Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 27 2009, 02:39 AM   #31
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: Cobra Commander revealed (SPOILERS)

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Man, any Cobra Commander cosplayers that show up for the opening are going to get some weird ass The way things are, I can just see it on the 6 o'clock news now.
Actually, that'd be cool, because at this point, any Cobra Commander cosplayers that show up will likely be carrying picket signs!

I say definitely put that shit on the 6 O'clock news!
What you really need to make people shit bricks: Cobra Command, and a phalanx of vipers.
Why stop at one phalanx? Quote General Austin in issue one: "Cobra has LEGIONS!"

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 02:41 AM   #32
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
The source material was he was a used car sales man that became a terrorist because Snake Eyes drove his family off the road in a car accident.

You really expect the mass public to not laugh their asses off at that?
And the terrorist in the see-through Ant-Man mask is less comical?

Again, the source material has Zartan turning colors to blend into a wall and built a man out of DNA dust and called him "Serpentor"!
And again, it also includes that same used car salesman taking over entire countries, putting a contract out on his own son and shooting people in the head for not thinking positive! Which mask do you think fits that Cobra Commander more?
The see thru one from the movie.

Modern terrorists aren't afraid to show their faces anymore.
Unless they intend to survive their terrorist acts and therefore don't want to get caught.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 02:47 AM   #33
DaleC76
Captain

Is the Cobra emblem in the movie? I don't think I've seen it yet.
Old March 27 2009, 03:21 AM   #34
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

hes supposed to be cobra fucking commander, not the plastic encased turd, WTF
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 03:28 AM   #35
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

If the packaging wasn't labeled I would have thought that was a strange design for Destro, what with the big collar and all.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 03:35 AM   #36
Aaron McGuire
Fleet Captain

I not normally one to say "OMG they're raping my childhood" but...

OMG! They're raping my childhood!

Aaron McGuire
Old March 27 2009, 03:36 AM   #37
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

He looks like the last appearance of lex luthor from smallville (post michael rosenbeum) wearing that oxygen mask
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 04:36 AM   #38
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

Wow. I wonder if Paramount can change their minds at the last minute? Would it be possible to refilm scenes with the Cobra Commander with the proper attire? If they don't, they could have a massive failure here. From the comments on that page, it looks like even non Joe fans think it looks stupid. Really, the costme wasn't that hard. I could've seen teaser posters with Cobra Commander in his original costume standing triumphantly, and the word Command above him. I'm worried abour Destro now as well. Those two are such iconic characters in the GI-Joe universe, changing one thing would alienate the fanbase. I bet Destro will ony have half of is face be silver, or a silver eye patch or something. Honestly, how could Hasbro agree to a design change this drastically on a main character? Say what you will about Micheal Bay, if he were directing, or even producing this movie, the villains wouldn't have changed a bit. Look how close he got with Optimus Prime? The only thing he changed was that he added flames to the paint job, and that even got a lot of flak. Oh, well, I'll save my money for the new Indy game that comes out the same month. I never thought I would say that abou a movie like this!
Old March 27 2009, 04:42 AM   #39
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

I loved GI Joe more than any other toys as a kid. I loved the comic too.

This really sucks for a few reasons - number two is it looks LAME and it is not necessary to make him an old buddy of one of the Joes who gets burned and wants revenge. His regular origin was very cool - either the used car salesman or the pyramid scheme stuff.

But the number one reason this is a mistake? If you are lucky enough for the filmmaking Gods to hand you a Darth Vader level, iconic villian - you. don't. change. a. fucking. thing.

Assholes.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 04:47 AM   #40
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Forget realism. Honor the source material. His original masks are fine, and only Hollywood Logic makes the Bubble-Boy mask a sensible change.
The source material was he was a used car sales man that became a terrorist because Snake Eyes drove his family off the road in a car accident.

You really expect the mass public to not laugh their asses off at that?

Again, the source material has Zartan turning colors to blend into a wall and built a man out of DNA dust and called him "Serpentor"!
Actually, I think CC's brother got drunk and smashed into a car carrying Snake-Eyes' parents and sister, and killed them.
Old March 27 2009, 05:48 AM   #41
Vonstadt
Captain

Would this have really been so hard if even a fan can do it??

Found this nice little pic from a convention

Old March 27 2009, 06:06 AM   #42
Cartoonist
Captain

The KKK excuse has got to be the lamest thing I've heard in a long time. He's a fucking genocidal madman, the KKK thing...yeah, that's the least of the dude's problems, but that's the point: He's fucking insane! Come on, why couldn't they use the silver metal mask or the armor from the comics? What's up with the escape from a toxic-waste dump Cobra commander.

Bet they didn't keep the "Used car-dealers fucked by the Feds" origin either.
That cuts it, if the guy doesn't understand why the KKK suggestion would actually be a good thing when you're creating a villain, I have no interest in seeing the villain he ended up filming.

I'm not a huge GI Joe fan (I watched the show in the '80s and barely remember anything other than Snake Eyes), so I don't care if they change the designs a bit. But that lame excuse is a real buzz kill for me.

I'm only going to see this if the reviews are really, really good.
Cartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 06:19 AM   #43
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I'm a big fan of this franchise so I'm thinking:
WTF are they on?
Why not ask a fan what he or she thinks before approving the design, particularly if you are marketing to adults who were fans as kids. That was one thing that Lucas did not do with TPM and look where it got him. At least he made a unique looking villain
Old March 27 2009, 06:32 AM   #44
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Does anyone know why they didn't just use the metal face mask?
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2009, 07:07 AM   #45
Akiraprise

WTF? That's supposed to be Cobra Commander?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain. I mean to avenge myself upon you Admiral. I've deprived your ship of power and when I swing around I mean to deprive you of your life. But I wanted you to know first who it was who had beaten you." - The Khan formerly known as...Khan
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote