RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 502
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: What do ye think of Caprica thus far?
OMG IT LOOKS AWESOME 3 4.55%
It looks good 23 34.85%
Looks O.K. 26 39.39%
Looks kinda bad 11 16.67%
OMG IT LOOKS LIKE A BIG LOAD OF FELGERCARB 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 25 2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Caprica

Well, uhh we've seen some scant previews, so let's get a basic bit o' polling goin.
Old March 25 2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Caprica

Looks great to me. Love the cast with Morales, Stoltz, and Walker. I'll give it a shot.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old March 25 2009, 09:36 AM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

Based on the previews I've seen, I'm not excited at all. I'm gonna wait to see reviews before I even bother giving it a shot.
Old March 25 2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Immolatus
Captain

looks ok. the cast is good so i look forward to that. now with the shield gone and NuBSG gone i have nothing to watch.
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Old March 25 2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

I was excited based on the previews, but the ending of BSG has kind of sucked out my enthusiasm - not that I didn't like the ending - I loved it, but I loved it so much that I'm not sure I'm that excited about visiting a specific piece of Colonial backstory after all that stuff about "God" and "Angels" kind of blew the BSG universe wide open (in a good way).
Old March 25 2009, 12:17 PM   #6
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

"This has all happened before, it will all happen again."

Caprica is to nuBSG as Galactica 1980 is to BSG.
Old March 25 2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

It looks... okay. I'm unimpressed with the cast. Stoltz is one of those perpetually cheesy guys. Like Eric Roberts or Dylan Neal.

The other thing is, because the plot and backstory of BSG was so scattershot and had such little coherence and planning, i just feel like there's little point in learning about the origins of Cylons. It doesn't feel like there's some great untold story there, not to mention what another poster said that after the scope of the finale and God and Angels, and the whole cycle repeating thing..... it seems oddly un-ambitious to have a window to see how these Cylons started. I mean, really? Who cares?
Old March 25 2009, 01:30 PM   #8
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
It looks... okay. I'm unimpressed with the cast. Stoltz is one of those perpetually cheesy guys. Like Eric Roberts or Dylan Neal.

The other thing is, because the plot and backstory of BSG was so scattershot and had such little coherence and planning, i just feel like there's little point in learning about the origins of Cylons. It doesn't feel like there's some great untold story there, not to mention what another poster said that after the scope of the finale and God and Angels, and the whole cycle repeating thing..... it seems oddly un-ambitious to have a window to see how these Cylons started. I mean, really? Who cares?
Caprica isn't really about the origin of the Cylons
Cylons existed thousands of years ago on Kobol and then Earth
Caprica, from what I've read, will be about two families and the ethics of advanced robotics and copied consciousness
yes, the toaster cylons were created on the colonies, but I think Caprica will be less about the robots and more about the heart and soul of people and whether or not it's right to give them an artificial body
and also the railcar incident that kills Zoe Graystone and Joe Adama's daughter was instigated by a religious faction that believes in one god, so we may see some commentary on that sort of thing
Old March 25 2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I voted It looks good.

I guess we'll see.
Old March 25 2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

It's set in the NuBSG universe, for that I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm looking forward to the Plan mostly to see if the Clyon's actually had one

Old March 25 2009, 03:19 PM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

How about "doesn't impress" as an option?

It's possible to be uninterested by something without thinking that it "looks bad."
Old March 25 2009, 04:57 PM   #12
Mr Light
Admiral

As I understand it, this is going to be a full-on soap opera with no action or villains whatsoever... if this is the case, I probably won't bother watching. BSG was slow enough as it was, but at least they actually did fight the Cylons every ten episodes or so

Old March 25 2009, 05:19 PM   #13
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

It's not going to be a full on soap opera. Where are you getting that?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old March 25 2009, 05:21 PM   #14
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

It looks OK. I will watch at least a few episodes before passing judgment. My only concern, really, is that there is no way the show can be as epic as BSG itself. It will always feel like small potatoes in comparison.
Old March 25 2009, 05:45 PM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It looks good. My guesses at the pro's and con's:

Pro:

-Great cast, particularly Esai Morales as Joe Adama.
-The premise about the perils of AI is tried & true sci fi, but not overused on TV.
-The story is unlikely to have the logic/continuity problems that BSG did, since it's based on a situation, not on some mystery the writers haven't figured out for themselves; the premise is the type that you really can just make up as you go, without tying yourselves in knots.
-The audience is already curious about pre-BSG Colonial society and some interesting mythos groundwork has already been laid.
-Skiffy (yes, that's still their name) will probably give Caprica a little leeway to secure an audience rather than cancelling it after two minutes.
-Anything that isn't another cop show dressed up as sf/f is welcome.
-There's reallly nothing on TV that matches the BSG style and sensibility, which Caprica will no doubt continue. The critics will most likely love it, and although that's no guarantee of ratings, it sure can't hurt.

Con:

-RDM isn't staying with the show (is he?) - the other writers have tendencies towards preachy posturing and self-indulgent meandering, which I suspect RDM has been keeping in line (based on the episodes he's written, which tend not to have those deficiencies nearly as much).
-I'll be shallow and admit I'll miss the sexy space jocks and the kick-ass space battles. It wouldn't be so bad if there were ONE other good space opera series out there, but all we have on the horizon is SG:U and I'm not holding out much hope for that.

The other thing is, because the plot and backstory of BSG was so scattershot and had such little coherence and planning, i just feel like there's little point in learning about the origins of Cylons.
I don't really see how BSG and Caprica's stories about the Cylons' origins can be reconciled. Graystone needs to invent the skinjobs, he can't let the Final Five be the ones who do it! That just takes the dramatic punch out of the story. Not that I wouldn't like to see Sam Anders show up and give him a hand...but if Caprica wants to just start the frak over and tell a different origin story, they have my blessing. I'm usually a canon nazi, but not when the canon is a mess. Just make it make sense.

I'm looking forward to the Plan mostly to see if the Clyon's actually had one
I'll give the writers one last shot to untangle the mess they've made. That, and Sam With Hair, is enough to induce me to watch.