Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 1 2009, 11:54 PM   #1516
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
That would have to mean that this new universe can't be too different than the other...for if that's so, then Enterprise happened, and if Enterprise happened, then the Borg in FC happened too, which means that the 24th century events that led to the events in FC happened, and so on.
I've thought about this quite a lot too within Star Trek canon logic, and I assume that the Abramsverse routes around this so there's a version of FC taking place in its 24th Century, or something like that anyway.

I agree with Janeway when she said temporal mechanics made her head hurt.
Old May 1 2009, 11:54 PM   #1517
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Kruge wrote: View Post
Kirk hadn't logged a single star hour(whatever that is)
Presumably spaceship duty, as opposed to a desk job.

My problem is that this lacks imagination...if Trek debuted in 1966 and took place in 2266, then why can't TMP take place in 2279, and the missing years in between are simply that...missing! They weren't depicted on screen, but Kirk had further adventures, got promoted to Admiral, got bored pushing papers, and then V'Ger comes along in '79...
I forget what the Chronology says, but I always figured that TMP took place about three years after the 5-year mission-- the figure Decker quotes is 2 1/2 years-- which puts it five years after the end of the series. Then Kirk commands another 5-year mission (per "Thataway"), which would end about two or three years before TWOK and during which he once again steps down from command and becomes a teacher at the Academy.
Old May 2 2009, 01:44 AM   #1518
arch101
Fleet Captain

Anyone know of any advance screenings in the Boston area? I've dug deep and found exactly 0 info.
Old May 2 2009, 02:26 AM   #1519
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
^ Actually we have no idea when Kirk first took command of the Enterprise in the original timeline.
I thought that once they used the 2283 date on the romulan ale in ST2 that it more or less set his first 5 year mission as 2265-69 as Khan was marooned 15 years earlier
No. All that scene showed was Kirk looking at the bottle, reading the date (2283), and McCoy replying that it takes the stuff awhile to ferment. That's *it*. It doesn't say anything about Kirk or his career or when he took command. Only concerned itself with an ale bottle.

It did certainly imply that a fair amount of time had gone by since that bottle was made, but as we would later learn, it's only two years anyway (TWOK takes place in 2285).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 03:09 AM   #1520
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

arch101 wrote: View Post
Anyone know of any advance screenings in the Boston area? I've dug deep and found exactly 0 info.
Nothing I know about, but I've already got tickets to two of the IMAX showings in Reading on Thursday!!
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 03:36 AM   #1521
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There wasn't anything in "Star Trek Enterprise" other than one episode - the one about the Borg ship in Antartica - that required the movie "First Contact" to have taken place.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 05:08 PM   #1522
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
^ I do understand what you've written, but I think they covered the age issue with the implication of the timeframe of TWOK. TMP was supposed to be 2 1/2 years after TOS (or thereabouts), and TWOK was supposed to be 10 years after that, which brings everything up to the right timeframe.

However, TWOK never mentions on screen the time between, so we'll never really know.
I usually just assume that Kirk was 40 in TMP, 50 in TWOK and 60 in TUC.

I don't know if that fits in the timeline... and I don't care.

Dennis wrote:
There wasn't anything in "Star Trek Enterprise" other than one episode - the one about the Borg ship in Antartica - that required the movie "First Contact" to have taken place.

Didn't James Cromwell appear in the premiere as Zefram Cochrane?
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 05:09 PM   #1523
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Dac wrote: View Post
Is Vulcan blown to bits or is it destroyed in a way in which the planet could have been sucked into an alternate universe timeline as Nero and Spock were?

Is it specified what year the main events take place/how old Kirk is? From what i read Spock prime was confused that Kirk was not Captain yet- does that mean the movie is in 2266?
Vulcan is blown to smithereens. Unless someone has mega industrial strength super glue and alot of spare time (not to mention knowing where and when it got sucked to) it aient coming back save for more time travel.

The opening scene takes place in 2233 - This is where Kirk is born. When we see him as an adult he is 25, making it 2258, and he then spends 3 years at the Academy before boarding the Enterprise, meaning the film should take place around 2260 (Give or take a few months).
If the main part of the movie is 2260, why would Spock-prime be confused that Kirk is not the Capt of the E yet? I thought Kirk Prime didnt take over until around 2265 or 2266- so now Nu-Kirk takes over 5 years earlier than Kirk-prime did?
Kirk says something like "How can I get back to the Enterprise if i've been thrown off it!"

To which Spock says "Then you are not commander of the Enterprise?"

Which I assumed meant that because he was on the Enterprise, Spock assumed he was Captain, and the fact that he'd been thrown off it is what threw Spock, not the year.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 05:22 PM   #1524
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Kelso wrote: View Post

Dennis wrote:

Yep, in a recording of the Warp 5 Complex ground breaking ceremony.

Screencap:
http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...kenbow_175.jpg
Old May 2 2009, 07:54 PM   #1525
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

middyseafort wrote: View Post

Dennis wrote:

Screencap:
But that does not require the whole plotline of First Contact of Borgs and the Enterprise D crew to have happened. Just that Zefram Cochrane, a long established character, is played by James Cromwell.

You think he should look like Glenn Corbett? By that reasoning Chris Pine should look like Shatner!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 08:19 PM   #1526
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Donald Draper wrote: View Post

Screencap:
But that does not require the whole plotline of First Contact of Borgs and the Enterprise D crew to have happened. Just that Zefram Cochrane, a long established character, is played by James Cromwell.

You think he should look like Glenn Corbett? By that reasoning Chris Pine should look like Shatner!
Looking at that picture, I just realized that Captain Archer's dad was played by Duck Phillips from Mad Men... funny that the next post was by Donald Draper.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 08:33 PM   #1527
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Ha! Ha! Good catch!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 08:46 PM   #1528
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Donald Draper wrote: View Post

Screencap:

My intent was not to imply that the storyline of First Contact had to have happened. I was answering the direct question of James Cromwell playing Cochrane in "Broken Bow" and providing the screencap. I suppose I should've just quoted the question I was answering and not the whole bit about FC beforehand from Dennis, which hence probably caused the inference.
Old May 2 2009, 09:39 PM   #1529
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dennis wrote:

Yes, but Cochrane was already established in "Metamorphosis." The fact that he was quite sensibly played by the actor who'd played him in "First Contact" implies nothing about whether any of the time-incursion events in that movie would have taken place - nowhere is it ever suggested that Cochrane spontaneously mutated (or metamorphized, sorry) from being Glen Corbett to being James Cromwell because Picard came back in time from the 24th century. Cochrane existed and invented warp flight either way.

By the same token, interestingly enough, the "Mirror Universe" episode of "Star Trek Enterprise" opens with the meeting between Cochrane and the Vulcans as shown at the end of "First Contact" while completely sidestepping the question of whether Mirror-Picard and his mirror crew were involved in any way.

EDIT: Draper beat me to this, and with a great deal less verbosity.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 11:09 PM   #1530
TGTheodore
Writer

REALLY entertaining flick! Loved the in-references and most of the "new" stuff.

Won't go into detail, but I'm giving it ***1/2 out of four. Half off one star because I felt the framing story and villain weren't as strong or interesting as the rest of the flick.

And I'm so glad I AVOIDED SPOILERS for all this time. So much of WHAT happens is great in the film. Knowing about it ahead of time would have drained so much of the enjoyment away.

--Ted

Last edited by TGTheodore; May 3 2009 at 12:24 AM.
TGTheodore is offline   Reply With Quote