Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 21 2009, 09:19 AM   #31
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: My Official "The Ending Sucked" Thread

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I wouldn't say it sucks, but it wasn't what it could have been.

Make mention of how their technology isn't going to last them very long, that within a few generations they'll be throwing spears next to the natives, but to give up everything on a whim of "maybe this will work!" was just too much. The 12 endings made me start wondering when it would end too. The last 25 minutes or so was just this side of "meh."
I think they might have given that all up a little too SOON, but the basic idea I have no problem with. After all the running and fighting, I'm sure most of them were like "fuck it, we're going to stay here no matter what." And after being stuck on metal ships for so long, I can see how they'd be pretty sick of technology too.

Besides, just because they weren't going to built huge, gleaming cities doesn't mean they were giving up ALL technology, or that they couldn't still live decent lives in the country. It's not like they were going to start living like cavemen or anything. lol
Old March 21 2009, 09:20 AM   #32
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Master of Tarquin Hill wrote: View Post
IvosevicJ wrote: View Post

By the way, why the frak is Starbuck the harbinger of the apocalypse?
I have the feeling that the whole harbinger thing, and RDM's inability to resolve it, is the impetus behind RDM's declaration that it's the characters, not the plot. IOW, he abandoned that idea.
Apocalypse can mean rebirth as well. So it makes perfect sense actually.
Old March 21 2009, 09:26 AM   #33
billcosby
Commodore

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post

I have the feeling that the whole harbinger thing, and RDM's inability to resolve it, is the impetus behind RDM's declaration that it's the characters, not the plot. IOW, he abandoned that idea.
Oh, I like that.

Shoot, I've seen plenty worse finales than this one, I thought this was pretty good, acutally.

Old March 21 2009, 09:29 AM   #34
msbae
Commodore

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post

That was my thought as well. Kara may have just been a means towards an end in this mysterious plan God had, something we aren't meant to know.
Old March 21 2009, 10:21 AM   #35
Tyson
Fleet Captain

I don't like the "god did it" explaination because it's such a cliche in fiction and in real life; it's a non explaination for questions big and small. I enjoyed the finale, but that reveal does sort of cheapen the experience of the show for me, knowing that all the characters were just pawns in some nonsensical, internally inconsistent and logically impossible superbeing's asshole plans.
Old March 21 2009, 11:32 AM   #36
AlanC9
Fleet Captain

JNG wrote: View Post
I really do feel let down. Part of me wants to type some rage-filled Internet-style sick joke about the real God giving Ron Moore AIDS and how it'd just be returning the favor, but I don't want to cheapen my feelings of being let down by doing so. I feel genuinely disappointed. He had fucking angels walking around on modern-day streets looking at pictures of ASIMO in some attempt to go on pretending this was sci-fi. This was fucking Highway to Heaven.
I gotta point out that to the extent BSG ended up being Highway to Heaven, it always was.

HeadSix showed up showed up midway through the Mini, right? Exactly what did you think she was?
Old March 21 2009, 11:34 AM   #37
EstoniaKat
Lieutenant

USS Gettysburg wrote: View Post

Or, it clearly IS the message of the last episode.
I think that your summary of the message misses some big chunks. They abandoned technology not because it was bad, but because they naively believed that abandoning it would break the cycle. That didn't work, wiping the slate clean didn't stop humans from repeating the sins of humans (whatever angel Baltar said they were). I think the real message is the nuances of "All this has happened before, and will happen again." Technology is just one of the tools used to repeat the cycle, not the evil that drives it.
I don't know about that. I think the cycle, which has been repeating itself every few thousand years, IS broken. It has already missed dozens of fore-ordained iterations with the leap of 100,000 years. Heck, Earth I and the Colonies are probably very habitable at this point.

But the ending message was we have a choice now.
Old March 21 2009, 11:39 AM   #38
Klaitu
Commodore

I think people are assuming some things that aren't neccessarily true. We don't know that internal Six and Baltar are "angels" or that they were sent by "god". All we know is that Baltar thinks they are. What they actually are is never explained. Same thing with Starbuck. Sent by got? Never even alluded to. She doesn't seem to work in the same way that internal Six and Baltar do, though. I liked the ending a lot, but I think that parts of it fell a little bit short. Like the opera house thing. The Internals are claiming that Six and Baltar have a destiny, and it turns out that destiny is... to pick up Hera and carry her to CIC? I thought that was a weak point. It smacks of coming up with a solution after the fact.
Swashbuckling Space-Hero.
Old March 21 2009, 11:59 AM   #39
Jolly Old Saint James
Rear Admiral

I voted Below Avg for the ending and I felt that I was being kind.

To abandon technology and and embrace hunter-gather/agrarian living...that is what I waited for?

Kiss My Ass.

A WMD devastated earth was more interesting than this "back to the land" bullshit.

I am not happy.
Old March 21 2009, 12:05 PM   #40
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I just liked how the whole build up was to how important Hera will be to humanity and in the end... did it really matter? I suppose you could argue that it lead to the destruction of the "evil" Cylons but whoopdeedoo.

I totally agree that the whole "God did it" answer was a pretty cheap way to end the show. It's basically a way to not answer any questions because they couldn't figure out an actual in universe plot reason for anything to happen. It's almost as silly as a certain wacky plot point that happened on Lost this season.

Oh well, at least it's finally over. Whew.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old March 21 2009, 12:09 PM   #41
AlanC9
Fleet Captain

Klaitu wrote: View Post
We don't know that internal Six and Baltar are "angels" or that they were sent by "god".
But we do know that the sometimes work for something that is referred to as "God," and that they're immortal and non-physical. I don't have any word for them that works better than "angel."
Old March 21 2009, 12:13 PM   #42
Klaitu
Commodore

AlanC9 wrote: View Post
Klaitu wrote: View Post
We don't know that internal Six and Baltar are "angels" or that they were sent by "god".
But we do know that the sometimes work for something that is referred to as "God," and that they're immortal and non-physical. I don't have any word for them that works better than "angel."
Sure, it seems reasonable to call them angels, but their actual nature is completely different. Where's the wings and halos and whatnot? Why do they look like actual mortal beings, even after those mortal beings are dead?

Anyways, all the Count Iblis arguments aside, the idea of "angelic-like beings" looking out for the Battlestar crew is not unheard of.
Swashbuckling Space-Hero.
Old March 21 2009, 12:25 PM   #43
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, to be fair, the only reason they were called Angels was because Moore had to rely on a Western religion and Judeo-Christian mythology is the thing that everyone knows. He could have just as easily called them Valkyries or Furies or whatever.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old March 21 2009, 12:56 PM   #44
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I just liked how the whole build up was to how important Hera will be to humanity and in the end... did it really matter? I suppose you could argue that it lead to the destruction of the "evil" Cylons but whoopdeedoo.
She was also mitochondial Eve, the mother of modern humanity - rather more important than destroying the evil Cylons in the great scheme of things.
Old March 21 2009, 12:57 PM   #45
billcosby
Commodore

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
He could have just as easily called them Valkyries or Furies or whatever.
I'd have called them "chazzwazzers". [/Aussie accent]