IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 28 2009, 09:32 PM   #16
Harvey
Admiral

Re: So which planet did Starbuck....? *SPOILERS*

Didn't we have a discussion about Starbuck's recon photos of Earth looking odd back when season four began? Does anyone have screencaps? I suspect they're actually pictures of Earth, and not our "Earth."

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 28 2009, 09:39 PM   #17
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Didn't we have a discussion about Starbuck's recon photos of Earth looking odd back when season four began? Does anyone have screencaps? I suspect they're actually pictures of Earth, and not our "Earth."
Here's a high-def shot of her recon photos. The planet is so grainy and low in detail it's hard to make heads or tails of what we're looking at. But it does have a moon that looks an awful lot like our moon.
Old March 28 2009, 09:55 PM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

Meh. The picture could be either planet. It's pretty grainy. Did Earth have a moon in "Revelations?"

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 28 2009, 09:56 PM   #19
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

^They didn't show one.
Old March 28 2009, 11:06 PM   #20
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I'm pretty sure any reasonably earthlike planet is going to need a moon to give it tides, which are important to the development of life for reasons I don't fully recall. So it's likely that even though we never saw them, Earth 1, Caprica, Kobol, and New Caprica all had at least one moon. Remember, we only saw the moon of Earth 2 in one shot, so it's plausible the camera just never caught them.
Old March 28 2009, 11:11 PM   #21
roliver
Fleet Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
But after 150,000 years, why would that name survive in the language so that we would inadvertently give our own planet an alien name? And even in the unlikely event that it did - so what? It's all too silly.
The same silly reason that the Colonials decided to call their robot creations "cylons." It doesn't make sense. It just is.
Old March 28 2009, 11:36 PM   #22
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure any reasonably earthlike planet is going to need a moon to give it tides, which are important to the development of life for reasons I don't fully recall.
Tide pools.
Old March 29 2009, 01:56 AM   #23
Koinek
Vice Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
She went to both.

- She died, and her body appeared on Earth 1.0.

- Her 'soul' traveled to Earth 2.0 and discovered the lush fields, etc. Her 'body' was reborn above Earth 2.0, where she took the recon photos, and subsequently was transported back to the nebula where Lee found her.

- Her Viper was designed to follow the beacon from her old Viper, and thus the fleet followed it to Earth 1.0.

As to which Earth she was 'hearing' is anybody's guess.
*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*
Old March 29 2009, 07:05 PM   #24
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure any reasonably earthlike planet is going to need a moon to give it tides, which are important to the development of life for reasons I don't fully recall.
Tide pools.
Thank you, Noah Cross.
Old March 30 2009, 12:31 PM   #25
RoJoHen
Awesome

Starbuck's body and viper appearing on Earth 1 doesn't make much sense in general considering she blew up in "Maelstrom." What's even weirder is how decayed her body was. I'm perfectly okay with all the crazy "What is Starbuck?" stuff and leaving it mysterious, but this is one point that bugs me.
Old March 30 2009, 07:06 PM   #26
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Has anyone considered the possibility that both were the same planet, separated not by light-years but thousands of millennia? What if the Watchtower coordinates transported the fleet through a fold in time as well as space?

Say Earth-1 (Old Earth) was decimated in a catastrophe so total that its very face was altered. Humans flee to Kobol. Thousands of years pass and the 13th tribe returns to Earth, now healed and able to support life again. More time passes and the planet is nuked just as the Final Five get away.

2,000 years years later, the events of BSG transpire. Starbuck uses the Watchtower coordinates which transport the fleet through a fold in space-time, arriving at Earth-2 (Young Earth) 150,000 years in the past. Starbuck herself has already travelled through time unknowingly and beheld Young Earth before returning to the fleet. The contours of the continents and even the position of the stars in the sky are different fom what were observed on Old Earth. Nautrally the Colonials have no idea they've travelled through time and believe the Earths are two different worlds. Genetic compatibility would suggest otherwise though.
Old March 30 2009, 07:19 PM   #27
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I actually did think they might've been sent back in time, but the fact that the Fleet could follow them put the lie to that.
Old March 30 2009, 07:24 PM   #28
Yoda
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Starbuck's body and viper appearing on Earth 1 doesn't make much sense in general considering she blew up in "Maelstrom." What's even weirder is how decayed her body was. I'm perfectly okay with all the crazy "What is Starbuck?" stuff and leaving it mysterious, but this is one point that bugs me.
I'm with you on this. So she has one exploded Viper in the Maelstrom planet's atmosphere... one crashed Viper on Earth 1 with her dead body, and a third resurrected Viper that she rejoined the fleet with. Uhh. ok.
Old March 30 2009, 07:34 PM   #29
Dark Gilligan
Writer

I actually did think they might've been sent back in time, but the fact that the Fleet could follow them put the lie to that.
The fleet used the same jump coordinates as Galactica, given to them by the recon raptor. It would have sent them through the same fold in space-time. In all their travels, the Colonials found only two planets marginally capable of supporting life: New Caprica and the algae planet. So out of the blue they find a planet where the native life is a perfect genetic match to themselves? Naw, it's the same place.
Old March 30 2009, 07:39 PM   #30
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
The fleet used the same jump coordinates as Galactica, given to them by the recon raptor. It would have sent them through the same fold in space-time.
Hokey Trek time travel shenanigans are one thing Galactica successfully avoided. They did not travel through time. There is nothing about that theory that remotely makes sense.