Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 14 2009, 02:29 AM   #46
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Re: Advance review of SciFi's "Caprica" movie--SPOILERISH

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post

How do we know they didn't age? It seems to me that Cavil's motivations for kidnapping Hera fall apart if his species is not facing extinction by natural causes in short order.
People die from accidents, diseases and stuff all the time. At some point there simply won't be anybody left, even without dying of natural causes.

I'd also like to imagine, that the redstripe centurions went after the 145's after they were set free and wiped them out.
After all, it wasn't the Humans who had enslaved them but Cavil.
The Colonials enslaved the old branch of Centurions, not the new and improved one.
Old April 14 2009, 03:22 AM   #47
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Kelso wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I'm still wondering what it was about the skinjobs that qualified them to be robots in the first place.

The 7 models had synthetic bodies that didn't age- the five were just more advanced.
How do we know they didn't age? It seems to me that Cavil's motivations for kidnapping Hera fall apart if his species is not facing extinction by natural causes in short order.
My guess is that, like sleep, aging is something that the cylons are capable of turning on and off, though perhaps not without effort (it took Cavil at least ten years to figure out how to turn sleep off, after all).

As for Cavil being concerned with extinction, that doesn't necessarily mean that it was going to happen in the foreseeable future. Without resurrection or reproduction, it means that there's no where for the population to go from down. It doesn't matter if cylons are only going to die from accident, illness, or a chance encounter with the Galactica, eventually, they'll all have a moment of bad luck. No matter if one cylon dies every day or one cylon dies every decade, eventually, the population will hit zero.

And we can safely extrapolate that the Cylon population took a bit of a hit in the Civil War. Except for the rebel baseship, every Two, Three, Six, and Eight in all of cylondom was apparently killed or boxed. Now, either it was just the loss of half their fleet in ambushes, or some of Natalie's faction went down with a fight, but Cavil's forces weren't nearly as strong as the Cylon fleet had been before the war. Afterward we never saw more than two baseships together at any given time, though before we'd seen fleets of four and six baseships fairly often.
Old April 14 2009, 03:41 AM   #48
Yoda
Rear Admiral

This review seems to have glossed over one very important point.

Caprica had naked boobies!
Old April 14 2009, 08:15 AM   #49
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

Shouldn't we have a rating/discussion thread already? I know it's not out on DVD yet, but it sounds like a lot of us have already seen the pilot.
Old April 14 2009, 09:44 AM   #50
Yoda
Rear Admiral

RegentWorf wrote: View Post
Shouldn't we have a rating/discussion thread already? I know it's not out on DVD yet, but it sounds like a lot of us have already seen the pilot.
Initiative man!!! I believe in you. If you make the grading thread, they will come!
Old April 16 2009, 02:33 AM   #51
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

Yoda wrote: View Post
RegentWorf wrote: View Post
Initiative man!!! I believe in you. If you make the grading thread, they will come!
My concern with is the fact that it's not "officially" out. I'm not even sure HOW it can be out. I was surprised I was able to watch it. Just seems kinda ... what's the word? ... illegal.