Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 6 2009, 08:20 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

my God!! the children!!!

Do any of you have any teenaged kids? I have a 18 year old son and a 14 year old daughter.

My son can not stand star trek. How this could happen? I don't know. But he doesn't. But he does want to see this movie (and yes, Uhura is a big reason..i told you so)

My daughter wants to see it because she has always had a crush on Chris Pine...she could care-a-less about Vulcans or Starships..

Both will go with me Friday to see this movie. If it can when THEM over then...we have something going here.

My five year old son? He is starting to get into the 3 inch figures, and he will go with me on sunday for an early showing.

By the way, if you go to an early showing and there are noisy kids, and you dont like it? TOUCH SHIAT!....you have your self to blame.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 08:23 PM   #2
HamTard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: my God!! the children!!!

My girlfriend bought IMAX tickets for us for my birthday, even though she had no interest in the movie. Then she saw Chris Pine on a TV interview, and is suddenly interested. I guess he's doing his job.
HamTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

My kids are too young to care about Trek. Give it time.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 08:27 PM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
My kids are too young to care about Trek. Give it time.
My son has been into superheros forever.

True story..the first word he ever said? not mommy or daddy..it was SUPERMAN..though it was more like oooerraaaa...but we knew who it was since he had Superman blankets, shirts, diapers...you name it...

Rob
Old May 6 2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Franklin
Rear Admiral

My daughters (6 and 9) will be going with my wife and I. The oldest has a crush on Pine from the Princess Diaries movie. Not that that's her reason for going, but it helped soften her to lobby her on that point. My youngest thinks it's silly to see her dad (a grown man -- notice I did not say mature man) going all agog over this movie. When I took them to see Monsters vs. Aliens, and the Star Trek trailer came up, she said loud enough for folks around her to hear, "Look, Daddy. It's your movie!" I think she's along for the ride just to see what it's all about.
Old May 6 2009, 08:31 PM   #6
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Franklin wrote: View Post
My daughters (6 and 9) will be going with my wife and I. The oldest has a crush on Pine from the Princess Diaries movie. Not that that's her reason for going, but it helped soften her to lobby her on that point. My youngest thinks it's silly to see her dad (a grown man -- notice I did not say mature man) going all agog over this movie. When I took them to see Monsters vs. Aliens, and the Star Trek trailer came up, she said loud enough for folks around her to hear, "Look, Daddy. It's your movie!" I think she's along for the ride just to see what it's all about.
Princess Diary...thats where my daughter got her crush on Pine..we actually met him three years ago in LAKE ARROWHEAD california. This was before he was attached to Trek. Seemed like a nice kid...very humble.

Rob
Old May 6 2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Nimthim
Lieutenant

My 16 YO daughter has never had any interest in scifi at all until she saw the ads for this movie - she decided she had to take me to see it for Mother's Day. I say take any interest you get from them while you can get it.
Nimthim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Lythia
Lieutenant

I have three children but no teenagers quite yet. My oldest is 11 and he's taking me to see the film on Mother's Day. He's really jazzed to see it. We've been watching ST movies all week and he's enjoying the soundtrack, too. He's definitely a scifi geek.

My daughter is 7 and has elected to go to a family picnic on Sunday instead of coming to the movie, with the caveat that if she changes her mind, I'll take her another day. She absolutely hates Star Wars, and doesn't really know anything about Star Trek, yet. Some days I'm convinced she's not related to me. Then again, her favorite non-animated tv show is SG: Atlantis (she's got a major crush on Sheppard), and she's looking forward to SG:U, so... I'll take what I can get. I'm sure she'll eventually think that Kirk or Spock is just as handsome as Col. Sheppard.

