RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 752
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 28 2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
So which planet did Starbuck....? *SPOILERS*

I've been wondering about the "two Earths" issue, as I'd been feeling a bit cheated by what seems now to be the crummy trick they played on us in Crossroads when we saw Earth 2.0, instead of the planet Starbuck was leading the fleet towards. With her body and Viper on Earth 1.0, she visted that one...right?

But one thing that never got definitively answered is what happened to Starbuck when she went to Earth; early in season 4, she talked about seeing green fields, remembering the planet "like [she]'d never left," and even returning with recon photos that showed a moon that sure looked like ours. So her dead body got dumped on the nuked Earth, but she talked about things like she visited our Earth.

So what I can't figure out is, which one did she go to? I suppose we could say that she saw Earth 2.0 so she could report a world worth inhabiting, while God dropped her body on Earth 1.0 so the fleet would go there first... it seems rather convoluted, though. Anyone have any better ideas?
Old March 28 2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: So which planet did Starbuck....? *SPOILERS*

She went to both.

- She died, and her body appeared on Earth 1.0.

- Her 'soul' traveled to Earth 2.0 and discovered the lush fields, etc. Her 'body' was reborn above Earth 2.0, where she took the recon photos, and subsequently was transported back to the nebula where Lee found her.

- Her Viper was designed to follow the beacon from her old Viper, and thus the fleet followed it to Earth 1.0.

As to which Earth she was 'hearing' is anybody's guess.
Old March 28 2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Wait, she had recon photos of the good Earth? Hrm. Then wouldn't they have noticed that dead Earth wasn't the one in the recon photos? I'll have to look at that during my rewatch when I get there in the next week or two.

Kara 'dying' on dead Earth and being 'reborn' on good Earth seems kind of cool though.
Old March 28 2009, 10:06 AM   #4
CaptainHarlock
Lieutenant Commander

* Maybe our Earth is like a hub, with ressurection technology, but one different kind. Earth get your spirit and made you reborn in new babies. But with starbuck it was literal. Remember the sci-fi book Shikasta, where aliens could travel to Earth using ships or borning.
Old March 28 2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Checkmate
Commodore

Oof, I'm all for cooking up (sometimes extreme) rationalizations, but the whole died on 1 reborn on 2 is pushing it into the absurdly overboard category.
Old March 28 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
roguephoenix
Captain

still begs the question, what is she?
Old March 28 2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Checkmate
Commodore

Kara was clearly a Christ figure.

Her father was an aspect of God. He taught her the song. He showed up later as a head character (though far more tangible than Six or Baltar; he was physically manipulating objects, which neither of those two ever did -- he was clearly a step beyond either of them), brought or arranged for a piano to be brought onboard the Galactica, and reminded her of the song.

She died and was reborn, body and soul. She completed her destiny, gave her people salvation at the cost of her own life, then ascended after saying her final goodbye. Heck, even when she was dead she appeared to Lee as an angel/head character; something that never occurred again after she was reborn.

I really don't know why people dismiss/don't get this. It became painfully obvious the closer we got to the end of the series.

It's kind of comical, really. Everyone keeps talking about God and angels, but no one puts together than the whole Jesus thing was there, too.
Old March 28 2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Checkmate wrote: View Post
He showed up later as a head character (though far more tangible than Six or Baltar; he was physically manipulating objects, which neither of those two ever did -- he was clearly a step beyond either of them), brought or arranged for a piano to be brought onboard the Galactica
Really? I always thought the piano was always there and that some crewmember got it on board as a keepsake.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old March 28 2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Checkmate
Commodore

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Checkmate wrote: View Post
He showed up later as a head character (though far more tangible than Six or Baltar; he was physically manipulating objects, which neither of those two ever did -- he was clearly a step beyond either of them), brought or arranged for a piano to be brought onboard the Galactica
Really? I always thought the piano was always there and that some crewmember got it on board as a keepsake.
No one knew how it got there and it only showed up after visiting Earth 1 (giving an excuse for why it could possibly have been there). It ended up on the Galactica of all ships, no one saw or knew anything about how it was moved there, and the only person ever seen sitting near it let alone playing it was Starbuck's father.
Old March 28 2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Robotech Master
Rear Admiral

It is sort of like asking how Jesus disappeared from the cave he was buried in.

Or asking how he resurrected three days after being crucified.

Or asking how Gandalf came back from the dead after being slain by the Balrog.

Kara was not a messenger like the Head figures. She was not a Cylon. She was something else entirely...

I agree with Ron Moore, there is no real good explanation for Kara that would satisfy everyone. Better to leave it mysterious.

I love the way she just disappears at the end.
Old March 28 2009, 05:04 PM   #11
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

If the planet that Starbuck visited and talked about was really Earth 2, then why did her body and wreckage crash on Earth 1? To me it doesn't make sense. I know RDM wanted to play with the audience by revealing Earth as a wasteland, then come back at the end of the series and show that "our" Earth is actually a different planet. But using Starbuck to lead the colonials to Earth 1, then Earth 2 just seems like too much of a stretch for me. There are way too many plot holes in the Starbuck destiny storyline.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Old March 28 2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Perhaps Terra (my preferred term for 'Earth 1') contained a built-in resurrection hub, since it was populated exclusively by Cylons. Starbuck could have been resurrected in Terra orbit, then transported to Earth via wormhole.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old March 28 2009, 06:15 PM   #13
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

She saw Earth II... but she had to take them to Earth I before they'd be ready to reach the final destination.
Old March 28 2009, 07:00 PM   #14
CommanderTrip
Captain

Starbuck's description at the beginning of Season 4 reminded me of a scene later in Season 4 when Natalie (The Six who Athena shot) is dying. As Doc Cottle is trying to save her, she is bombarded with images of green plants and forests. Now, this may have just been cylon projection, but I've come to think that this is the same thing that happened to Starbuck. Starbuck (like Natalie) was either dying or dead after hitting the malestrom, and the 'fields' she saw was the same thing Natalie was seeing when she was dying. Maybe both of these characters were in what D'anna described in Season 3: "The space between life and death." or something like that.

This doesn't explain how her body ended up on Earth 1.0, or the recon photos and refurbished viper, but I'll leave that up to god.

lol.
Old March 28 2009, 09:03 PM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I thought it was kinda stupid semantic quibbling, really. Adama et al dubbed "our" Earth as "Earth" because that was a name for a planet they knew about. But after 150,000 years, why would that name survive in the language so that we would inadvertently give our own planet an alien name? And even in the unlikely event that it did - so what? It's all too silly.

Not to mention the fact that it's only the name of our planet in English, so it isn't even all that significant. They should have just left the first Earth as THE Earth and not found another Earth or even an Earthlike planet in the end.