Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old March 28 2009, 01:56 PM   #76
Jono
Rear Admiral

Re: Cobra Commander revealed (SPOILERS)

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
rofeta wrote: View Post
Tuln wrote: View Post
this is a really really dumb question.. but what does G.I. actually stand for anyway?
Galvanised Iron
Actually, it's "Government Issue".

It's an example of "soldiers' humor", started in WW II. Since everything in their lives was government issued (clothes, housing, food, toiletries), and soldiers everywhere tended to think, somewhat cynically, that they were viewed as interchangeable and easily replaceable, just like all their posessions they started to refer to themselves as "Government Issue Joe, (1 each)".
GI predates WWII and was short for Galvanised Iron and incorrectly assumed to stand for "general issue"/"government issue" as far back as World War 1 apparently, which isn't the story I was originally told but whatever.

In the case of GI Joe its not used in its original form but the changed Government Issue, General Issue, General Infantry and the other forms that are associated with the common US soldier as you mentioned.

On topic, I don't mind the new Cobra Commander look. Though if he has the tubing that curls around from his chest to the back of his helmet as with the toy that will be foolish...it just screams, "Good guy in a corner about to die by my hands...PULL ME AND GET A REPRIEVE TO FIGHT BACK AND DEFEAT ME!"

Last edited by Jono; March 28 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 05:29 PM   #77
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

WOW! As a big TF fan I recall the stink made about some of the TF's and the huge conversations about flames on Primes cab. I can honestly say that all those complaints are washed away when I see what die hard Joe fans are going to suffer through.

G.I.Joe was in my top 5 of 80s nostalgia that I loved but it was in the bottom of that top 5. I had felt mostly ok with the updated designs I was seeing. Didn't even blink at the black combat attire, I mean hey it wasn't flames on their suits, right?
I would call this look retarded but don't want to insult the retarded by coopting the term cause I really need a harsher adjective.

WTF?! Too KKK.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 08:17 PM   #78
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
Vonstadt wrote: View Post

somebody HIRE THIS MAN!
Yes, immediately!

Next, in response to the truly deluded:

Simply go to the Yo Joe website and read the file cards, written by the creators of GIJOE. With the exception of literally one or two people, GIJOE's roster is made up exclusively of personnel drawn from the United States Armed Forces. It's rear echelon commanders - General Austin, General Flagg, General Collingsworth, Admiral "Keel-Haul", "The Jugglers" - are all high-ranking officers in the United States Armed Forces. The unit takes its orders from and is responsible to the United States Government.

The only time it has ever been "international" was when the cartoon was produced by DIC (the animators that gave us Inspector Gadget).

The Oktober Guard is Russia's "highly-trained special mission force." It is not a division of "Joe International."

"Action Force" doesn't count. It is GIJOE for Europeans who like action comics and toys but hate Americans.

Finally, it is the reboot of a strictly American toy concept originated in the 1960's.

So to anyone who, in the face of all this information, is still dense enough to think GIJOE has always been an international group, feel free, but know this: You are a moron.

"GIJOE is the code name for AMERICA's daring, highly-trained Special Mission Force!"

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 09:15 PM   #79
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I don't have high expectations at all for this movie as far as its faithfulness to the original material (based on the costumes I've seen). But, man, that mask is hideous. You'd think they'd be a little more creative than that. Do a Vader rip-off or something.
Old March 28 2009, 09:25 PM   #80
Praetor
Vice Admiral

What the frak is this? Ignoring the hood, was the reflective helmet really worse?

And that's still Joseph Gordon-Levitt under there, right?

Maybe he dons the hood over this?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 10:53 PM   #81
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

My guess is that he dons THE HOOD at the end of the flick, setting up a sequel.

I'm also guessing that the lack of the mirrored helmet is due to the involvement of Larry Hama, who (as I recall; I need to go back and double-check this) always disliked using that look in the comics and was always being told by Hasbro when to include it -- which was generally to push a new toy line.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 12:26 AM   #82
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Another fan take (based on Devil's Due and a recent 12" figure)
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 12:27 AM   #83
Jono
Rear Admiral

somebody HIRE THIS MAN!
The lady has an unfortunate placed crease in her outfit.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 01:05 AM   #84
Praetor
Vice Admiral

JKTim wrote: View Post
My guess is that he dons THE HOOD at the end of the flick, setting up a sequel.
That wold be nice... his involvement is supposed to be relatively minimal anyway, isn't it?

I'm also guessing that the lack of the mirrored helmet is due to the involvement of Larry Hama, who (as I recall; I need to go back and double-check this) always disliked using that look in the comics and was always being told by Hasbro when to include it -- which was generally to push a new toy line.
I did not know that - of course I don't know a lot about the G.I. Joe lore other than a bit I've read about Hama.

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
I quite like that one.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old March 29 2009, 02:44 AM   #85
ancient
Vice Admiral

I think a paper bag over his head would've looked quite a bit better.

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
Looks sweet. But apparently too much like a bad guy.
Old March 29 2009, 02:48 AM   #86
Praetor
Vice Admiral

ancient wrote: View Post
Heaven forbid!

All villains must be scarred and sympathetic!
Old March 29 2009, 05:57 AM   #87
ancient
Vice Admiral

We wouldn't want to stereotype KKK members and hurt their self esteem by making the bad guy of the film look vaguely similar. We certainly do not want to imply that terrorists can't be sympathetic. And as we all know from epic fails like Darth Vader, Dr. Doom, and Sauron, giving the baddie a cool helmet is like, the worst choice imaginable.

And above all, don't mention those damn Americans.
Old March 29 2009, 07:12 AM   #88
Praetor
Vice Admiral

We wouldn't want to stereotype KKK members and hurt their self esteem by making the bad guy of the film look vaguely similar. We certainly do not want to imply that terrorists can't be sympathetic. And as we all know from epic fails like Darth Vader, Dr. Doom, and Sauron, giving the baddie a cool helmet is like, the worst choice imaginable.

And above all, don't mention those damn Americans.
You thought so too? I'm so glad I wasn't the only one.
Old March 29 2009, 09:29 AM   #89
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

rofeta wrote: View Post

somebody HIRE THIS MAN!
The lady has an unfortunate placed crease in her outfit.
Cobra toe?
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 08:06 PM   #90
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
Heaven forbid!

All villains must be scarred and sympathetic!
Cobra Commander was increasingly marginalized in the organization he created by a guy made of dead people, who flew around on a flying Segway and actually threw live cobras at his enemies, till finally he was purged and got Brannon Braga'd into a snake himself. How much more sympathetic can a man get?

Then again, I actually liked the Serpentor and Cobra-La, at least conceptually. I think I might be in the (tiny) minority on this.

But, seriously, this mask sucks. Like someone said above, it makes me nervous that they fouled up Destro, too.

And yes, G.I. Joe was America's thing. The Oktober (should be Oktyabr', why bother spelling October with a k unless you're going to actually translate it into Russian?) Guard was the Soviet Union's--I have no idea what happened to them in the 90's. Probably wound up eating their own boots.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote