Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 21 2009, 04:52 AM   #16
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Re: Who / What is Kara Thrace?

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Whatever you want to think she was, you're right. They didn't tell us.

Exactly. It was a copout. I aways found the whole god thing funny since RM tried to be so realistic during the show. No aliens, no wierd phenomena, etc.(not to say religion isnt realistic but it just felt forced in this last ep) I was hoping that the god thing was just a metaphor.
Old March 21 2009, 04:53 AM   #17
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Dar70 wrote: View Post

Exactly. It was a copout. I aways found the whole god thing funny since RM tried to be so realistic during the show. No aliens, no wierd phenomena, etc.(not to say religion isnt realistic but it just felt forced in this last ep) I was hoping that the god thing was just a metaphor.
Well they did say it doesn't like to be called God, maybe in this universe its an alien or something, a powerful alien, hey, maybe it is Q!

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old March 21 2009, 04:54 AM   #18
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Twilight wrote: View Post
A fucked up girl with a destiny?

An angel?

The harbinger of death?

A pigeon?

One of the truly great characters in all of Battlestar?

All of the above.

But mostly, a pigeon.
Old March 21 2009, 04:56 AM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Exactly. It was a copout.
Sorry you feel that way - well no, no I'm not. I don't actually care.
Old March 21 2009, 05:01 AM   #20
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I'm wondering how Jesus fits in. He did resurrect, you know.
Old March 21 2009, 05:05 AM   #21
Dar70
Rear Admiral

My theory is that Starbuck never died. It was never answered why she came back. So we dont know and never will. End of story.

She didnt disappear into thin air at the end. She just ran really fast before Apollo turned around.
Old March 21 2009, 05:10 AM   #22
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Starbuck is a star child, like Dave Bowman. The mini-series had a whole 2001 vibe, and so did the end.

-Chris
Old March 21 2009, 05:11 AM   #23
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

But didn't the hybrid say she would lead the human race to their doom? Maybe not that exact wording but it wasn't just "end" it was sinister sounding.

But hey, I guess she did because if you think about it all of humanity did die out and the Hera based, mitochondrial eve based people lived on.

So that's a little fuzzy to me. Does it mean that the human race (Adama and company) never had a chance anyway and that their sole purpose was to get Hera to Earth II?

Also - If Kara is an angel or an agent of God or whatever - why all the mystery? Why can't she just know what to do and where to go?
Old March 21 2009, 05:13 AM   #24
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

The dying (dead) leader who brought them home.
Old March 21 2009, 05:14 AM   #25
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

arch101 wrote: View Post
She's the Gandalf of BSG. Brought back from the dead to fulfill a purpose, then to disappear into the mist when her job is done. I'm OK with that and nothing more.
My thoughts, as well.

And I'm totally okay with that. We expect science fiction to always give us the answers. What I like about BSG is the way it prefers to leave us with questions. It's not good if the questions aren't interesting, but in this case, I think they are. I had a feeling her existence would not be concretely explained, and I'm fine with that. The mystical elements have always been part of the show. This is just one more thread in the tapestry.
My blog
Old March 21 2009, 05:15 AM   #26
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
But didn't the hybrid say she would lead the human race to their doom? Maybe not that exact wording but it wasn't just "end" it was sinister sounding.

But hey, I guess she did because if you think about it all of humanity did die out and the Hera based, mitochondrial eve based people lived on.
The survivors spread out over Earth. Early humans were already migrating by then. The idea that only Hera's ancestors lived is pretty silly. Unless you take into account the Great Flood, since religion is real in this universe. Maybe Noah and company were Hera descendants.
Old March 21 2009, 05:16 AM   #27
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Unless RDM says something different in the podcast I firmly believe that Kara died in "Maelstorm" as a continuation of her destiny. She (actually Kara not an angel or something) was brought back to lead the people to Earth (2). When that was accomplished she had no reason to remain and therefore stopped existing as it were. I hope that's making some sense (I'm really tired.).
Old March 21 2009, 05:19 AM   #28
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post

The survivors spread out over Earth. Early humans were already migrating by then. The idea that only Hera's ancestors lived is pretty silly. Unless you take into account the Great Flood, since religion is real in this universe. Maybe Noah and company were Hera descendants.
Hera being Eve is no more unlikely than any other individual being Eve. This is 150,000 years ago, after all. Several ice ages followed, and humanity was reduced to about 10,000 people roughly 70,000 years ago. If the vast majority of those 10,000 were descended from Hera, which is at least plausible, then interbreeding would have finished the job over time.
My blog
Old March 21 2009, 05:21 AM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

The survivors spread out over Earth. Early humans were already migrating by then. The idea that only Hera's ancestors lived is pretty silly.
Except that the reference there is real science, not something Moore made up. He's referencing Mitochondrial Eve, who really lived about 140,000 years or so ago.
Old March 21 2009, 05:23 AM   #30
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

The survivors spread out over Earth. Early humans were already migrating by then. The idea that only Hera's ancestors lived is pretty silly.
Except that the reference there is real science, not something Moore made up. He's referencing Mitochondrial Eve, who lived about 140,000 years or so ago.
Making Hera out to be Mitochondrial Eve is, I admit, really ballsy and brilliant. They had to do something to make her live up to the hype... mission accomplished! I don't think there is any more important role they could have given her.
My blog