property ladder now so have fun everyone.
Old April 11 2009, 05:05 AM   #740
Captain X
Rear Admiral

I'm still curious whether Nero recognized this as an AU or not like apparently old Spock does.
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 05:21 AM   #741
Neftoon
Lieutenant

Captain X wrote: View Post
I'm still curious whether Nero recognized this as an AU or not like apparently old Spock does.
Well nero asks captain robau the stardate, so he knows he's in the past, and they work out it will take approx 25 years for prime spock to show up, so i would say he knows he has changed history.
Old April 11 2009, 05:21 AM   #742
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

So much for Number One, then... Would have been nice to see who they might have tapped to play her.
I would presume Number One would have her own ship by now. Its eight years after when the cage would have happened if Nero wouldn't have wiped out all of trek save Enterprise.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 05:25 AM   #743
Lazerlike42
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Captain X wrote: View Post
Well nero asks captain robau the stardate, so he knows he's in the past, and they work out it will take approx 25 years for prime spock to show up, so i would say he knows he has changed history.
That's true, but the question is really about the fact that this is an alternate universe now. Unlike in 99% of the other Trek time travel excursions wherein the time travelers ended up in a... something akin to the same timeline, simply modified, and so could set things right and return to their original, repaired timeline, in this film, the time travel, for whatever reason, creates a wholly different, disconnected timeline which is, if I am not mistaken, referred to specifically as an alternate universe. There is no resetting things, fixing the timeline, etc. In other words, the Vulcan Nero destroys isn't the one from his own timeline, but a "different," alternate one. Does he know this, or not?
Lazerlike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 05:28 AM   #744
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

What is Nero up to during the 25+ years after his encounter with the Kelvin?
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 05:38 AM   #745
Captain X
Rear Admiral

Probably rubbing his hands together like Mr. Burns.
Old April 11 2009, 05:45 AM   #746
Neftoon
Lieutenant

Kelso wrote: View Post
What is Nero up to during the 25+ years after his encounter with the Kelvin?
Residing in a klingon prison, thanks partly to george kirk's actions, planning the best way to punish spock. Alternate universe wise possibly not all he knew is that older spock would still feel the pain of watching it destroyed without being able to help.
Old April 11 2009, 06:05 AM   #747
Trevacious
Captain

The Enterprise would've been destroyed easily except Nemo halted the attack recognizing the ship name.
What the hell, so he could take a moment to Gloat?
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 06:11 AM   #748
Captain X
Rear Admiral

Like all cliched villains, of course.
Old April 11 2009, 06:15 AM   #749
Neftoon
Lieutenant

Trevacious wrote: View Post
The Enterprise would've been destroyed easily except Nemo halted the attack recognizing the ship name.
What the hell, so he could take a moment to Gloat?
No he knows a) spock is on board and b) there is info he wants from pike.
Old April 11 2009, 06:41 AM   #750
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

BenRoethig wrote: View Post
So much for Number One, then... Would have been nice to see who they might have tapped to play her.
I would presume Number One would have her own ship by now. Its eight years after when the cage would have happened if Nero wouldn't have wiped out all of trek save Enterprise.
Is it ever revealed, in the film, exactly what year it is? Or are we just guessing, based on Kirk's age?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote