Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: What do ye think of Caprica thus far?
OMG IT LOOKS AWESOME 3 4.55%
It looks good 23 34.85%
Looks O.K. 26 39.39%
Looks kinda bad 11 16.67%
OMG IT LOOKS LIKE A BIG LOAD OF FELGERCARB 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 28 2009, 07:26 PM   #31
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Caprica

That's a nice parallel.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old March 28 2009, 08:56 PM   #32
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Caprica

species5618 wrote: View Post
backstept wrote: View Post
I'm certain it will be better than Kings, which is similar in that it's set in a city that's not on any current earth map
Kings deals with a troubled monarchy while Caprica will deal with the ethics of AI, anyway . . .

I'm definitely going to give it a chance
I watched the 2 hour Kings pilot, and while it's not great (Ian McShane is pretty much the only reason I watched it), I did think that perhaps Caprica would have a similar feel--but with AI in place of a shaky monarchy, of course.
Kings has already lost my interest, but there's no reason that Caprica has to. It's all down to 1) the characters (only Ian McShane is interesting in Kings, but it already looks like Caprica will have several interesting folks) and 2) the premise (Kings is just normal warfare and politics, without any intriguing sci fi angle).

If this series can answer how the centurions arise into consciousness--but were monotheistic--it will have told a fascinating story. How does that happen in a polytheistic society?
That's an interesting story in its own right. There's no reason why those hunks of metal can't be characters who can hold our attention, especially if they have some vocal ability (voice acting can do a lot). And to make the Centurions "real characters" will patch over the problem that BSG had in retrospect, that there were key players in the story who were never made real for us.

But I'm really not expecting the metal Cylons to have much of a role in the story - this seems more aimed at the notion of re-creating humans for their emotional value, and chunks of metal just don't count.