RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,564
Posts: 5,514,187
Members: 25,147
Currently online: 404
Newest member: Wolfspaw

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 2 2009, 10:28 AM   #46
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Praetor wrote: View Post
But don't you think if Picard just ordered 'tea' the replicator would ask him to be more specific? I think the qualifiers are necessary whatever country you're from, and it therefore removes the 'regional' aspect from the whole argument.
I don't think so. At least an intelligent design should be able to adapt to a user's preferences.

I think it is safe to assume that using biometrics the computer could figure out who was in front of the replicator. I'm also pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to set up your preference so that when you say "tea" you get exactly what you want.

In my opinion the only time you should need to be specific would be when A) you want a different variety of tea than you usually get, or B) you are ordering an item for the first time.

I know if I was on the Enterprise I would have it setup so that when I said "coffee" I would automatically get a Venti Starbucks Sumatra. If I wanted a latte I would say so.
__________________
Savage Dragon. Accept no substitutes.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2009, 10:19 PM   #47
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

That's a good point, Seeker. I guess it just depends how complex the replicators 'really' were designed to be.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 11:49 PM   #48
Commander Rabbit
Commander
 
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Cakes488 wrote: View Post
True Trek Fan wrote: View Post
I think Tea. Earl Grey. Hot is a very Americans thing to say. Everyone in the rest of the world when ordering tea knows it is severed hot, Americans presume it is cold and have to specify if they want it hot. Kinda strange as the rest of the tea drinking world always serves tea hot. Living in Canada I always find it amusing when an American orders tea in a restaurant, as a former waiter I enjoyed the look on our southern neighbours faces when I brought them the tea as they were always shocked it is served hot. Here as in England and much of the world if you want an Iced Tea you have to specifically order it in that way. So for myself whenever I hear Picard using the catch phrase, I assume only an American writer could have come up with something like that.
Same thing in America. I've never ever heard of anybody ordering TEA and someone getting confused that it's not supposed to be hot. I waitressed years ago and when someone asked for tea I never said would you like that tea hot or cold? When we want cold tea we say iced-tea. We always say iced-tea on this side on the pond...always! The only thing we may ask about the ice tea is if it's sweetened or not. Can I get an Amen from my fellow Americans on this very very important issue.
AMEN! :-)

What really threw me when I moved a few states south of where I grew up was hearing "half and half" in a context that clearly was not dairy-related. "Half and half" here is half iced tea, half lemonade.
Commander Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 02:43 AM   #49
The_Beef
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
The real world reason is because Star Trek is an American TV series, and Picard has to specify that he wants the tea hot.
The thing is though that he's not just saying "Tea, hot," which would be a very vague statement. In my experience though, and this is speaking as an American who frequently drinks iced tea, Earl Grey is very rarely consumed cold. I don't believe I've ever encountered it chilled. Now, that doesn't mean you can't do it, but I can say right now that if I walked into a place that served both iced tea and hot tea and I ordered Earl Grey, it would come out hot.

As far as the iced or sweet tea issue, I would have to say from personal experience that, were I to walk into an average restaurant here in the south (SC resident), the immediate assumption on the part of the waiter, assuming it isn't a cafe that normally sells hot beverages, would be that when I say "tea", I'm referring to iced tea. In fact, while many may specify "iced tea" when ordering, I have seen many cases where people simply order "tea" and get what they want. A much bigger issue is whether or not it is sweetened, which is why you often hear "sweet tea" being used when ordering to differentiate it from unsweet. Whether or not it is iced is already a foregone conclusion. Now, I am very fond of hot teas and do often drink them at home. In my experience you simply don't encounter them often in most restaurants unless, as already mentioned, you're in some kind of cafe. In that setting you normally refer to the specific type of tea when ordering, of course, which brings me back around to my first point: "tea" can be interpreted as either iced or hot, but "Earl Grey" or "Chamomile", at least in the American Southeast, is normally always interpreted as hot. As long as you're operating under all these conventions of what "tea" means based on the situation, you're fine.

And, by the way, the reason why we assume tea is iced down here is pretty simple: it's hot. Really hot. It might not be as big of an issue in the present day, but before central heating and air conditioning, we were all much more subject to our environments. It seems to have left its mark in the types of food and drinks we prefer.

As for half-and-half, I've heard of that before but under a different name, although I can't remember what it was at the moment. I seem to remember hearing that it was popular in the SC lowcountry. From the name it kind of reminds me of my grandparents' tea (iced, of course). Although I don't think they actually used lemonade, they always used a large amount of lemon.

