Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 3 2009, 02:31 AM   #1531
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Dennis wrote: View Post
Yes, but Cochrane was already established in "Metamorphosis." The fact that he was quite sensibly played by the actor who'd played him in "First Contact" implies nothing about whether any of the time-incursion events in that movie would have taken place - nowhere is it ever suggested that Cochrane spontaneously mutated (or metamorphized, sorry) from being Glen Corbett to being James Cromwell because Picard came back in time from the 24th century. Cochrane existed and invented warp flight either way.

Oh, you were talking about the in-universe history... I thought you were referring to the real-life Trek production history.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 02:55 AM   #1532
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Yes, but Cochrane was already established in "Metamorphosis." The fact that he was quite sensibly played by the actor who'd played him in "First Contact" implies nothing about whether any of the time-incursion events in that movie would have taken place - nowhere is it ever suggested that Cochrane spontaneously mutated (or metamorphized, sorry) from being Glen Corbett to being James Cromwell because Picard came back in time from the 24th century. Cochrane existed and invented warp flight either way.

Oh, you were talking about the in-universe history... I thought you were referring to the real-life Trek production history.
Oh, in terms of production history Enterprise requires everything that was produced before it to have happened.

Whereas Abrams's movie only requires bits and pieces.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 08:26 AM   #1533
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Maybe this has been discussed already, but the thread is 77 pages long. Forgive me if I've missed "a page or two" .

Has anyone who's seen the movie explained HOW Spock knows to travel back in time to set things right?

Does he know ahead of time what Nero has in mind and sort of travel back in time alongside him, or what?

If Nero changed the timeline first, Spock shouldn't have known anything was wrong or needed to be "fixed".

Is this explained in the film?
Old May 3 2009, 10:16 AM   #1534
TGTheodore
Writer

^^^ Yes.

--Ted
Old May 3 2009, 11:50 AM   #1535
Jessop
Lieutenant Commander

gastrof wrote: View Post
Maybe this has been discussed already, but the thread is 77 pages long. Forgive me if I've missed "a page or two" .

Has anyone who's seen the movie explained HOW Spock knows to travel back in time to set things right?

Does he know ahead of time what Nero has in mind and sort of travel back in time alongside him, or what?

If Nero changed the timeline first, Spock shouldn't have known anything was wrong or needed to be "fixed".

Is this explained in the film?
Spock doesn't voluntarily travel back in time, neither does Nero, they are both pulled through the singularity and emerge in the past. So Spock doesn't go back in time to fix things, he just tries to once he realises where he is and how Nero has affected the timeline. Spock knows something is wrong because he and nero are from another timeline, the changes created an alternate universe, they didnt change history in a single timeline.
Jessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 10:02 PM   #1536
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

gastrof wrote: View Post
They haven't because Spock doesn't know and his time-travel is not a conscious choice on his part.
Old May 4 2009, 02:31 AM   #1537
jedarsena
Cadet

I saw the advanced screening here in Oklahoma City Saturday. I had mixed feeling going into the movie, and just sad one's when I left. There was simply no reason to erase all star trek history which is what this movie does. Kill Kirk's dad and Spock's mother, Destroy Vulcan, Spock and Uhura are lovers. Old Spock says "a star went nova and threatened to destroy the galaxy" Give me a brake, that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. Oh no Kirk going from a recruit about to get kicked out of starfleet academey then promoted to the rank of captain of the Enterprise in a mater of hours is even more ridiculous. I don't care if you can be a natural leader, it takes years of experience to learn to be responsible for a ship and all her crew. They do throw jokes in there just for fans. Some are funny, some are very lame.
The starship scene's were too short as well. The trailers and comercials make the battles look long and impressive, but they were short and just kinda average.

Obviously i'm disgruntled after I saw the movie, I feel like they just crapped on us fans. Paramount could have made a movie with all the action and excitement drawing in ticket sales and not destroyed the Star Trek history.
jedarsena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 03:44 AM   #1538
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

jedarsena wrote: View Post
Oh no Kirk going from a recruit about to get kicked out of starfleet academey then promoted to the rank of captain of the Enterprise in a mater of hours is even more ridiculous.
From what I hear, by the time he sets foot on the Enterprise in this film, Kirk has technically graduated from the Academy - with the rank of Lieutenant. Which, I might add, he did in the original timeline as well.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 04:13 AM   #1539
Spinstorm
Ensign

I want to comment on the last guys post on the film.

I agree the battles could have been longer but as for being dissapointed and sad?

Seriously?

I don't understand people who call themselves fans but want to have a future withOUT any films or TV shows... because that is what every guy that says the film is bad or messed up or whatever reason you have for changing cannon says...

Accept a new fun exciting Star Trek and forget cannon... its not real life. Its science-fiction and things change.

