Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 24 2009, 09:56 PM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Anybody want books/additional media about life on "Earth?"

Killer Koinek wrote: View Post
I'd like to hear more about how god helps Lee Adama survive when the entire population of "Earth" realize what a huge mistake they've all made in giving up their technology.
Why assume that Lee forced them to? Those who didn't want to give up technology might have just moved to another part of the planet.
Old March 24 2009, 09:59 PM   #17
Koinek
Vice Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
I'd like to hear more about how god helps Lee Adama survive when the entire population of "Earth" realize what a huge mistake they've all made in giving up their technology.
Why assume that Lee forced them to? Those who didn't want to give up technology might have just moved to another part of the planet.
Yea and maybe a giant hurricane god made to punish their insolence wiped them all out before they rose up and took over the planet.

Look, you can really postulate whether everyone gave up their tech or whether a small group just said "Fuck....errr....Frak Lee Adama. I don't want to die because I get Tuberculosis". But the most likely interpretation, the one I believe we're meant to take is that such a group does not exist.
Old March 24 2009, 10:08 PM   #18
Kchunda
Commander

LOL @ David cgc

I would be interested in a book or two. Did Bill ever come in contact with any natives/have any kids? Did he just live by himself until he died? Did he ever build a cabin?

Did Lee father any children, or eventually take a Raptor to Greece?

I like the Galen, King of Scotland idea Wonder if he had anything to do with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaels

Did Helios, err I mean Helo and Athena have any more kids? Perhaps a son (whom they called Phaëton perhaps?) who accidentally died while joyriding in an abandoned Raptor or something (hence the story of Helios' chariot)?

I could certainly see some interesting parallels between fleshing out some ancient mythology (from around the world) with some better-known characters to further tie them to us. As it is, I'm already more interested in paleoanthropology than I was before the finale. . . maybe the same could be done in other fields. . . like tying together post-earth BSG and anything interesting from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_astronauts
Old March 24 2009, 10:10 PM   #19
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

David cgc wrote: View Post

"Hey. Yeah, you, the asshole that's been eyeballing me all day. Why don't you go down to the river and drink up a bunch of water and think about how nice that it's not rationed to a thimble a day. If you're still pining for the paradise of the Fleet after that, come back here and we'll make you a nice cozy two-by-six box to stay in with all the comfort you grew accustomed to on the way here."

I was originally going to answer "no" to the OP's question... but you just talked me into it.

It would be worth the read just to find out if there was *one* jackass on the planet that was still pining for the marvelous technological lifestyle they left behind.

It would probably be that same joker who was running the "Surrender to the Cylons!" movement back in Season Two. Oh wait, I think he was actually blown up by a Cylon.
Old March 24 2009, 10:19 PM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Yea and maybe a giant hurricane god made to punish their insolence wiped them all out before they rose up and took over the planet.

Look, you can really postulate whether everyone gave up their tech or whether a small group just said "Fuck....errr....Frak Lee Adama. I don't want to die because I get Tuberculosis". But the most likely interpretation, the one I believe we're meant to take is that such a group does not exist.
I think that it's very likely that there were dissenters, for one simple reason: Lee did not have the *power* to force anyone to give anything up. All he did was make a suggestion. He could not have had the ability to *enforce* it. He had no ships or weapons at his disposal.
Old March 24 2009, 10:38 PM   #21
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Look, you can really postulate whether everyone gave up their tech or whether a small group just said "Fuck....errr....Frak Lee Adama. I don't want to die because I get Tuberculosis".
Yes, because if there's one thing that'll protect the Colonials from lung diseases, its building a city and recreating a technological society on an uninhabited planet. Except for how, that time they did build a city and attempt to recreate a technological society, Sam Anders almost died of pneumonia.

I would've actually let that one slide if you stuck with malaria, but it was just too tempting a callback.

Kelso wrote: View Post
It would be worth the read just to find out if there was *one* jackass on the planet that was still pining for the marvelous technological lifestyle they left behind.
I'm guessing he'd probably be lynched by some people from the mining ship, or the refinery ship, or anyone else who's biggest problem on the exodus wasn't boredom. Hell, probably a few people from the nice ships that were stir-crazy from the boredom might join in, too.
Old March 24 2009, 10:38 PM   #22
QCzar
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to QCzar Send a message via Yahoo to QCzar

I honestly don't think there's much of anything left to tell in the nuBSG story. It's similar to the way I feel about Middle Earth, in that the stories are so intrinsically tied to the characters that once their arcs are complete, there's not much else there.

