MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 5 2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Re: S'chn-T' Gaii Spock?

I thought it was Carl.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 11:31 PM   #17
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

I should have known it was from one of the 80s novels due to the overuse of apostrophes in alien names! ( Leave it be Christopher, I've heard your apostrophe defence already...it's my opinion.)

I heard in an old Starlog that at a convention Jane Wyatt said Spock's first name was Harold.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 11:52 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

^There's nothing decade-specific about apostrophes. A couple of fan reference publications from the '80s gave Spock a "first name" that was a string of consonants, something like Xflswrntzglb, though that's not it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 11:59 PM   #19
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

^ Xtmprszntwlfd, of course.
Old April 6 2009, 12:19 AM   #20
Christopher
Writer

^Pronounced "Harold."

Old April 6 2009, 02:21 AM   #21
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

I said to leave it be. I asked you to leave it be. I really didn't think you would, but truthfully, there's a part of me that hoped you would (like an annoying sit-com character that you need tomake the show complete) but I asked you to leave it alone.
Old April 6 2009, 02:40 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

^What? I didn't reopen the apostrophe argument. I simply pointed out that there was another proposed name for Spock in the '80s. I just used the apostrophe thing as a segue. Jeez, if I'd known you weren't joking and were actually that sensitive about it, I would've found a different segue.

Old April 6 2009, 04:19 AM   #23
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

"To pronounce it correctly...I would have to pull out your tongue."
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 08:17 AM   #24
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
A couple of fan reference publications from the '80s gave Spock a "first name" that was a string of consonants, something like Xflswrntzglb, though that's not it.
The name Xtmprszntwlfd, suggested by DC Fontana, IIRC, came from the same ask-the-experts convention panel as the coining of Tiberius, by David Gerrold, for Kirk's middle name starting with T, which he then made a point of adding to the script of "Bem" (TAS). It was at similar panels that Penda Uhura and Walter Sulu were popularised and passed into early "fanon", with approval of Nicholls and Takei.

Hikaru Sulu came from "The Entropy Effort" and was canonised in ST VI. Nyota Uhura came from "ST II Biographies" and was popularised by "Uhura's Song".

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
I said to leave it be. I asked you to leave it be. I really didn't think you would, but truthfully, there's a part of me that hoped you would (like an annoying sit-com character that you need tomake the show complete) but I asked you to leave it alone.
He did leave it be. He avoided discussion of apostrophe names completely, and told a different anecdote.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 10:42 AM   #25
Timo
Admiral

Spock said his first name was unpronounceable in "This Side of Paradise" and Amanda said Sarek's family name was unpronounceable in "Journey to Babel"
That's not quite correct, although some aspects have already been "accuratized" in this thread...

In "This Side of Paradise", the name that could not be pronounced was Spock's "another" name. Whether that would be first or last is unknown - but Spock's response suggests there are indeed just two names. Or then Spock is merely being logical and trying not to contradict the attractive lady when the odds of scoring are otherwise high.

In "Journey to Babel", the name that could not be pronounced was not Sarek's family name, but Amanda's "Vulcan name". The two need not be the same thing. Perhaps Amanda has gained a Vulcan name she is supposed to use instead of Amanda, not in addition to Amanda?

All we know for certain is that "Mrs. Sarek" is an incorrect form of address for Amanda. But it's a two-stage process: first Amanda rejects Kirk's "Mrs. Sarek" by insisting that he say "Amanda" instead, and then she adds that he couldn't pronounce "the Vulcan name". So perhaps the Vulcan name is what should be used instead of "Amanda", and not what should be used instead of "Mrs. Sarek"...?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 01:42 PM   #26
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
A couple of fan reference publications from the '80s gave Spock a "first name" that was a string of consonants, something like Xflswrntzglb, though that's not it.
The name Xtmprszntwlfd, suggested by DC Fontana, IIRC, came from the same ask-the-experts convention panel as the coining of Tiberius, by David Gerrold, for Kirk's middle name starting with T, which he then made a point of adding to the script of "Bem" (TAS). It was at similar panels that Penda Uhura and Walter Sulu were popularised and passed into early "fanon", with approval of Nicholls and Takei.

Hikaru Sulu came from "The Entropy Effort" and was canonised in ST VI. Nyota Uhura came from "ST II Biographies" and was popularised by "Uhura's Song".

He did leave it be. He avoided discussion of apostrophe names completely, and told a different anecdote.
Nah, we had a thread a long time ago where people were talking about Trek novels in the 80s and the stuff we didn't miss from that time. I said I didn't miss the overuse of apostrophes and buddy tried to show me how my opinion was wrong.
In the post where I flipped out on him it was because he specifically said he didn't know what was so 80s about the use of apostrophes.
Old April 6 2009, 05:57 PM   #27
KimM
Rear Admiral

In the Vulcan Soul trilogy it's suggested that the young people can rename themselves particularly after the survival in the desert thing, and I think it was Vulcan Academy Murders that discuss Sarek's naming of Spock and some element of merging family names - which was portrayed as a traditional way of naming children.

The first name issue was that it was considered deeply intimate and a name not given to most acquaintances - only the most cherished of friends.
KimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 06:35 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

In the post where I flipped out on him it was because he specifically said he didn't know what was so 80s about the use of apostrophes.
Which, as I already said and Therin verified, was not at all the point of my post.

Old April 6 2009, 10:20 PM   #29
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Flipped out is correct.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 02:03 AM   #30
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

I was restraining myself too.