We have an amazing new film that I can't wait to see again this week and a bright future for Star Trek so everyone that feels diffrently needs to get over themselves and act like true fans who want success!
Spinstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 05:52 AM   #1540
TGTheodore
Writer

Same here. When it opens publicly, I'm going back to see it again on an even bigger screen than I did at the press screening.

--Ted
Old May 4 2009, 07:36 AM   #1541
SheliakBob
Commander

Spinstorm wrote: View Post

I agree the battles could have been longer but as for being dissapointed and sad?

Seriously?

I don't understand people who call themselves fans but want to have a future withOUT any films or TV shows... because that is what every guy that says the film is bad or messed up or whatever reason you have for changing cannon says...

Accept a new fun exciting Star Trek and forget cannon... its not real life. Its science-fiction and things change.

We have an amazing new film that I can't wait to see again this week and a bright future for Star Trek so everyone that feels diffrently needs to get over themselves and act like true fans who want success!
Um. So. We're not "true" fans if we don't agree with you?
Charming to know. Thank you for clearing that up.
Trek is a huge franchise. There would have been more movies, or series, or whatever if this JJTrek had never existed. I can't understand fans who seem to be convinced that the future of Trek is THIS or NOTHING. Not liking NuTrek is not some kind of "betrayal", it's just an opinion. Lot's of people have them.
Even if this Abomination somehow tanks or eventually sputters out or is wiped off the Earth by an angry God (who really wants a starship in the worst way), there would still be more Trek, of some kind, down the road.

Not all of us are in love with NuTrek or even the IDEA of a NuTrek reboot.
Some of us are looking forward something other than NuTrek, someday.
True or False?
whatever.
SheliakBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 07:45 AM   #1542
Tom Servo
Commodore

SheliakBob wrote: View Post
Spinstorm wrote: View Post

Seriously?

Um. So. We're not "true" fans if we don't agree with you?
Charming to know. Thank you for clearing that up.
Trek is a huge franchise. There would have been more movies, or series, or whatever if this JJTrek had never existed. I can't understand fans who seem to be convinced that the future of Trek is THIS or NOTHING. Not liking NuTrek is not some kind of "betrayal", it's just an opinion. Lot's of people have them.
Even if this Abomination somehow tanks or eventually sputters out or is wiped off the Earth by an angry God (who really wants a starship in the worst way), there would still be more Trek, of some kind, down the road.

Not all of us are in love with NuTrek or even the IDEA of a NuTrek reboot.
Some of us are looking forward something other than NuTrek, someday.
True or False?
whatever.
Its not the fact that some people don't like the new film on its own merits, thats fine, it's those who don't like it because its not THE EXACT SAME as TOS.

Im sorry, but Trek was a dying dinosaur, and this abomination (abomination? Really? TOS was not some shakespearean masterpiece by an means) will give Trek the kick in the ass, and the marketability it so desperately needed.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 09:49 AM   #1543
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

No, thanks. Not when "marketability" means turning something thoughtful, something that at least aspired to SF's "sense of wonder" and "literature of ideas," into a big dumb summer action movie that will attract fanbois and mundanes. Trek has fallen victim to the Hollywood mentality: "People like it, so let's change it." There was no reason for a reboot where known characters die and Vulcan is destroyed other than to pander to the intended adolescent audience-- look, kids, anything can happen now; i.e. more known characters can die and more things can be destroyed. The most creative thing that these guys could up with was Star Trek: The Disaster Movie? No strange new worlds, no new life and new civilizations, no character insights, no theme, no message-- just things blowing up. Lame.
Old May 4 2009, 01:39 PM   #1544
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

jedarsena wrote: View Post
I feel like they just crapped on us fans. Paramount could have made a movie with all the action and excitement drawing in ticket sales and not destroyed the Star Trek history.
You know, yours is the only negative review I've read since seeing the movie myself last Monday. JJ didn't crap on me. I loved every minute, and all the battle scenes were as long as they needed to be.

And if you read "Countdown", IDW's comic tie-in, the 24th century still exists after Nero and Spock were swept into the past.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 02:49 PM   #1545
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

I think Abrams has spelled out his reasons for the alternate universe plotline rather than just a prequel in numerous interviews. The main reason is that the "prequel" would have been tightly constrained by the need to make sure that everything ends up exactly as it was in the Original Series, right down to set design and every single detail.

That's sort of the reason why the Star Wars prequels sucked. You knew Padme was going to die. You knew sulky Anakin was going to turn into Vader. You knew Jar Jar was an irritating walking irrelevance who wouldn't turn up in the other films, but sadly just went into hiding rather than ending up on the right end of a clone trooper's blaster.

Instead, the time travel plotline ensures that they can have everything take place without affecting the "purity" of the "main universe". And I have a TOS Movies Boxset on Blu-ray that somehow hasn't disappeared despite the introduction of the new universe. The new picture means that the Original Series and its movies, among other things, will see a revival of interest. XI is good for the entire franchise.

Basically - this film is far more respectful than it could have been, and I and a lot of other people are just happy to see Star Trek back again.