The youngest is 3, and thinks everything is a Dalek. He spends lots of time pretending to be Doctor Who, and calls his sister, "my Donna". The day his sonic screwdriver stopped working was a bad day in our house. I'm certain he got the family scifi geek gene, too.
Lythia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 08:41 PM   #9
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Lythia wrote: View Post
I have three children but no teenagers quite yet. My oldest is 11 and he's taking me to see the film on Mother's Day. He's really jazzed to see it. We've been watching ST movies all week and he's enjoying the soundtrack, too. He's definitely a scifi geek.

My daughter is 7 and has elected to go to a family picnic on Sunday instead of coming to the movie, with the caveat that if she changes her mind, I'll take her another day. She absolutely hates Star Wars, and doesn't really know anything about Star Trek, yet. Some days I'm convinced she's not related to me. Then again, her favorite non-animated tv show is SG: Atlantis (she's got a major crush on Sheppard), and she's looking forward to SG:U, so... I'll take what I can get. I'm sure she'll eventually think that Kirk or Spock is just as handsome as Col. Sheppard.

The youngest is 3, and thinks everything is a Dalek. He spends lots of time pretending to be Doctor Who, and calls his sister, "my Donna". The day his sonic screwdriver stopped working was a bad day in our house. I'm certain he got the family scifi geek gene, too.
The day his sonic screwdriver stopped working was a bad day in our house..

That's a funny story!!! My son and I were at TARGET last week and for some reason they had TOS's ARENA on all the TVs. Was pretty cool. Then all of a sudden my son, five years old, yells out..

KICK HIM IN THE BALLS!!!

Yikes...

Rob
Old May 6 2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Kaziarl
Commodore

My daughter is only 11 months old, so not quite ready. But as soon as she is I'll be brainwashing.... er.... I mean teaching her the joys of trek
Old May 6 2009, 08:43 PM   #11
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Kaziarl wrote: View Post
My daughter is only 11 months old, so not quite ready. But as soon as she is I'll be brainwashing.... er.... I mean teaching her the joys of trek
Shhhhh..we'll keep it our secret.

Rob
Old May 6 2009, 08:51 PM   #12
beneldon
Lieutenant Commander

I just got my ticket for tomorrow at 7pm EST. After work a bunch of us are going over to see it.

I asked three of the boys at my church youth group about the movie and one said, "No!" One said, "Yes!" and the third said he wasn't sure...

I also asked a couple of girls who both want to see it but not because of Chris Pine but because they thought the trailers they had seen were cool!

My staughter told me she was going along to see it but she said this with none of the usual contempt I hear in here voice when her cluster does something she has no interest in.

It was at this point that I began to believe this movie will be the one to beat for King of the Summer Blockbusters.

Star Trek will actually be cool again.
beneldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 08:55 PM   #13
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Kaziarl wrote: View Post
Hee. Like me, my daughters have very double-jointed fingers. I had taught both of them the Vulcan salute before either was kindergarten age.
Old May 6 2009, 09:08 PM   #14
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I don't have children, but I have an 18yo brother and a 16yo sister. Both hate Star Trek, and actually can't stand me when I really get into it. However, they seem to have had some changes of heart. My brother wants to see this one, and if it weren't for track and prom, he would be joining me this weekend to see it in Imax. My sister hasn't indicated whether or not she will see it, but she said that the trailers look pretty cool.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 09:16 PM   #15
superdeluxe
Captain

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Do any of you have any teenaged kids? I have a 18 year old son and a 14 year old daughter.

My son can not stand star trek. How this could happen? I don't know. But he doesn't. But he does want to see this movie (and yes, Uhura is a big reason..i told you so)

My daughter wants to see it because she has always had a crush on Chris Pine...she could care-a-less about Vulcans or Starships..

Both will go with me Friday to see this movie. If it can when THEM over then...we have something going here.

My five year old son? He is starting to get into the 3 inch figures, and he will go with me on sunday for an early showing.

By the way, if you go to an early showing and there are noisy kids, and you dont like it? TOUCH SHIAT!....you have your self to blame.

Rob
I think it will win them over, heck it has harold, and the guy from shaun of the dead..and sylar!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote