RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 458
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: What do ye think of Caprica thus far?
OMG IT LOOKS AWESOME 3 4.55%
It looks good 23 34.85%
Looks O.K. 26 39.39%
Looks kinda bad 11 16.67%
OMG IT LOOKS LIKE A BIG LOAD OF FELGERCARB 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 25 2009, 07:31 PM   #16
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Re: Caprica

RDM is producing Caprica. He might not be as deeply involved or write as much, but he's one of the show runners, have no fear.
Old March 25 2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I don't see why Daniel Greystone doing some works towards creating artificial humanoid life forms can't be reconciled with the idea that the final five created the skin jobs. Just look at the trailer and it's easy to come up with all sorts of plausible explanations. Perhaps Daniel never perfected the process; I understand there's a virtual environment of sorts involved in the pilot where the consciousness of these first artificial lifeforms may be able to exist. Making a copy of the "brain's thought patterns" as it were and that can exist in an artificial environment. There's no guarantee Daniel ever completed/perfected a humanoid cylon model. He may be trying to created a body for the replicated consciousness of his daughter to reside in. That's my guess.

Also, there's no reason to believe this technology became common knowledge even if he were successful. He could have abandoned (or been forced to abandon) it because it's "dangerous" or "immoral." I suspect that's the crux of it; he can create them, but should he? Copying an actual person is a whole different can of worms. It would never really be the person, after all. There's no canon violation. Daniel could have created the centaurion technology later out of this.

I loved the trailer. Still have it bookmarked.
Caprica trailer

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; March 25 2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old March 25 2009, 08:49 PM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

Looks okay. Great cast, interesting subject matter, good writing staff. I'll make a real judgment once I see the pilot come April.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 25 2009, 08:57 PM   #19
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I'm certain it will be better than Kings, which is similar in that it's set in a city that's not on any current earth map
Kings deals with a troubled monarchy while Caprica will deal with the ethics of AI, anyway . . .

I'm definitely going to give it a chance
Old March 25 2009, 08:57 PM   #20
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Those seven 30 plus second preview clips are back up at youtube. Man, Zoe's a disrespectful little brat. She should have been the star of "Mean Girls."

Zoe

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old March 26 2009, 04:45 PM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

backstept wrote: View Post
I'm certain it will be better than Kings, which is similar in that it's set in a city that's not on any current earth map...
Interesting, since what I've seen of this does look quite a bit like "Kings" and yet less intriguing.
Old March 26 2009, 08:52 PM   #22
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Looks kinda bad. I'm not terribly interested in the "let's go backwards and sideways to tell a story that's already over" aspect of it. I'm also ambivalent about The Plan. Show's over.
Old March 27 2009, 07:18 AM   #23
species5618
Commodore

backstept wrote: View Post
I'm certain it will be better than Kings, which is similar in that it's set in a city that's not on any current earth map
Kings deals with a troubled monarchy while Caprica will deal with the ethics of AI, anyway . . .

I'm definitely going to give it a chance
I watched the 2 hour Kings pilot, and while it's not great (Ian McShane is pretty much the only reason I watched it), I did think that perhaps Caprica would have a similar feel--but with AI in place of a shaky monarchy, of course.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old March 27 2009, 08:33 AM   #24
The Master of Tarquin Hill
Commodore

I've lost my enthusiasm for this series after that shitfest finale. I'm concerned about being letdown again.
Old March 27 2009, 02:45 PM   #25
The Habs Fan
Commodore

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
RDM is producing Caprica. He might not be as deeply involved or write as much, but he's one of the show runners, have no fear.
I think I read somewhere that RDM is the showrunner for the first 10 or so episodes and then the reins are being handed over to Jane Espenson.
Old March 27 2009, 03:56 PM   #26
Mr Light
Admiral

Espenson is going to run Caprica? Like she did Buffy Season Six? I think that's the third strike for me!

Old March 27 2009, 04:53 PM   #27
Searider Falcon
Fleet Captain

View Searider Falcon's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Searider Falcon Send a message via AIM to Searider Falcon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Searider Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Searider Falcon

It looks okay. The cast and the fact that I'm a sucker for back story, so I'll give it a chance.

Jane Espenson's heavy involvement, however, does give me pause. She's done some good episodes, but she's also been the responsible party for some impressive steaming piles of shit.

http://seariderfalcon.livejournal.com
Old March 27 2009, 06:13 PM   #28
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I've lost my enthusiasm for this series after that shitfest finale. I'm concerned about being letdown again.
I agree that the finale was a letdown, but this series has promise. It's a haunting idea--history repeating itself because one man can't let go of his daughter. I realize there's more to it ultimately than that, but one man's loss of his child being the catalyst for everything seems epic in a way I can't articulate. I guess I'm a sucker for tragedies. It's all in the cast and characters. Look at it this way, these characters can't just "forget" and "wipe the slate clean" (as if ignoring the darker parts of humanity that contribute to its tendency to be destructive will make those destructive tendencies go away in the future--God your finale sucked, RDM). These characters must go forward. Everything's bound to have more significance than a vision that haunts people for years that ends up being Baltar and Caprica picking up Hera and walking a few feet into CIC. Every step these people take bring them closer to their doom......and to their idiot grandchildren offering Gillette Ladies Shavers to their would-be lovers in the tribe down the river as valentine's gifts so she can shave her pits.

Old March 28 2009, 07:08 PM   #29
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

If this series can answer how the centurions arise into consciousness--but were monotheistic--it will have told a fascinating story. How does that happen in a polytheistic society? You create artificial intelligence, but it has religious beliefs? Not just religious beliefs, but it springs to life complete with a conceptually alien religion? Scientists would bother to program religious beliefs?

That doesn't make sense but, if you think about it, the answer may be very sinister. Monotheism is alien to colonial society. It's only associated with fringe terrorist elements. Who is this narrative is monotheistic? Zoe is. Is Daniel still trying to recreate his daughter for years after abandoning the cybernetics?

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; March 28 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old March 28 2009, 07:24 PM   #30
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I agree that the finale was a letdown, but this series has promise. It's a haunting idea--history repeating itself because one man can't let go of his daughter. I realize there's more to it ultimately than that, but one man's loss of his child being the catalyst for everything seems epic in a way I can't articulate.
Especially since the catalyst on the Cylon side is going to be a childs hatred of being alive.