I mean it would be like a series or book dealing with Dorothy's (Wizard of Oz) life in high school or something. Completely anti-climactic and pointless. Her story is done. So are those of the BSG characters.

However, I would not be opposed to a glimpse into the situation of the colonials in general. Focusing on a minor character (like Hoshi, Seelix or Lampkin). That might work, since these characters don't really have thematic arcs (at least, not to nearly the same degree). There could be a wide range of stories (religion, social organization, ethics, etc.) told from what would be a new perspective for the most part, fleshing out characters who were previously only footnotes. If, as I suspect, such novels were written by people other than the regular BSG writing staff/RDM, such an arrangement would give them much more flexibility to have their own take on these characters.

But I am against messing with what I feel is a good thing. Anything else related to the main characters in anything other than a cursory way would be unnecessary.

Imagine Seelix starting a junta, though! That I would pay to see...uh...read.
Old March 25 2009, 02:38 AM   #23
arch101
Fleet Captain

These characters only work in the context of the series. They are citizens of their society or it's mobile semblance. Anything additional would be pretty dull. Baltar and Caprica turning into American Gothic? Apollo turning into Grizzly Adams? Helo and Athena's little house on the Prairie? Doc Cottle, Medicine Man (and tobacconist)? Nah. It's over. I wouldn't mimd some fiction about the years before the fall of the Colonies, however. There must have been some stories to tell. The crew seemed to have plenty of combat experience beyond just training. How'd that happen?
Old March 25 2009, 03:12 AM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I want stories set on Kobol.
Old March 25 2009, 03:28 AM   #25
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

A book series might be cool. I think Adama's story is done, and Tyrol's as well, but there seemed to be a main settlement with Tigh, Ellen, Romo, Athea, Helo and Lee when hes not 'exploring' that would be cool to revisit and see their life on Earth.
Old March 25 2009, 03:31 AM   #26
What's his face
Rear Admiral

I want stories set on Kobol.
Same here.

That and both Old Earth before its fall and New Earth during its fall.
Old March 25 2009, 04:10 PM   #27
cb31
Lieutenant Commander

I'd be interested in a couple of books set after the series finale just because I have trouble letting anything go!
Old March 25 2009, 04:34 PM   #28
Raz
Rear Admiral

Ahh, I can see it now.

TYROL
Frack it's cold.

TYROL
I'm hungry.

TYROL dies.
Old March 25 2009, 06:36 PM   #29
Koinek
Vice Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
Look, you can really postulate whether everyone gave up their tech or whether a small group just said "Fuck....errr....Frak Lee Adama. I don't want to die because I get Tuberculosis".
Yes, because if there's one thing that'll protect the Colonials from lung diseases, its building a city and recreating a technological society on an uninhabited planet. Except for how, that time they did build a city and attempt to recreate a technological society, Sam Anders almost died of pneumonia.

I would've actually let that one slide if you stuck with malaria, but it was just too tempting a callback.
How about medications and hospitals help cure diseases? I think that's a simple enough point. They specifically mentioned that folks were left with "only the clothes on their backs". Even if they carried a short supply of meds, without manufacturing technology, they would be out in a short span of time.
Old March 25 2009, 10:55 PM   #30
Amy Sisson
Writer

Danoz wrote: View Post
Whether their lives would be "less eventful," would you want to read something-- like a "world's of DS9" kind of book series that would chronicle the characters as they interact with the natives and build communities?
I was going to say flat out "no" at first, but the one thing I could really go for would be an open-call anthology for short stories, each depicting the writer's own version of what happened next, or of side stories. In other words, pro-level fan-fic, a bit like the Trek Strange New Worlds contest anthologies, but not limited to new writers.

I would just love to see many people's different ideas, and more power to them if they all completely contradict each other. A big "what if" anthology, if you will.

http://www.amysisson.com