RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,113
Posts: 5,400,617
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 461
Newest member: Ohwowmelody

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 29 2009, 09:21 PM   #1
ToddKent
Captain
 
ToddKent's Avatar
 
Location: Dallas, TX
View ToddKent's Twitter Profile
Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

Sorry if this has been covered before but I was wondering about this the other day.

Did the actor just decide to move on or did the producers decide to write the character out of the show? Anybody know?
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Eddie Roth
Commodore
 
Eddie Roth's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

If memory serves, he wanted to leave because he could not free up enough time to make movies while feeling that he was underutilized on the show. A good decision, IMO. The writers had really toned down Wesley's prominence starting in Season 3, probably because he had proven unpopular. With a reduced cast of seven, I felt the remaining characters got more attention later on... and Wesley's appearances after his departure were altogether his best (The First Duty, Parallels, Journey's End).
__________________
"If your level of [...] fandom is such that it doesn't allow you to enjoy this film, then your level of fandom isn't doing you or "Star Trek" any good."
- Steve Penhollow, The Journal Gazette
Eddie Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 02:30 AM   #3
miraclefan
Commodore
 
miraclefan's Avatar
 
Location: The F U state of TEXAS!
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

^I always thought (no joke) He left ''because'' he had too much screen time!
__________________
THEY WERE THE POLICE...JUDGE...JURY...& EXECUTIONER ALL IN ONE.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Eddie Roth
Commodore
 
Eddie Roth's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

I have never heard of an actor leaving a show because he had too MUCH to do.
__________________
"If your level of [...] fandom is such that it doesn't allow you to enjoy this film, then your level of fandom isn't doing you or "Star Trek" any good."
- Steve Penhollow, The Journal Gazette
Eddie Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 01:12 PM   #5
MrPointy
Commander
 
MrPointy's Avatar
 
Location: Darwin, NT
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

Hwil Hwheaton left because no one wanted to write for him.
__________________
“If like the leaf of the wisteria through which the sun darts his rays transparently you give your heart to me, I will no longer distrust you.” -- Lieutenant Worf
MrPointy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
SomniumRabidum
Lieutenant Commander
 
SomniumRabidum's Avatar
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

MrPointy wrote: View Post
Hwil Hwheaton left because no one wanted to write for him.
Why are you saying it like that?!

Say Wheat.....

Now say Wil Wheaton.....



Seriously though, his character annoyed the crap out of me... the less Wesley Crusher the better imo. Apparently Wheaton couldn't stand Crusher either.
SomniumRabidum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Tomalak
Vice Admiral
 
Tomalak's Avatar
 
Location: Liverpool
View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

SomniumRabidum wrote: View Post
Seriously though, his character annoyed the crap out of me... the less Wesley Crusher the better imo. Apparently Wheaton couldn't stand Crusher either.
It must have been terrible for him banking all those cheques. My heart bleeds for him!
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 05:07 PM   #8
ToddKent
Captain
 
ToddKent's Avatar
 
Location: Dallas, TX
View ToddKent's Twitter Profile
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

Eddie Roth wrote: View Post
I have never heard of an actor leaving a show because he had too MUCH to do.
I think a few actors said they left the show ER because of something like this. But I kind of agree with Tomalak...it just seems like a bad idea to leave a hit show, especially when you are featured prominently. But who knows?
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 05:26 PM   #9
Ro_Laren
Commodore
 
Ro_Laren's Avatar
 
Location: The Badlands
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

I always thought that Hwil Hwheaton left because of the quality of his lines and not the quantity...
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

From Wheaton's blog:

Here's the absolute truth why I left Star Trek. I left Star Trek because it was seriously interfering with my career in feature films. I was in a situation where I was constantly having to pass on really good movie roles because I was on the series. I had a film career before Star Trek. People knew me before Star Trek. As a matter of fact, at Comic Con, a lot of people came up to me and said, "I started watching Star Trek because you were on it and I was fan of yours from Stand By Me and I stopped watching it after you left." I had a lot of people say that to me.

