IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 24 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Mr Light
Admiral

Batman R.I.P. & Last Rites

Coming very late to the game, I just finally read the BATMAN RIP trade (which includes the Last Rites two parter as well). After reading a ton of negative hype on this, and being extremely disappointed with Final Crisis, I was shocked to find I actually enjoyed RIP. Maybe it’s just because I got to read it all in one sitting without having to wait a month between each story (part of why FC sucked).

I didn’t find the story confusing, either. The only part I was left unsure on was the identity of the Black Glove. I’m assuming it was Simon Hurt and just claimed to be Thomas Wayne, but it was left unclear. Of course, I’m positive if I had read it in incremental form I would have hated it!

I liked the large collection of new villains, though obviously they work best as a group and not as individuals. I like how pervasive and all-knowing the villain was and how utterly Bats seemed to be defeated… only for him to rise up and win the day in a very thrilling fashion. I think my favorite part about the story was how cool and unbeatable Bats was in the end. I like seeing Bats as preparing for any possible insane circumstance, as nigh-invincible in the long run. This trend continued in “Last Rites” when just with his mind he manages to eff up Darkseid’s clone army, heh.

I also enjoyed how in the finale it wasn’t just Bats planning and brilliance that saved the day, but his family that came together to save him. After the years of being a loner and isolationist (which is mainly when I read him), it was pretty cool to see the close bonds he has with Nightwing, Robin, Alfred, Damien, Talia, the Knight and Squire, as they all ride in to his rescue.

While the Zurr-En-Argh costume was a little silly, I did think it was very cool that he has an entire backup personality, and having Bat-Mite as his spiritual guide was a good laugh as well. I like the way they leave it up in the air whether he was a hallucination or an actual 5th dimension imp.

Too bad I was spoiled that Jezebel Jet was a villain… that probably would have really shocked me. Are we to assume that Talia has tracked down and murdered all the Black Glove people? They showed her Man Bat army taking down Jet’s plane, presumably to kill her (but this IS comic books!).

When did Jezebel Jet first appear? Because she was there already established in the "The Black Glove" trade collection. What was the circumstances?

Why doesn't anybody seem to be terribly concerned that this far reaching conspiracy of Black Glove all know Bruce's secret identity?

The Joker part of the story was also really well done. Joker came off seriously creepy and insane in an interesting and fresh way. I liked how he was neither for the villains or Bats. I had no clue about the story where a Batman impersonator blows his brains out though… when did that happen and how did he not die from that? How come he has a noticeable bullet wound and Glasgow smile here… but didn’t in DC Universe Zero (which was reprinted in this very hardcover!) or Salvation Run?

As for Bats’ “death”, it didn’t bother me, but I read this having known his ultimate fate. The only question I had was the story point between Bats blowing up in the copter and him answering the Justice League’s call to investigate Orion’s murder.

I thought the Last Rites story was an interesting little aftermath. I’d actually forgotten the whole Darkseid angle to it, so when it shows him being interrogated by weird aliens that really threw me for a loop at first. It was a nice character analysis and “best of” hits. And I loved the line from Alfred at the end, about now matter how invincible the enemy is that holds him, there will be one fraction of a second when they will underestimate him and turn their back… and that’s when he’ll have them!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 12:28 AM   #2
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: Batman R.I.P. & Last Rites

I wasn't a fan of RIP overall. I thought it was overhyped and had a crappy ending. I did like Jet, the Black Glove concept, but I didn't get the whole Last Rites stuff about the lump, which I had first thought was Clayface, and the two scientist-Simyan and Mokkari. Could someone explain what was going on with that?
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 12:44 AM   #3
Mr Light
Admiral

It was during Final Crisis when Darkseid had captured Bats, he had him stuck in a virtual reality machine trying to clone his brain/body to make an army of perfect soldiers, but Bats perfect brain managed to pervert and destroy the entire thing. "The Lump" was the means of invading/converting his mind. So the entire flashback structure of the story was basically what Bats was experiencing in his mind as his memories were accessed.

Old March 25 2009, 01:50 AM   #4
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Did you read Batman and Son, which collected Morrison's first stories on the title? Jet was introduced in Morrison's second issue.

I recommend spending the time looking at the annotations for Morrison's run here. Some really interesting theories are given, as well as the connections to old Batman stories, including the original Batman of Zurenarrh.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 01:57 AM   #5
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
When did Jezebel Jet first appear? Because she was there already established in the "The Black Glove" trade collection. What was the circumstances?
I had no clue about the story where a Batman impersonator blows his brains out though… when did that happen and how did he not die from that? How come he has a noticeable bullet wound and Glasgow smile here… but didn’t in DC Universe Zero (which was reprinted in this very hardcover!) or Salvation Run?
Both those things happened in Morrison's first arc.

As to the Joker's appearance, Morrison's Joker is kind of...on his own in DC continuity; the other books have been using the more standard version (Morrison himself said he didn't expect anyone else to pick up on it).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 02:37 AM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

I did read Batman and Son but it was awhile ago. I guess when they introduced Jezebel I just blanked it away as another random bimbo. What were the circumstances? I do remember the trade opening with the Joker but I don't remember him getting shot in the head...

Old March 25 2009, 03:40 AM   #7
Thrall
Commodore

Grant Morrison makes me miss Judd Winnick and the magically reappearing emo-Jason Todd.
Old March 25 2009, 04:00 AM   #8
the Dagman
Commodore

Thrall wrote: View Post
Grant Morrison makes me miss Judd Winnick and the magically reappearing emo-Jason Todd.
You're in luck then! Winnick is taking over Batman after the current Battle For The Cowl series wraps and Batman resumes publishing.
Old March 25 2009, 04:04 AM   #9
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

the Dagman wrote: View Post
You're in luck then! Winnick is taking over Batman after the current Battle For The Cowl series wraps and Batman resumes publishing.
I'm pretty sure Grant Morrison is still doing the main Batman title.
Old March 25 2009, 04:08 AM   #10
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Funny you should say that.
sidious618 wrote: View Post
He's doing Batman and Robin, which, yeah, will presumably be the 'main' title of the line, given that Morrison > Winnick in the foodchain.

Me, I'm in for Greg Rucka's run on Detective Comics with Batwoman as the main feature and backups with Question II; huge Rucka fan, and it should be a great double-dose of his favourite thing: badass chicks (preferably lesbians).

Also may look at one of Paul Dini's two books; Gotham City Sirens is cheaper and has hot chicks, but Batman: Streets of Gotham has Dustin Nguyen on art and Manhunter backups by Marc Andreyko.

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; March 25 2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old March 25 2009, 04:16 AM   #11
Thrall
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
the Dagman wrote: View Post
Damn these pre-cog abilities of mine. WHY CAN'T I USE YOU FOR THE POWER OF GOOD!

Man I hate Dan Didio. He fires that badass old-schooler Chuck Dixon for having the balls to call that douchebag Morrison on all his pretencious bullshit. Now he's putting the two worst Batman writers of all time together in one glorious clusterfuck. It's like The Mega Powers of suck.
Old March 25 2009, 04:17 AM   #12
Mr Light
Admiral

My gawd I just saw the June solicts and there's like a dozen Bat titles coming out! He's getting more coverage than Wolverine... and he's not even alive! You'd think that out of all these titles one of them would be the adventures of Bruce Wayne, Prehistoric Caveman.

Old March 25 2009, 04:26 AM   #13
CaptainCanada
Admiral

You could only have him fight Vandal Savage so many times before that would get old, and he's about the only game in town back then.

- Homer Simpson
Old March 25 2009, 04:51 AM   #14
the Dagman
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
My gawd I just saw the June solicts and there's like a dozen Bat titles coming out! He's getting more coverage than Wolverine... and he's not even alive! You'd think that out of all these titles one of them would be the adventures of Bruce Wayne, Prehistoric Caveman.
All Bruce really needs to do to get back is to attract the attention of the Guardians on Oa, or whichever police force they are using at the time. Likely, the Manhunters. The Manhunter that finds him would be able to tell that he's an anomaly and would likely get ordered to transport him to Oa for further study. Once there, Bruce starts to relate what he knows of future history (thus accounting for many unexplained reasons and actions we have seen of them). The Guardians then decide to best contain this anomaly would be to return him to his proper time and place. And BAM! Batman's back in the Batcave.
Old March 25 2009, 05:11 AM   #15
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Have they shown who is the "new" Batman?