TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 28 2009, 04:33 AM   #1
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Your Trekkie-ness' effect on non-Trekkies?

A couple weeks ago, I got this text message from my sister asking what species "garrick [sic]" was. Assuming she was most likely referring to Garak of DS9 fame, I answered back Cardassian (I'm a stickler for proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation; must explain why it takes me twenty minutes to send a text message). Well, today I finally got a full explanation as to what happened. Seemed she was attending a trivia night at a bar in San Francisco and one of the categories was Trek. Now, even though she claims she doesn't remember a single episode of DS9 (it started when she was about eight), but for some reason, something inside her told her to answer Cardassian, though if a person in Cardassian makeup walked through the room she wouldn't recognize him or her. I can't figure it out, either; was it osmosis from me? A late night bender on Memory Alpha.org she had forgotten?

So, the question I pose to you is this: has your fandom for Trek rubbed off on your friends and families without you or them realizing it?
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 04:36 AM   #2
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Re: Your Trekkie-ness' effect on non-Trekkies?

The only aspect of my fandom that has "rubbed off" on my family/friends is the "geeks" who dress up for conventions.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Jono
Rear Admiral

The church my brother attended had a talky-guy use the Jem'Hadar for a religious point or something and given I'm a fan of DS9, have the dvds and he's seen some of it he recognises names of people, places, etc.

Had the same experience with a person calling me for an answer for trivia, but it was a Star Wars question. I can't exactly remember what it was but I think it was either they wanted the name of the actor who played Obi Wan or Tarkin in A New Hope. Among my friends I'm known more for my obsession with Star Wars and Stargate, particularly the latter as on college I spent a few weeks watching the entire run of SG1 from season 1 to the end of 8 that were available on our college network (I think only 3 were missing from season 5). Good thing is when I bought the DVDs a couple of my friends borrowed them and it got them into the show as well.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 04:21 PM   #4
kythe
Commander

I recently was talking to someone who reacted with surprise that I'm "still willing to admit in public to being a Star Trek fan". I wasn't aware that Star Trek is considered such a thing of the past that its uncool to mention it. Not that I've ever been anything but a geek, but still...
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Kaziarl
Commodore

Well, my girl friend had absolutely no interest in trek when I met her. Now however she's showing classic signs of closet trekkiness. She enjoyed generations and undiscovered country, and she wants to see the new movie with me, but won't admit to liking star trek yet. Anyone know of a 12 step program that might help her come to terms with her new found trekkiness?
Old March 29 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Johnny
Commander

TOS, I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI. Think thats 12...?
But all in one night, if she doesn't end up dead by the morning your on to a winner!
Old March 30 2009, 06:36 PM   #7
NXOner
Lieutenant Commander

Johnny wrote: View Post
TOS, I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI. Think thats 12...?
But all in one night, if she doesn't end up dead by the morning your on to a winner!
Nice one!

Well, in the last 40 years, I've been through times when I didn't dare mention Star Trek as the ridicule was so upsetting, but now I can mention it with impunity - either I'm too old for people to bother, or I'm already considered a fruitcake, or maybe 'normal' people have caught up with us Trekkies I think the arrival of 'acceptable' series such as BSG and Heroes has helped !
NXOner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Anika Hanson
Captain

I converted my current boyfriend. Before he met me he thought star trek and it's whole concept was 'silly'. Now he is a fully fledged trekkie
Old March 31 2009, 05:06 PM   #9
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

I recently broke up with a girl after accidently converting her to my nerdy ways.

People know if theres a Trek question to ask me and little factoids rub off on them. I got an odd phone cal from a promoter recently who called out of the blue and said "It's James Tiberius Kirk, right?" because he'd remembered me explaining something to him and it came up in an argument with his wife.
Old March 31 2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

kythe wrote: View Post
I recently was talking to someone who reacted with surprise that I'm "still willing to admit in public to being a Star Trek fan". I wasn't aware that Star Trek is considered such a thing of the past that its uncool to mention it. Not that I've ever been anything but a geek, but still...
I take any and all opportunity to show I'm a Trek fan and I get little ridicule...I'm extremely proud to like TOS and I show it!

If someone wants to 'try to make fun' let them...!!! As I have a barrage of comebacks to defend Trek....one of my favorites is, well of course you wouldn't like it, there is actual words and dialogue with sophisticted terms.... so you couldn't possibly understand it darling.
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote