TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 31 2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Advance review of SciFi's "Caprica" movie--SPOILERISH

Man Before The Fall

It's pretty encouraging, but he seemed to think the Zoe actress wasn't all that. Hopefully she'll make strides like Grace Park did. I'm wondering if avatar Zoe is going to be part of the series itself. It is for the most part at this point in Caprican history (as was suspected) that the replicant consciousness is existing in a virtual reality matrix. Daniel's trying to make bodies to "download" them....obviously that tech is either unsuccessful or it gets abandoned/suppressed from public knowledge and the research goes in a different direction. This series is definitely going to deal with how the centurions achieved sentience as opposed to merely being centered on their creation. Zoe is monotheistic. I find that intriguing. I'm not sure the director didn't tell her to play it bratty, because she's supposed to be a bratty kid who's a computer genius who can't see the long term implications. Like daddy like daughter.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old March 31 2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Advance review of SciFi's "Caprica" movie--SPOILERISH

Sounds very interesting to me. I'm looking forward to the DVD release.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 31 2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Me, too. That the downfall of humanity could have been set in motion because of something like a father who couldn't let go of his child--there's something haunting about that. That a group of artificially sentient centurions created in a polytheistic soceity could develop free will and seemingly out of the blue develop a belief in a single god seemed bizarre until you consider this girl's existence. Daniel's daughter being monotheistic, too, puts a spin on everything that's either beyond tragic or indescribably sinister. Did her consciousness still exist after these early attempts to create a functioning humanoid AI were abandoned?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 1 2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Joe Adama is crooked? Excellent.

I was afraid they would skip over that little detail from BSG.
Old April 1 2009, 12:16 AM   #5
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Actually, I've always gotten the impression that the Joe Adama stuff from the end of the third season was actually meant to tie into the then-new Caprica pilot script.
Old April 1 2009, 01:05 AM   #6
Harvey
Admiral

^^Ronald D. Moore indicated as much in the podcasts to those episodes, especially The Son Also Rises.

Old April 1 2009, 01:15 AM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Me, too. That the downfall of humanity could have been set in motion because of something like a father who couldn't let go of his child--there's something haunting about that. That a group of artificially sentient centurions created in a polytheistic soceity could develop free will and seemingly out of the blue develop a belief in a single god seemed bizarre until you consider this girl's existence. Daniel's daughter being monotheistic, too, puts a spin on everything that's either beyond tragic or indescribably sinister. Did her consciousness still exist after these early attempts to create a functioning humanoid AI were abandoned?
All that is vastly more interesting than "the Cylons attacked because Cavil is nuts." Doesn't sound like BSG is going to be reconcilable with Caprica, but at this point I really don't care. I'm happy to jettison BSG's awkward backstory in favor of Caprica's.
Old April 1 2009, 01:27 AM   #8
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
^^Ronald D. Moore indicated as much in the podcasts to those episodes, especially The Son Also Rises.
That explains where I got the idea from.

ETA: I'm not being facetious. I honestly couldn't remember where I heard that, or even whether or not I'd just intuited it based on spoilers as the episodes and the early previews came out.

Last edited by David cgc; April 1 2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old April 1 2009, 01:37 AM   #9
Harvey
Admiral

Here's the relevant text, courtesy of Battlestar Wiki (just for giggles).

Ronald D. Moore wrote:
...this whole little backstory about the grandfather- I mean, there's a lot of references to Lee's grandfather and the law, and what kind of lawyer he was, and so on. And a lot of that is influence by the work that David, and I, and Remi Aubuchon did on the Caprica pilot.
Ronald D. Moore wrote:
...Adama, and Joseph's role as a lawyer, and what he did for a living, and the very mixed record he have as a man who was- defending mobsters and then eventually becoming someone who defended civil liberties, was an interesting journey for the character to begin with. And a lot of this is influenced by that. It's not really setting up Caprica, per se. It's not really setting anything up. It's just interesting backstory. But all those discussions added texture and context in who Lee was and why Lee might be attracted to the law. The more we knew about Joseph, and the more we had developed Joseph Adama as a character for the Caprica pilot, the more we understood why Lee might be attracted to that. And why there might be conflict with his own father, in terms of what William Adama's relationship was with his own father, his own father wasn't- it's always been an interesting thing in the show that Adama does not come from the family of soldiers. That he's not part of a long line of sol- "The Adama's have always been in the military," kind of a thing. That he's the son of a civil liberties attorney, I thought, was always a fascinating thing. That on the one hand, a lot of Adama's belief system and a lot of his values are drawn from his father, in terms of his passionate belief in the civil rights and the civil liberties and his believe in a republic, and what it meant to wear the uniform, and he's very much an idealist in that- sense. But then also he had a real falling out with his own father and that he had real problems with who his father was and what his father did for a living, how he made money, and that his father wasn't just a one note, high minded idealist. That his father also represented guys that were really shitty, and scummy, and did lots of terrible, awful things. And his father helped get them off. And then later started to take up this mantle of the civil liberties. And so- and where does that leave Lee Adama? And Lee's relationship to a man that he knows as his grandfather and that he's drawn to the law books, and he's also drawn to the uniform at the same time. And that's where we settled on who Lee is and what he's all about.

Old April 1 2009, 02:06 AM   #10
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Doesn't sound like BSG is going to be reconcilable with Caprica, but at this point I really don't care. I'm happy to jettison BSG's awkward backstory in favor of Caprica's.

Thus far, everything we know about Caprica fits into BSG's backstory.
Old April 1 2009, 03:24 AM   #11
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Indeed. And it seems to provide the missing piece: why did the centurions want so badly to be haman, anyway?
Old April 1 2009, 03:42 AM   #12
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Oh, that'd be hellish, wouldn't it? If their base programming contained memories of what it was like to be a human (or, considering that Zoe doesn't seem to be the only person with a virtual avatar, possibly several humans), if they had that taste of it, all the sensations that a centurion body probably wasn't designed to come anywhere close to emulating... I can understand how they could hate and envy humans all at once.
Old April 1 2009, 04:32 AM   #13
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

That podcast also explains why Bill reacted so bitterly towards Lee when he chose to defend Baltar. At the time I attributed it to Bill being a nasty, mean drunk, but his over the top reaction and him calling Lee a coward makes more sense if it was memories of his own father defending mobsters that was really eating at Bill.

I agree, I think Caprica will be extremely reconcilable with BSG's back story. The final five didn't show up until the end of the first cylon war to offer them resurrection so the centurions would end hostilities. Razor bears out that the cylons just suddenly left. Nothing else is really that clearly established. I think that the other avatars are teens acquainted with Zoe. She's the computer engineering genius like her father. She's monotheistic. Does the centurions' desire for freedom all stem from her replicated consciousness? From a desire to be alive again? Maybe that's why the first Six we lay eyes on in the mini asks, "Are you alive?"

There's a bit of classic tragedy to the whole idea, but it intrigues. One teenager experimenting with her computer, she could never have possibly imagined that it would lead to the demise of her civilization.

Old April 1 2009, 06:46 AM   #14
Gatekeeper
Commodore

I've always known teenagers were the bane of civilization — this just proves it!

Gatekeeper
Old April 1 2009, 06:50 AM   #15
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I was waiting for someone to crack that joke. Talk about the consequences of not monitoring your child's computer usage. That was one baaaaaaaad chat room Zoe was frequenting.