RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,653
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 567
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 28 2009, 08:41 AM   #31
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Re: Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

roguephoenix wrote: View Post
not i. just don't want to support anymore wolvercrap.
Give it a shot...there's plenty for the other characters to do.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 10:50 AM   #32
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I watched the first two episodes of the show and loved the premise of the series, but haven't really been following much since it airs on YTV around 11:30 in the morning and I usually sleep in until around one or two on Saturday's.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 08:01 PM   #33
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
And it's very un-kiddie in another way, though I wouldn't exactly call it mature -- there's hardly a single female character on the show who's smaller than a D cup, and several of the costumes (notably Emma Frost and Domino) are very much designed to show that off.
It's Emma Frost's feet that I love. Not her boobs.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 04:13 AM   #34
Thrall
Commodore

Ditto. Emma Frost is in it too, so I don't want anything to do with it.

I will not watch something that is the ultimate example of everything I've grown to hate and despise about the franchise and characters I once adored as a child. The X-Men are dead to me. Time to move on.
Old March 29 2009, 08:40 AM   #35
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Thrall wrote: View Post
Ditto. Emma Frost is in it too, so I don't want anything to do with it.

I will not watch something that is the ultimate example of everything I've grown to hate and despise about the franchise and characters I once adored as a child. The X-Men are dead to me. Time to move on.
Why do you hate Wolverine and Emma Frost, and why was the franchise better in the past, exactly?
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 08:43 AM   #36
RoJoHen
Awesome

I just checked out the first few episodes, and the way they set up Wolverine's main character status actually makes a lot of sense.
Old March 29 2009, 03:31 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I just checked out the first few episodes, and the way they set up Wolverine's main character status actually makes a lot of sense.
Actually I don't think it's been justified very well. They had
It's a decent show, but Wolverine's leadership role is blatantly just an attempt to tie in with the character's popularity and the upcoming Wolverine solo film, and it hasn't been adequately explained within the context of the series itself.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 05:26 PM   #38
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post

The pattern nowdays seems to be to release a "sampler" dvd early then a season set latter on. If for some reason the sampler "tanks", they can simply cancel the season set.
I don't know why the hell studios think thats a good Idea as most people I know including my self will not buy these things, it's either a full season or nothing, so useing sales of these dvd's (something like 6 disjointed episodes for $20) to measure how well a full season release will do is bullcrap
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 07:06 PM   #39
Thrall
Commodore

Why do you hate Wolverine
As if the name of the series wasn't clue enough. I don't hate Wolverine, I hate what he's become. When he was just a character, I liked him. Now he's THE CHARACTER and everything revolves around him. When he was the mysterious Man With No Name I liked him. Now? The mystery and coolness is gone thanks to That Origin story and decades of overexposure. He's an overexposed fanboy powertrip wetdream run amok and he's taking the other characters down into mediocrity with him and he has been for years. He's a bore, a cliche, and a walking parody of himself.

I remember the exact moment I grew to dislike him. Garth Ennis just totally took the piss out of him when he had him guest star in The Punisher. He wrote him as cartoony and self-parodying has he could. But the sad thing was it wasn't that much of a parody("No where ya can hide Clide! Come git yer kicks on Route Snikty-Snikt!"). Castle called him something so profound that I just couldn't take the character seriously after that. He called him "Yosemite Sam". "Oh. My. God. He IS Yosemite Sam.".

and Emma Frost,
I have a terrible medical condition I've had since I was a kid. When witness to or in the pressence of a mean-spirited, nasty, destructive, heinous scumfuck I tend to have a violent, allergic reaction. I could point out that her existence and rise to promince was done at the expense and destruction of 30 years of some of the best modern mythology in comics. I could point out that she's a generic retro-90's Bad Girl, that's gone past her experation date, who does nothing but lower the tone and drags every character down into mediocrity with her. She's just a pair of tits with an attitude. They should be honest and just draw her as a pair of boobies, with a biker hat on top, that just stands there and does boobie like things. "The Skrulls are attacking again. What should we do Emma? "*Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle. Squirt, squirt, squirt*" "Good plan Emma. We'll flank them and take them by surprise. Good thing we have you here Emma to think of stuff like that." "*Jiggle, squirt*". "Oh, Emma. My that was a good joke. All right X-Men, lets go!" "*JIGGLE SQUIRT JIGGLE*"

and why was the franchise better in the past, exactly?
Because it's like comparing The Beatles to Linkin Park. If you can't understand that, then I can't help you.
Old March 29 2009, 07:31 PM   #40
RoJoHen
Awesome

It's a decent show, but Wolverine's leadership role is blatantly just an attempt to tie in with the character's popularity and the upcoming Wolverine solo film, and it hasn't been adequately explained within the context of the series itself.
I actually thought it was more like the professor saying, "Well, Storm isn't around, and Cyclops is being a giant pussy, so I'm gonna put Logan in charge."

That explanation worked for me.
Old March 29 2009, 09:17 PM   #41
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I actually thought it was more like the professor saying, "Well, Storm isn't around, and Cyclops is being a giant pussy, so I'm gonna put Logan in charge."

That explanation worked for me.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 10:21 PM   #42
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Given the bleak present and the liklihood of an even bleaker future (MRD, Sentinels, etc) can you see Catatonic Cyclops being the leader the X-Men need?

I can't.

The only other possible option MIGHT be Storm, but Wolverine is a soldier. He'll make the tough calls "Slim" wouldn't dare make.
Old March 29 2009, 10:28 PM   #43
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
I don't know why the hell studios think thats a good Idea as most people I know including my self will not buy these things, it's either a full season or nothing, so useing sales of these dvd's (something like 6 disjointed episodes for $20) to measure how well a full season release will do is bullcrap
Because the single disc "sampler" catches the eye of the "causal fan" of the material, the ones that might balk at paying $30-50 for a season set are more likely to pay $10-15 (usually less than a new release movie) for a single disc with 3-5 eps on it.

On top of that, you might not go for it, but experience has shown that enough "hard core" fans will to make it worth their while, added on top of "casual" fans.
Old March 29 2009, 10:44 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Given the bleak present and the liklihood of an even bleaker future (MRD, Sentinels, etc) can you see Catatonic Cyclops being the leader the X-Men need?

I can't.

The only other possible option MIGHT be Storm, but Wolverine is a soldier. He'll make the tough calls "Slim" wouldn't dare make.
That's a decent explanation. Not sure I buy Xavier thinking in those terms, though. I see him as more of an idealist. And Scott is like a son to him. He'd be more likely to tell Scott that he had to get his act together and become a leader again because the world depended on it.

Although maybe Charles is trying to protect Scott. Logan essentially can't be killed, so if things are getting much more dangerous for the X-Men, he's a good choice as the leader.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 11:11 PM   #45
miraclefan
Commodore

Thrall wrote: View Post
I could point out that she's a generic retro-90's Bad Girl, that's gone past her experation date, who does nothing but lower the tone and drags every character down into mediocrity with her. She's just a pair of tits with an attitude. They should be honest and just draw her as a pair of boobies, with a biker hat on top, that just stands there and does boobie like things. "The Skrulls are attacking again. What should we do Emma? "*Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle. Squirt, squirt, squirt*" "Good plan Emma. We'll flank them and take them by surprise. Good thing we have you here Emma to think of stuff like that." "*Jiggle, squirt*". "Oh, Emma. My that was a good joke. All right X-Men, lets go!" "*JIGGLE SQUIRT JIGGLE*"
That about ''sums'' here up!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote