TV order vs DVD order

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Extrocomp, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Almost all TV shows are released on DVD in the same order that they were shown on TV. The only exceptions I can think of are Firefly and Star Trek TOS Remastered. Are there any other shows where the DVD order is different from the TV order?

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I'm fairly certain Babylon 5 and the spin-off Crusade had different ordering.

3. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

The Prisoner dvds place the episodes in a fan produced proper chronological order, that varies from original order.

4. Extrocomp

You're wrong, the DVD order is the same as the original broadcast order for both series. I checked Wikipedia to see the broadcast order and Amazon.ca to see the DVD order.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^See the Wikipedia article here.

While the DVDs and the television airings may follow the same order, that order is incorrect and there are some significant continuity errors created by this, such as a temporary protection against the virus being used before it was created and the Apocalypse Box warning Gideon not to trust Galen after Galen had already betrayed Gideon.

6. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are some flat out screw ups on the Dukes of Hazard DVDs. I can't remember now which season it was now, but some episodes that contain the character "Hughie Hogg" are completely out of order as they were originally shown. In fact I don't think they even got them in the right season, let alone the right order within a season.

In the TV run, there was a specific episode that originally introduced the character. But in the DVD sets, they replaced that intro episode with a later episode involving the character. Then much later on in the DVD releases, like in the next season I'm thinking, we get the original intro episode.

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

You paid money for The Dukes of Hazzard on dvd?:guffaw:

8. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

Nope, remasters are in the right order as far as the order that the were originally released when TOS first aired..

9. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I seem to recall reading that the DVDs for the "Batman" animated series are in production order instead of airing order, save for two-parters which I think were occasionally produced out of order but aired together.

10. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

the Futurama dvds.

11. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Really? How interesting... They don't in this country. In fact, every video and DVD release of The Prisoner has always been in the original screening order. Out of interest, what order are your DVDs in?

12. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Yes, but there is no "correct" order for Crusade which manages to eliminate all the discontinuities. There's a JMS-preferred order, but it has more continuity problems than the TV broadcast order.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yes.

I love that show.

14. Extrocomp

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/product-description/B000FOQ03C/sr=8-1/qid=1238891495/

This is the episode arrangement of The Prisoner Region 1 DVD set. It is not in broadcast order. Are your DVDs Region 2? I can't find any place on the internet that shows episode arrangement for The Prisoner UK Region 2 DVDs to confirm that it's different.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Homicide: Life on the Street has been re-arranged into the producer's intended order, which is a damned good thing, because it would be a confusing mess if it was presented in the original order. I don't know how people made it through originally.

It's a shame that the order of the Babylon 5 DVDs hasn't been updated to reflect the Lurker's Guide order. You'd think that Warner Bros. could bother to do at least that. Surprisingly, it's not as glaring as Homicide would be, but it's still a little annoying.

16. Andrew_Kearley

Hmm... What a strange order. "Fan preferred..." I wonder which "fan" pefers it, then. I can sort of see where it's coming from in parts, but even so, it's a bit of a liberty to impose your own order on a general commercial release. The debate over the correct running order for The Prisoner has been raging for over thirty years, since ever I've been a fan of the series. No one's opinion is better than anyone else's. I mean, my own preferred order would certainly echo parts of that DVD order, but would deviate wildly in others. (When I watched my DVDs, I had to chop and change discs a lot to be able to watch it in my preferred order.) So, in answer to your question: yes, the British discs (all three releases) and VHS releases before that, have always stuck to the original screening order:
    Arrival
    The Chimes of Big Ben
    A. B. and C.
    Free For All
    The Schizoid Man
    The General
    Many Happy Returns
    Dance of the Dead
    Checkmate
    Hammer into Anvil
    It's Your Funeral
    A Change of Mind
    Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling
    Living in Harmony
    The Girl Who Was Death
    Once upon a Time
    Fall Out

17. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes sir and I have no problem admitting it. That show brought me a lot of laughs over it's run on TV. Still does from time to time.

18. Andrew_Kearley

Actually, many of the ITC series are not in broadcast order - not that anyone could say for definite what the original broadcast order was, as it tended to vary slightly across the ITV regions.

Space: 1999 - DVDs are in production order.

Same things applies for UFO - so again, DVDs are in production order (bar a couple that are reversed for continuity reasons).

Man in a Suitcase, that's another one that sticks to production order. Makes sense, you get to see the first episode, the one that explains McGill's situation, first - rather than sixth as it originally went out.