Last edited by The_Beef; April 4 2009 at 02:58 AM.
The_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 02:56 AM   #50
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

It's only four words. Maybe Picard just didn't want to appear lazy.
__________________
Currently Reading: The Martian by Andy Weir
Currently Watching: The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, NCIS:NO, Law & Order: SVU, Stalker, American Horror Story, and Bones
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 07:30 AM   #51
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

davidant32 wrote: View Post
The best place to get sweet tea in the US is at Chicken Express, a fastfood chain where it's brewed fresh every day and can be purchased by the gallon.
Chicken Express??? No the best sweet tea is served here in San Antonio, by Bill Miller Bar-B-Q. It can, and frequently is, bought by the gallon. It is the most perfect sweet tea I have ever tasted. In fact, I've yet to meet a San Antonian who doesn't like Bill Miller tea. Even people who don't like the food at Bill Miller like the tea.
__________________
You have gone too far. You have married Fester, you have destroyed his spirit, you have taken him from us. All that I could forgive. But Debbie...
What?
...pastels?
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 06:46 PM   #52
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Or, you could just make your own and sweeten to taste.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 08:53 PM   #53
Dr. M'benga
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Alabama, USA, Earth, Sol, AQ, Milky Way
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Vanyel wrote: View Post
davidant32 wrote: View Post
The best place to get sweet tea in the US is at Chicken Express, a fastfood chain where it's brewed fresh every day and can be purchased by the gallon.
Chicken Express??? No the best sweet tea is served here in San Antonio, by Bill Miller Bar-B-Q. It can, and frequently is, bought by the gallon. It is the most perfect sweet tea I have ever tasted. In fact, I've yet to meet a San Antonian who doesn't like Bill Miller tea. Even people who don't like the food at Bill Miller like the tea.
No, the best place to get sweet tea is at my grandmother's. Our by-the-gallon-producing restaurant in Alabama is Milo's of Birmingham. Although I've had better, it is convenient for gatherings.

Obviously I am from the South. We were baffled (and amused) by anyone who used the phrase "iced tea". How else could it be consumed? And unsweetened iced tea is beyond my comprehension. It's just slightly bitter brown water. What's the point? As the saying goes, "I'd like some tea in my sugar."

I didn't even know tea was served hot (or even that there was more than one flavor) until I was in grade school. And that was only by watching British characters drink it hot on TV. And I couldn't understand how one could just sip it. The tea I knew begged to be chugged now and then.

I don't drink much coffee or hot tea even as a middle-aged man and I reserve it for winter. It's too darn hot down here in summer to raise my core temperature even higher - especially in mid-afternoon!

Oh yes: Picard. Any preset he could come up with would take longer to say. "Picard Tea Number Four" saves no effort. May as well make it efficient and clear.
__________________
Saving Vulcans' hides since before you were an itch in your daddy's pants.
Dr. M'benga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 08:58 PM   #54
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Dr. M'benga wrote: View Post
No, the best place to get sweet tea is at my grandmother's. Our by-the-gallon-producing restaurant in Alabama is Milo's of Birmingham. Although I've had better, it is convenient for gatherings.

Obviously I am from the South. We were baffled (and amused) by anyone who used the phrase "iced tea". How else could it be consumed? And unsweetened iced tea is beyond my comprehension. It's just slightly bitter brown water. What's the point? As the saying goes, "I'd like some tea in my sugar."

I didn't even know tea was served hot (or even that there was more than one flavor) until I was in grade school. And that was only by watching British characters drink it hot on TV. And I couldn't understand how one could just sip it. The tea I knew begged to be chugged now and then.

I don't drink much coffee or hot tea even as a middle-aged man and I reserve it for winter. It's too darn hot down here in summer to raise my core temperature even higher - especially in mid-afternoon!
I may not be from quite as far south as you are (North Carolina vs. Alabama), but I was aware of hot tea for as long as I've been aware of iced tea. I often drank and still do drink hot tea in the morning (usually with just some sugar added), but I also drink iced tea at all times of day.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 04:23 AM   #55
USS Renegade
Lieutenant Commander
 
USS Renegade's Avatar
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Send a message via Yahoo to USS Renegade
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Triskelion wrote: View Post
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
El Chupacabra wrote: View Post
People don't always drink their drinks the same way everytime.
Right, so only then would they need to specify. In my opinion it's kinda like going to a coffee shop where the staff know you and get your coffee without asking. It's only when you want something different that you need to tell them.