After something like this had happened a lot of times, this was finally the last straw: I had been cast by Milos Foreman to be in Valmont. I had gone through lots and lots of callbacks, I had met Milos personally a number of times and he was really supporting me and telling me, "I want you in my movie." I was going to go to Paris and I was going to be in this movie and stuff and what happened was we were going to shoot it during the hiatus and the shooting schedule for Valmont would have carried me over about a week into the regular season schedule into Star Trek. I would have had to sit out the first episode of the year, right. That's not a big deal, it's not like I'm the fuckin' Captain, you know. At that point, I was the guy who pushed buttons and said, "Yes, sir!" So, I said to the people on Star Trek, "I need to be written out of this particular episode, because I'm going to do this movie and my film career's going to take off." This is after Gene Roddenberry had died. Had Gene been alive, it would have been no problem at all, because Gene was that kind of guy. Gene would have said, "Great! Go ahead, you do what you need to do," because he was that kind of person. After Gene died, a very different type of person took over and they said, "We can't write you out because the first episode of the season is all about you. It focuses entirely on your character and it's your story..." So, he said to me, "The story is entirely about you, we can't write you out." I said, "Well, this really sucks, but I'm under contract to you guys and if that's your call and if that's what you say I have to do, I have to do." I had to pass on the movie.

A couple of days before the season was ready to premiere, they wrote me out of the episode entirely. What they were doing was they were sending me a message. The message was, "We own you. Don't you ever try to do anything without us." That was the last straw for me. I called my agents and said, "They don't own me. It's time for me to leave this show, it's time for me to be gone." That's what really pushed me over the edge. It's not worth it anymore. That's why I left.
LINK

So it boils down to: He left because Berman was -surprise, surprise- a dick head.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 08:56 PM   #11
miraclefan
Commodore
 
miraclefan's Avatar
 
Location: The F U state of TEXAS!
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

^Well then that's understandable, Berman was & still is a DICK-HEAD!
__________________
THEY WERE THE POLICE...JUDGE...JURY...& EXECUTIONER ALL IN ONE.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

SomniumRabidum wrote: View Post
MrPointy wrote: View Post
Hwil Hwheaton left because no one wanted to write for him.
Why are you saying it like that?!

Say Wheat.....
Wheat.
Now say Wil Wheaton.....
Hwil Hwheaton....

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
From Wheaton's blog:

Here's the absolute truth why I left Star Trek. I left Star Trek because it was seriously interfering with my career in feature films. I was in a situation where I was constantly having to pass on really good movie roles because I was on the series. I had a film career before Star Trek. People knew me before Star Trek. As a matter of fact, at Comic Con, a lot of people came up to me and said, "I started watching Star Trek because you were on it and I was fan of yours from Stand By Me and I stopped watching it after you left." I had a lot of people say that to me.

After something like this had happened a lot of times, this was finally the last straw: I had been cast by Milos Foreman to be in Valmont. I had gone through lots and lots of callbacks, I had met Milos personally a number of times and he was really supporting me and telling me, "I want you in my movie." I was going to go to Paris and I was going to be in this movie and stuff and what happened was we were going to shoot it during the hiatus and the shooting schedule for Valmont would have carried me over about a week into the regular season schedule into Star Trek. I would have had to sit out the first episode of the year, right. That's not a big deal, it's not like I'm the fuckin' Captain, you know. At that point, I was the guy who pushed buttons and said, "Yes, sir!" So, I said to the people on Star Trek, "I need to be written out of this particular episode, because I'm going to do this movie and my film career's going to take off." This is after Gene Roddenberry had died. Had Gene been alive, it would have been no problem at all, because Gene was that kind of guy. Gene would have said, "Great! Go ahead, you do what you need to do," because he was that kind of person. After Gene died, a very different type of person took over and they said, "We can't write you out because the first episode of the season is all about you. It focuses entirely on your character and it's your story..." So, he said to me, "The story is entirely about you, we can't write you out." I said, "Well, this really sucks, but I'm under contract to you guys and if that's your call and if that's what you say I have to do, I have to do." I had to pass on the movie.

A couple of days before the season was ready to premiere, they wrote me out of the episode entirely. What they were doing was they were sending me a message. The message was, "We own you. Don't you ever try to do anything without us." That was the last straw for me. I called my agents and said, "They don't own me. It's time for me to leave this show, it's time for me to be gone." That's what really pushed me over the edge. It's not worth it anymore. That's why I left.
LINK

So it boils down to: He left because Berman was -surprise, surprise- a dick head.
And that's the story of how Wil Wheaton became a huge movie star.

Oh wait.
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

Yoda wrote: View Post
SomniumRabidum wrote: View Post
MrPointy wrote: View Post
Hwil Hwheaton left because no one wanted to write for him.
Why are you saying it like that?!

Say Wheat.....
Wheat.

Hwil Hwheaton....

