Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 23 2009, 01:24 AM   #1
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

Legend of the Seeker - S1E16 - Bloodline

I must say.... 15 minutes in and I dont think that the writers believe this show will last several seaons... they bring in a character type that doesn't show up in the books till the 6th or 7th... at least they got the relationship right brother/sister...

at this point... i wonder if they find out darken raul is their father...
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Othello
Commodore

Re: Legend of the Seeker - S1E16 - Bloodline

I really enjoyed this episode.. it makes sense from a TV perspective to nto so closely hew to the books. I think this will surely go several more season epecially after getting an easy renewal for next season already..

As to the episode.. more Denna is ALWAYS a good thing in my book....
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Lt. Trull wrote: View Post
I must say.... 15 minutes in and I dont think that the writers believe this show will last several seaons... they bring in a character type that doesn't show up in the books till the 6th or 7th... at least they got the relationship right brother/sister...

I was thinking the same thing. This would make them full brother and sister and not just half-siblings.

Not too bad an episode. At least Richard knows Zedd is his Grandfather now.
Old March 25 2009, 03:26 PM   #4
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

The thing that doesn't make sense in the series is why would Zedd's daughter have another child with Darken Rahl if she had to hide Richard to keep him safe?
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Dionysis
Ensign

View Dionysis's Twitter Profile

That's assuming they are gonna keep the 'rule' that only darken rahl can have pristinely ungifted children. And assuming she is darken rahl's daughter
Dionysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 04:46 PM   #6
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Dionysis wrote: View Post
That's assuming they are gonna keep the 'rule' that only darken rahl can have pristinely ungifted children. And assuming she is darken rahl's daughter
Why else would she be kept in a "soft prison" instead of being killed?
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 06:56 PM   #7
FreezeC77
Commodore

I agree this episode felt really cobbled together quite strangely. They forced A LOT into it. Richard finds out he has a sister, he finds out his sister is immume to all forms of magic. Denna appears again, Richard's mother, who is Zedd's daughter appears and Richard finds out Zedd is his Grandfather. His sister then sneaks into Darken Rahl's palace steals his two boxes of Orden (in about 45 secs of screen time), Richard then puts them all together and gains the powers of them.

All in about what, 48 minutes of show minus commercials? Jeez.

You know as soon as Darken Rahl instructed Denna to go get someone he felt threatened him even more then the seeker and we saw a red-haired girl with that GOD DAMNED goat. I started grinding my teeth. Jensen is probably one of the most annoying characters in all of the books. She would drag that stupid friggin goat all over with her.

I have to say the producers did a great job casting her because as soon as she first spoke I found the actresses portrayal of Jensen to annoy me almost as much as the character did in the books

The thing is I have no idea now where the series is going to go. They've changed a lot from the books. I'm pretty sure nobody ever gained the full power of the boxes of Orden until the very last book in the series.

I don't really like the way they changed the boxes of Orden from the books either. You didn't need to combine them all like it was Voltron or something. You needed them all because only 1 of the boxes was real and if you opened up the wrong one you'd either destroy the world or kill yourself and be taken to the underworld.

Infact the change to that means the final confrontation between Richard & Darken Rahl is likely to be very different from what happened in the book. I'm now wondering if it will happen in S1 or if Darken Rahl will be the main villain for the entirety of the series?

Which would kind of suck because I really want Nicci to appear since she is my favorite character in the books and I feel like they might actually be giving elements of Nicci to Denna.

Last edited by FreezeC77; March 25 2009 at 07:23 PM.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

well.. I wonder at this time if the writers have any idea where they are going... they've destroyed the orden / sword of truth / confessor dynamic all together.
Old March 26 2009, 01:37 AM   #9
cb31
Lieutenant Commander

I thought this episode wasn't bad, I was impressed that they actually had the balls to let Richard's mom die. It sounds like those of us who haven't read the books have a better chance of enjoying the show than those who have and notice all the discrepancies!
cb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 02:10 AM   #10
FreezeC77
Commodore

cb31 wrote: View Post
I thought this episode wasn't bad, I was impressed that they actually had the balls to let Richard's mom die. It sounds like those of us who haven't read the books have a better chance of enjoying the show than those who have and notice all the discrepancies!
Possibly. I'm not saying all changes are bad just because the books aren't exactly excellent works of literature. I mean hell the way Jensen was introduced in the books is we got like almost an entire book about her and then Richard, Kahlen, et all... appeared near the end of it.

Imagine if JK Rowling suddenly introduced a long-lost sister of Harry and that was an entire book with Harry, et. all appearing at the end of it...
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 02:28 AM   #11
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

O and dont forget to throw in that the only relation that jensen and richard have in the books is the same father... now the tv throws in that richard and jensen have the same mother, grandfather... and who knows what else...

but the new stuff the writers have thrown at us throws all that into doubt.
Old March 26 2009, 12:11 PM   #12
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

O and dont forget to throw in that the only relation that jensen and richard have in the books is the same father... now the tv throws in that richard and jensen have the same mother, grandfather... and who knows what else...

but the new stuff the writers have thrown at us throws all that into doubt.
In response to your spoiler...

Old March 26 2009, 05:04 PM   #13
Scout101
Admiral

They are all over the place, now. Burning though plot points so quickly it feels they'll be out of gas and ideas from the books within a season. Don't understand why they make some of the changes they do, though, when seemingly important parts of the books (Book of Counted Shadows, whole deal with the Boxes, etc) are just tossed aside as unimportant plots of the week, or their purpose is changed for no real reason. Why bother to call it the Sword of Truth series anyway, why not just call it Generic Fantasy Adventure Story? They're not borrowing plots and backstory very well...

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Checkmate
Commodore

Nice spoiler warning there.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 08:24 PM   #15
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

^That's what I was about to say. Guys, not everyone watching the show has read the books! Granted, they seem to be changing a lot, judging by the posts here, but it's not nice to post spoilers like that with no code!