Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 23 2009, 02:39 PM   #31
PheonixRising
Fleet Captain

Re: What the frak do we do now.

Hopefully RDM raised the bar a bit for future sci fi on television. In 2003 while we were miring in bad star trek episodes and arguing over whether Richard Hatch's silly BSG revival was the air apparent, we got hit with the excellent BSG miniseries. I hope it will be remembered for taking chances at a time when sci fi tv needed some dynamic writing and a good dose of reality.

It wasnt perfect, there were clunker episodes, and some bad plot lines but more so than not, it hit the mark. It's a tv show. Taken as a whole it was one of the better one's. It revived a tv genre than needed a good kick in the a$$ and I hope other writers and producers will take note and realize that you dont have to play it safe in order to get ratings.

I see a lot of comments where people are analyzing every bit of minuate in the finale. I dont want to do that. Im happy we got a satisfying ending to an original sci fi show.

Im gonna pull out my B5 and DS9 DVD's, have a few marathons and then in a few months when the dust settles start watching BSG all over again with a newbie friend. It would be cool to see how the characters evolved from the beginning now that I know how it all turned out.
Old March 23 2009, 03:07 PM   #32
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'm watching "Dollhouse." And there's some kind of "Star Track" movie coming out in a few weeks.
Old March 23 2009, 03:30 PM   #33
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

What do we do now? We try to puzzle out what Languatron will rant about next, of course!
Old March 23 2009, 03:50 PM   #34
Starwind
Fleet Captain

Finally read a real, printed-on-paper book.
Old March 23 2009, 04:06 PM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Starwind wrote: View Post
Fuck that noise. Youtube awaits!
Old March 23 2009, 04:11 PM   #36
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Looking to Great Britain, BBCAmerica has been running Series 1 of Ashes to Ashes (not sure when/if there will be a Series 2), BBC just finished showing the first series of vampire+werewolf+ghost explore the human condition show called Being Human, and ITV just finished a run of a Buffy/Dracula knockish-off called Demons, which stars Philip Glenister.

If you haven't seen these, I highly recommend them.

Doctor Who will be having specials soon, and Torchwood Series 3 will be out this summer (and it will essentially be simulcast on both sides of the Pond).

In the US, we still have Caprica next month and The Plan this fall, with Caprica The Series in 2010. Stargate:Universe is up for 2010 too, and Warehouse 13 will likely go an entire season but will be as bad as Flash Gordon was.

If you're looking for some good reading, I also recommend Stephen R. Lawhead's Cymrufied Robin Hood Trilogy, Hood, Scarlet, and Tuck.

It's also possible that the new Trek movie will spurn an interest in a new TV series, which might be able to debut as a 2010 midseason, or a 2010-2011 regular season show, IF we generate the interest.

GI Joe comes out this summer, as does Wolverine.

And there's always the Soviet version of Sherlock Holmes to "obtain" if you're bored.
Old March 23 2009, 04:16 PM   #37
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Pretty much all my TV shows have ended now (The Shield, now BSG recently), and I haven't seen anything which has taken my interest.

I still watch Lost and Heroes, but they really aren't too great and not on the same level as BSG. I've never been a DW fan, well thats a lie I was when I was a kid but its just campy fun really.
Old March 23 2009, 05:37 PM   #38
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Zod wrote: View Post
vampgrrl wrote: View Post
When and where will info be posted on any BSG panel at DC 09? And Fleet Party? I'm definitely interested in going...its about the only way you can get me to leave my beloved New Orleans for a weekend.
On the DC web page you can get a list of guests which will change over the course of the summer. Some will drop out, new ones will be added. As for the schedule, well it comes out very close the the actual dates of the con. I did not know what time the events were going to happen till I got there the night before it started and waited in line to get the ID card, and in that same room they were handing out the event schedules and a book with general con information.

The fleet party was by far the best of the official parties imo. The firefly party was going on the same time as ours and none of the cast showed. For our party all of them in attendance showed up. The cast members mingled with us backstage and around the main room (especially Richard Hatch) and later on Aaron Douglas joined us for drinking in the Marriott. Michael Hogan even got on somebody's cell-phone and yelled at the guy on the other end as Tigh-which was very funny. It was a memorable party and overall great night.
The Fleet party will probably be on Saturday night, based on what it has been the last two years. So who are you on the Fleet?
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Old March 23 2009, 05:38 PM   #39
Nobody
Blame me, I voted Obama

Starwind wrote: View Post
My friends and I were more concerned about TV sci-fi then other media. We really became involved in the show, and it was certainly sad to see it go. There's nothing on TV we're invested in as BSG. Same goes with other media -- just not as emotionally invested in anything out there like we were BSG. Of course, we'll find something to entertain us and provoke our thoughts eventually.

-nobody
Old March 23 2009, 05:40 PM   #40
freak
Commodore

I'll probably wait until Caprica comes out on DVD and watch it. Then wait til the new Trek movie comes out and go see it. Until then, I'll stick to watching NCIS!
Old March 23 2009, 05:42 PM   #41
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Zod wrote: View Post
vampgrrl wrote: View Post
When and where will info be posted on any BSG panel at DC 09? And Fleet Party? I'm definitely interested in going...its about the only way you can get me to leave my beloved New Orleans for a weekend.
On the DC web page you can get a list of guests which will change over the course of the summer. Some will drop out, new ones will be added. As for the schedule, well it comes out very close the the actual dates of the con. I did not know what time the events were going to happen till I got there the night before it started and waited in line to get the ID card, and in that same room they were handing out the event schedules and a book with general con information.

The fleet party was by far the best of the official parties imo. The firefly party was going on the same time as ours and none of the cast showed. For our party all of them in attendance showed up. The cast members mingled with us backstage and around the main room (especially Richard Hatch) and later on Aaron Douglas joined us for drinking in the Marriott. Michael Hogan even got on somebody's cell-phone and yelled at the guy on the other end as Tigh-which was very funny. It was a memorable party and overall great night.
The Fleet party will probably be on Saturday night, based on what it has been the last two years. So who are you on the Fleet?
I did go to DC one year, several years ago and did meet Richard Hatch...he was very open to fans, very nice guy. I met Tricia Heilfer as well...who was wickedly nice as well.
(I was one of the first people who mailed tahmoh penikett's agent for an autograph, and I think he was so thrilled after the mini...he sent me back a head shot and hand wrote me out an entire 1 page letter...so I'm hoping he does come this year, if he can...I'd love to finally say hi all these years later)
Old March 23 2009, 05:46 PM   #42
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Oh and in reply what do we do now?
Besides ST, Caprica, etc.

The one thing I have gotten out of good scifi at times, is the ability to inspire myself to something better. Besides the fact that it is good drama at times, why are we drawn to scifi? It's the adventure, the journey, the larger than life stories...
BSG was one of many things that got me to leave Atlanta and move on to something else..or inspired me to think about the bigger picture, and where my life was headed.
Hell, I'm actually considering going skydiving...you only live once...unless your name is Kara Thrace.
Old March 23 2009, 05:54 PM   #43
Zod
Commander

I am

http://www.colonialfleet.org/quorum/...?showuser=1344

I don't post all that often there, but joined to stay in touch with the people I met at Dragon Con.
Old March 23 2009, 05:58 PM   #44
Gertch
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
With nuBSG over what are we supposed to do now besides wait for the Plan to come out in the fall.
Go on with your life. The future of humankind is up to you now.
Old March 23 2009, 06:01 PM   #45
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Gertch wrote: View Post
The future of humankind is up to you now.
It's our duty to stop the coming robot holocaust.