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
From Wheaton's blog:

Here's the absolute truth why I left Star Trek. I left Star Trek because it was seriously interfering with my career in feature films. I was in a situation where I was constantly having to pass on really good movie roles because I was on the series. I had a film career before Star Trek. People knew me before Star Trek. As a matter of fact, at Comic Con, a lot of people came up to me and said, "I started watching Star Trek because you were on it and I was fan of yours from Stand By Me and I stopped watching it after you left." I had a lot of people say that to me.

After something like this had happened a lot of times, this was finally the last straw: I had been cast by Milos Foreman to be in Valmont. I had gone through lots and lots of callbacks, I had met Milos personally a number of times and he was really supporting me and telling me, "I want you in my movie." I was going to go to Paris and I was going to be in this movie and stuff and what happened was we were going to shoot it during the hiatus and the shooting schedule for Valmont would have carried me over about a week into the regular season schedule into Star Trek. I would have had to sit out the first episode of the year, right. That's not a big deal, it's not like I'm the fuckin' Captain, you know. At that point, I was the guy who pushed buttons and said, "Yes, sir!" So, I said to the people on Star Trek, "I need to be written out of this particular episode, because I'm going to do this movie and my film career's going to take off." This is after Gene Roddenberry had died. Had Gene been alive, it would have been no problem at all, because Gene was that kind of guy. Gene would have said, "Great! Go ahead, you do what you need to do," because he was that kind of person. After Gene died, a very different type of person took over and they said, "We can't write you out because the first episode of the season is all about you. It focuses entirely on your character and it's your story..." So, he said to me, "The story is entirely about you, we can't write you out." I said, "Well, this really sucks, but I'm under contract to you guys and if that's your call and if that's what you say I have to do, I have to do." I had to pass on the movie.

A couple of days before the season was ready to premiere, they wrote me out of the episode entirely. What they were doing was they were sending me a message. The message was, "We own you. Don't you ever try to do anything without us." That was the last straw for me. I called my agents and said, "They don't own me. It's time for me to leave this show, it's time for me to be gone." That's what really pushed me over the edge. It's not worth it anymore. That's why I left.
LINK

So it boils down to: He left because Berman was -surprise, surprise- a dick head.
And that's the story of how Wil Wheaton became a huge movie star.

Oh wait.
He may not have become a star, but it seems to be consistent with a few things we've heard behind the scenes in regards to Roddenberry. The main cast were still allowed to take part in other productions, some could take episodes off to focus on other projects when Roddenberry ran things, but Wheaton isn't the first to say that Berman restricted them from working on non-Trek gigs.
__________________
“You do not use science in order to prove yourself right, you use science in order to become right.”
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2009, 09:45 PM   #14
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post

Oh wait.
He may not have become a star, but it seems to be consistent with a few things we've heard behind the scenes in regards to Roddenberry. The main cast were still allowed to take part in other productions, some could take episodes off to focus on other projects when Roddenberry ran things, but Wheaton isn't the first to say that Berman restricted them from working on non-Trek gigs.
Oh, I agree, and I'm sure Rick Berman was a complete cock. I think Wheaton is just a little delusional on where his career was going to go though, and probably would've been better served cashing those Trek paychecks till the bitter end.

I actually like Wil Wheaton, he's smart and seems genuinely nice. If he wants more acting jobs he should wait till Shia LeBouf needs someone to play him 20 years in the future
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 01:29 AM   #15
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: Why did Wil Weaton leave the show?

Yoda wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post

Oh wait.
He may not have become a star, but it seems to be consistent with a few things we've heard behind the scenes in regards to Roddenberry. The main cast were still allowed to take part in other productions, some could take episodes off to focus on other projects when Roddenberry ran things, but Wheaton isn't the first to say that Berman restricted them from working on non-Trek gigs.
Oh, I agree, and I'm sure Rick Berman was a complete cock. I think Wheaton is just a little delusional on where his career was going to go though, and probably would've been better served cashing those Trek paychecks till the bitter end.

I actually like Wil Wheaton, he's smart and seems genuinely nice. If he wants more acting jobs he should wait till Shia LeBouf needs someone to play him 20 years in the future
Ick, the only thing worse than Wesley Crusher is Shia LeBouf as Wesley Crusher

But let's say Wheaton did decide to stay and didn't leave on his own accord. How viable and believable would it have been for Starfleet Academy to keep rejecting his application (despite his wunderkind genius status) or for the Enterprise to keep missing the transport rendez-vous, all as an attempt to keep him on board? For that matter, even if Wesley decided not to enroll/enlist and stay on the Enterprise, how much more further could his character go? Wesley probably would've been written out of the show eventually with the occasional recurring character gig.
__________________
“You do not use science in order to prove yourself right, you use science in order to become right.”
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.