Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 20 31.25%
Above Average 29 45.31%
Average 11 17.19%
Below Average 3 4.69%
Poor 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 4 2009, 07:01 PM   #91
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Re: Lost 5x11: "Whatever Happened, Happened"

Anyone else think that it was weird that Alpert said that Ben would no longer be an "innocent?" Seemed like a very purposeful use of the word. Makes me wonder if the Eden theory is true and in a truly mind-fucking moment it turns out the islanders are the original seed for human life on Earth! Ok not really, but I really am curious what exactly Richard Alpert meant by no longer being an innocent. Is there a crazy cow woman on the island with a magic vagina that heals people?
Old April 4 2009, 10:29 PM   #92
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Kate and Sawyer's girlfriend meeting up is the kind of thing we haven't seen much of in Lost. What I mean is the characters usually never realize their connections to others.
True, and they don't usually notice all the little coincidences that keep happening to them, but Jack was starting to notice before he and the others returned to the island.
Old April 4 2009, 10:42 PM   #93
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Mr Light wrote: View Post
My working theory on Penny: Widmore has been running an Off-Island life creating his corporation for decades and Penny was raised in the real world as such. It was only in 1992 when the Purge happened that Ben became the leader of the Others and kicked out Widmore, claiming that Jacob (who only Ben can see) told him that Widmore has to Donkey Wheel the Island safely away from Dharma.
To which a normal person would stare blankly for a moment then respond, "Seriously, Ben, I have no f*cking clue what you're talking about."

"Whatever Happened, Crappened." Probably my least favorite episode of the season. Yeah, it was all totally predictable, but there were a few good bits, like the last few seconds.

Can someone tell me what happened after Locke said hello to Ben? That was the point my kids started screaming.
Old April 5 2009, 12:22 AM   #94
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Can someone tell me what happened after Locke said hello to Ben? That was the point my kids started screaming.
He just said, "Hello Ben. Welcome back to the land of the living." Didn't slit his throat or anything, at least not yet.
Old April 6 2009, 02:33 PM   #95
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

ITL wrote: View Post
gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
ITL wrote: View Post
The show's creators always said that LOST was planned from beginning to end - but in a way that was flexible enough to adapt to new ideas and circumstances along the way without sacrificing the Big Plan.

Kinda neat.

The thing is, for me anyway, I just I don't believe them. I'm kind of an asshole in that if you lie to me once, I'm very skeptical of everything you say from there on out. In their case, the "Oh this is not a sci-fi show, everything can be explained through normal science" bullshit line has made me VERY distrustful of anything they say.

They may very well be telling the truth about having it all planned out, but I find it hard to trust them.
The problem as I see it is that IMO the plan was to initially make us think LOST was a standard - if a bit strange - drama, and over time move into the sci-fi arena. So to the creators, it always was a sci-fi show. But one that kept it's powder dry on that front for a while.

But the fans very quickly ('cos we're clever like that!) sussed out that LOST was indeed a sci-fi show - so what could the creators do when confronted? If they admitted it, then we'd have said "Alrighty then! Give us the big sci and indeed fi! And do it now!". But LOST is a slow-burn concept that needed to take it's time to get round to the juicy sci-fi. So they said "Nope! No sci-fi here!". They had to.

That's my take on it, anyway.
Good rationalizaton. But, in reality, the creators knew in broadstrokes where this series was headed. They knew it was going to incorporate SF concepts. Personally, I think they said it wasn't SF in order to keep the audience. Get them hooked and then when the SF concepts became clear, hope the mainstream audience wouldn't leave in droves.

Mr Awe
Old April 6 2009, 10:43 PM   #96
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

^ In a recent interview, Cuse and Lindelof said that they thought that the show would lose some if it's audience this year because of the scifi/time travel elements, they just didn't know how much of a dropoff they'd see.
Old April 7 2009, 07:20 PM   #97
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^ Ok, so that fits in with my guess then. They wanted to delay (art of the stall, huh?) that dropoff for awhile.

Mr Awe