Just my two cents.
Yeah, I hate that though, being anticipated by servers announcing your order as soon as you walk in. It feels like they can't be bothered to wait for a regular customer to think about his order.
You are in the minority, it makes most people feel special.
__________________
U.S.S. Renegade NCC-63102
USS Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 05:03 AM   #56
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: House by the Lake, NC
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Cakes488 wrote: View Post
True Trek Fan wrote: View Post
I think Tea. Earl Grey. Hot is a very Americans thing to say. Everyone in the rest of the world when ordering tea knows it is severed hot, Americans presume it is cold and have to specify if they want it hot. Kinda strange as the rest of the tea drinking world always serves tea hot. Living in Canada I always find it amusing when an American orders tea in a restaurant, as a former waiter I enjoyed the look on our southern neighbours faces when I brought them the tea as they were always shocked it is served hot. Here as in England and much of the world if you want an Iced Tea you have to specifically order it in that way. So for myself whenever I hear Picard using the catch phrase, I assume only an American writer could have come up with something like that.
Same thing in America. I've never ever heard of anybody ordering TEA and someone getting confused that it's not supposed to be hot. I waitressed years ago and when someone asked for tea I never said would you like that tea hot or cold? When we want cold tea we say iced-tea. We always say iced-tea on this side on the pond...always! The only thing we may ask about the ice tea is if it's sweetened or not. Can I get an Amen from my fellow Americans on this very very important issue.
AMEN!! This is typical of anti-American thinking. Please do not look down upon Americans because we are intelligent enough to SPECIFY either iced-tea or hot-tea. What normal person wants HOT tea on a HOT day anyway?!

We Americans also know that variety IS the spice of life! Therefore, one day we may wish to have a mocha latte and the next day an espresso. I just checked my dining room buffet and I counted 7 (yes, seven!) different types/flavors of tea: Earl Grey, Moroccan, Spring Mint green tea and others. I also currently have 3 flavors of coffee: French Roast, Espresso and Pumpkin Spice.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 05:06 AM   #57
LaBarre
Commander
 
LaBarre's Avatar
 
Location: Earth
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Cakes488 wrote: View Post
True Trek Fan wrote: View Post
I think Tea. Earl Grey. Hot is a very Americans thing to say. Everyone in the rest of the world when ordering tea knows it is severed hot, Americans presume it is cold and have to specify if they want it hot. Kinda strange as the rest of the tea drinking world always serves tea hot. Living in Canada I always find it amusing when an American orders tea in a restaurant, as a former waiter I enjoyed the look on our southern neighbours faces when I brought them the tea as they were always shocked it is served hot. Here as in England and much of the world if you want an Iced Tea you have to specifically order it in that way. So for myself whenever I hear Picard using the catch phrase, I assume only an American writer could have come up with something like that.
Same thing in America. I've never ever heard of anybody ordering TEA and someone getting confused that it's not supposed to be hot. I waitressed years ago and when someone asked for tea I never said would you like that tea hot or cold? When we want cold tea we say iced-tea. We always say iced-tea on this side on the pond...always! The only thing we may ask about the ice tea is if it's sweetened or not. Can I get an Amen from my fellow Americans on this very very important issue.
AMEN!! This is typical of anti-American thinking. Please do not look down upon Americans because we are intelligent enough to SPECIFY either iced-tea or hot-tea. What normal person wants HOT tea on a HOT day anyway?!
Sophisticated tea drinkers, that's who - American or otherwise.
LaBarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 05:16 AM   #58
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: House by the Lake, NC
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

LaBarre wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Cakes488 wrote: View Post

Same thing in America. I've never ever heard of anybody ordering TEA and someone getting confused that it's not supposed to be hot. I waitressed years ago and when someone asked for tea I never said would you like that tea hot or cold? When we want cold tea we say iced-tea. We always say iced-tea on this side on the pond...always! The only thing we may ask about the ice tea is if it's sweetened or not. Can I get an Amen from my fellow Americans on this very very important issue.
AMEN!! This is typical of anti-American thinking. Please do not look down upon Americans because we are intelligent enough to SPECIFY either iced-tea or hot-tea. What normal person wants HOT tea on a HOT day anyway?!
Sophisticated tea drinkers, that's who - American or otherwise.
Sophisticated is what a pretentious person calls himself. It usually denotes the insecurity of the user rather than lack of sophistication of the intended victim.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 05:40 AM   #59
LaBarre
Commander
 
LaBarre's Avatar
 
Location: Earth
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Or herself, as the case may be.
LaBarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 06:58 AM   #60
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Did Picard really need to say it?

Cakes488 wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
If I want iced tea, I say sweet tea.
But hot tea can also be sweet....oh the tangled web we weave!
When first we brew that little leaf!


When I order in a restaurant, I order "Tea, hot please" or "Tea, iced please".


J.
__________________

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
earl grey, replicator, trek technology

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.