RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,087
Posts: 5,398,893
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 520
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old March 21 2009, 05:50 AM   #16
Dar70
Rear Admiral
 
Dar70's Avatar
 
Location: Dar70
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Uh, we got a lot of answers to all of those questions.
Really? Okay, what were they. Saying "God did it" isn't an answer, that's what we've already known all along.
You have stated the EXACT problem with this show from the last 6 episodes.

Just one example:
Kara playing the piano = she's special. We've known that all along.

Well in the finale - we get a "kind of" definitive answer that head baltar and head six are some kind of agents of a "god", or "angels". We've known that all along.

They were either gonna find our earth in the past, present or future. We've known that all along.

You get my point. They can leave unanswered question, sure, but when the answers they DO give you, you have know for a long time, some even seasons long, that's very lame.

And when the one big answer they give you is "god did it" - YAWN.
Totally agree. I have liked this show to varying degrees over the years. It has had it ups and downs. It has been great the last two seasons, unfortunately they dropped the ball the last hour. But ya know shows that write themselves in a corner pretty much always end up like this. They get so contrived it ends up being a simple answer like"god".
Dar70 is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 05:50 AM   #17
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral
 
WeAreTheBorg's Avatar
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

nx1701g wrote: View Post

You answered your own question then: God did it and you've known it from the beginning. Have a problem with it? Get over it.
Given that we've been told this all along, it was reasonable to expect some explanation beyond that mystical explanation that really doesn't require any real explanation. I never expected that God would be debunked and revealed to be something else, I just wanted some insight into why all this happened. If God did it, WHY did he do it?
__________________
"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - GK Chesterton
WeAreTheBorg is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 05:54 AM   #18
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post

You answered your own question then: God did it and you've known it from the beginning. Have a problem with it? Get over it.
Given that we've been told this all along, it was reasonable to expect some explanation beyond that mystical explanation that really doesn't require any real explanation. I never expected that God would be debunked and revealed to be something else, I just wanted some insight into why all this happened. If God did it, WHY did he do it?
Good question. Probably something along the biblical route of humanity are God's children and he wants them to survive. The apocalypse where the Cylons destroyed the colonies of Kobol and they returned to Earth was another Doomsday. I read somewhere that when Glen A Larsen came up with the show it was meant to be Noah's Ark in space.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 05:59 AM   #19
Danoz
Rear Admiral
 
Danoz's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Uh, we got a lot of answers to all of those questions.
Agreed... I was happy with answers to every question the OP mentioned.
Danoz is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 06:00 AM   #20
Elwin Ransom
Commander
 
Location: Thulcandra
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

I actually find it kind of compelling that, after seasons of Six's faith in God coming across as trippy and kinda nuts, it turns out that really was just it. Sure, it raises a lot of questions; but these are some of the greatest questions asked by mankind throughout our history. If BSG tried to tie them up into a bow, it'd probably come across as trite. But to put forth the premise and leave a great deal to the audience's interpretation and imagination is quite bold. Especially when it is given in a modern sci-fi series.
Elwin Ransom is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 06:01 AM   #21
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

sidious618 wrote: View Post
The fact that God "doesn't like to be called that" leads me to think that he may not be so good.
Or he may be a very powerful alien, maybe The Lords of Light in this universe
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 06:02 AM   #22
Danoz
Rear Admiral
 
Danoz's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Uh, we got a lot of answers to all of those questions.
Really? Okay, what were they. Saying "God did it" isn't an answer, that's what we've already known all along.
You have stated the EXACT problem with this show from the last 6 episodes.

Just one example:
Kara playing the piano = she's special. We've known that all along.

Well in the finale - we get a "kind of" definitive answer that head baltar and head six are some kind of agents of a "god", or "angels". We've known that all along.

They were either gonna find our earth in the past, present or future. We've known that all along.

You get my point. They can leave unanswered question, sure, but when the answers they DO give you, you have know for a long time, some even seasons long, that's very lame.

And when the one big answer they give you is "god did it" - YAWN.
Honestly, FAR better "god did it" and leaving it open than trying to explain the cosmic unknowns in the show with something real and quantifiable. Say, for instance, we find out the "god" is some super, cosmic cylon from Kobol... okay... who cares? That doesn't do much for me. I prefer the open ending.
Danoz is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 06:02 AM   #23
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
"God is the answer" is only a way of saying that there is no answer.
That's not true, God can be an answer. Of course, it may not be "god" as it doesn't like to be called that, it could be a very powerful alien, Q like for example.
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 06:02 AM   #24
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

Yeah, the impression I got is that "God" is far from the Christian God or anything like that.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is online now  
Old March 21 2009, 06:03 AM   #25
Chess Piece Face
Commodore
 
Chess Piece Face's Avatar
 
Location: Akron, Ohio
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

Elwin Ransom wrote: View Post
I actually find it kind of compelling that, after seasons of Six's faith in God coming across as trippy and kinda nuts, it turns out that really was just it. Sure, it raises a lot of questions; but these are some of the greatest questions asked by mankind throughout our history. If BSG tried to tie them up into a bow, it'd probably come across as trite. But to put forth the premise and leave a great deal to the audience's interpretation and imagination is quite bold. Especially when it is given in a modern sci-fi series.
Yeah, well I thought that Six's faith in God coming across as trippy and kinda nuts was a fantastic thing. One of the best things about the series - to see a show that has the balls to show that viewpoint. Way to suck the wind out of those sails, Ron.
Chess Piece Face is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 06:03 AM   #26
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

We got a lot of answers, however the answers were horribly lame.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is online now  
Old March 21 2009, 06:05 AM   #27
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Yeah, the impression I got is that "God" is far from the Christian God or anything like that.
Indeed
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 06:05 AM   #28
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
We got a lot of answers, however the answers were horribly lame.
Your opinion, I disagree with it. I thought the answers made sense and I appreciate what we got.
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 06:06 AM   #29
Brolan
Commodore
 
Brolan's Avatar
 
Location: Backwoods Minnesota
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

We don't know if "God" is God. "It" doesn't like to be called God? What if "It" is a cylon-supercomputer that can manipulate matter from afar? Would that make people happier?
__________________
My use of revolutionary flags and symbols in no way endorses the group of morons known as The Tea Party
Brolan is offline  
Old March 21 2009, 06:07 AM   #30
V
Commodore
 
V's Avatar
 
Location: The Shadow Gallery
Re: Of the "BIG" questions, how many were answered?

All Along the Watchtower..... no


Kara's ressurection and her connection to Watchtower, Hera, God etc.... no


The opera house..... sort of. The visions, yes, the opera house itself.... no.


The head characters......... no.


The hybrids and Anders and their mystical insights.... no.
while I loved the finale, I am very annoyed that they went the "artsy" route of "lets just leave that as vague "its truly metaphysical godlike stuff"

I didn't mind the Bajoran prophet stuff on DS9 because that at least had its own rules....remember when this show was hardcore military scifi?

Yeah, they didn't directly address any of this....particularly, why did they have to KILL Starbuck to send essentially a HeadStarbuck that everyone could see and touch. That wasn't explained well and I"m annoyed that they thought it would be more intriguing to leave it as just "it really was a miracle of god"

the characters and fight scenes were incredible, though
__________________
"Its about the characters, stupid" - Ron D Moore
"What baloney. BSG was about the writers wanting to achieve a pre-determined end point, and they jerked the characters around so that they would achieve that goal." - Temis the Vorta
V is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
daybreak

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.